Parents 6 month trial

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

annsethlucy

Proud Parent
The gym we are at trialed 250 girls and 20 got on to the squad. My dd was one of them. But what I didn't realise at the time was they are now on a 6 month trial and at the end of it they decide if they keep them or not. We are halfway through and there was a meeting yesterday. They said they were looking at if the girls listened and wanted to be there and had good attention. They played games to see who would be first to respond etc and that's most important. Then they consider their flexibility and strength.
My daughter lives and breathes gymnastics. She is the strongest and most flexible there and I would say she is in the top 5 for most things. But when they say things she often waits until everyone has done it to then do her move. She listens and wants to improve but she is a nervous wee thing. Not in terms of nervous to do new things or fear if getting hurt. But she is shy and afraid that she will do it wrong.
I'm really nervous for her that she won't get through because of this. She would be heartbroken. We moved from another gym for this because she LOVES this gym. If she loses this place it could take a while to get a place anywhere.
Anyone any experience?

They have obviously recognised her talent and work ethic if she was one of only 20 to be selected from 250.

I wouldn’t stress too much. The problem with trialling kids from other gyms, is you can see how they go on trail day, when they are obviously there to impress, but until you have them training on the team it’s hard to know the kind of effort they put in on a long term basis. The 6 month trial is probably just in place to ensure the kids really are prepared to do the work. It sounds like your DD is, so she should be fine.

I know but they have already said they won't be keeping everyone. I guess I will just have to wait and see. I haven't told her she may not be kept. Fingers crossed I don't need to.

That sounds like terrible practice! I would be super upset if my kid was in a system like that where there is so much stress on 5-6 year olds! Rec and preteam are for things like this and then usually we have xcel programs for kids who are not their top picks or families who want less hours and jo for kids/families who are all in and have talent. No one gets just cut or the kids don’t get their hopes up that they are on a team and then not. It is clear from the beginning what the paths are and there is a place for everyone if they want it.

I've not heard of excel programmes. Maybe it's different here. We are in NI. They have said if they get cut they will be put top of list for recreational.

Don’t forget the flip side of this trial period. You should be trying the gym out too if they are a good fit for your daughter and not just the other way around. The longevity and hence success of a gymnast also depends on how the coaches treat their gymnasts, the intensity or lack of intensity of the program. Many very talented gymnasts have quit despite their success because of the latter.

Xcel is a US program so if you're in the United Kingdom it wouldn't apply. I know almost nothing about gymnastics in Northern Ireland, but I will say that if your daughter is among the strongest and most flexible I highly doubt she'll get cut unless she's actively disruptive in some way. As long as she participates willingly and has a good attitude, I doubt they're going to knock her for not being the first one jumping out of her seat to try something. And if they do, well, it just may not be the right gym for her. Trying to coach her into changing her personality is a great way to make a kid hate gymnastics. There have been many wildly successful gymnasts with shy personalities, and if this gym would cut her from the squad simply because she isn't the most outgoing of the group then it might be for the best that she find somewhere else to train that will accept her as she is.

It just seems like a lot of time put in not knowing if she’ll be on the team. Is this how all the gyms there do it? Our teams are picked from the recreation classes. They get evaluated and placed on team or pre-team according to their skill level, and then train that level.

Thank you for all replies. I think normally they pick from the rec classes. However. We live in a very rural location and our nearest gym was 20 minutes away. She went there for a little while. And almost straight away they told me she needed to be moved up. Moved her into a class with much older children. They had no squad so that's all they could offer. One of the best gyms in the country is 50 minutes away and was holding trials so we tried out and she absolutely loved it. So much more equipment. Coaches seem very good. So when she was picked we went for it. I don't think that's how most gyms operate but I think alot of people want their children to go here as its supposedly the best so maybe they can afford to be a little fussy on who they take? I don't know. I'm not complaining they have been lovely and explained very well and also said whoever's isn't picked can go on recreational. They will still be watched as they all have talent but some might just not be fit for squad.

It sounds very stressful! It seems like your gym has been forthcoming with information and you know what to expect which is a plus. This is not what it's like in my area but I think I understand your situation with limited gyms where you live plus what sounds like a talented kiddo on your hands. I think all you can do is sit back and see how it plays out and come up with a back up plan if she is cut. Rest assured that your DD was selected from the tryout and she's keeping up with skills. The ability to listen is very different from shyness and I would think that she will get points some points for her coachability/attitude even if she is on the quiet side.

So what happens to the girls who don’t make it? Do they have another stream for them or are they expected to just quit or go back to their original gyms?

I feel for you. We are also in the UK, and my then 6yo dd also had a 6 month trial at one gym. I really dislike the amount of pressure on very young UK gymnasts just to keep their place in the squads. Never mind 'not going up a level' like in the US, here they are just fighting to continue doing the sport they love. It's horrible. There are just not enough places to go around (not enough coaches/facilities) for the number of girls wanting to do it. My dd sadly 'failed' her trial after the six months, and we were very lucky to find another gym club that would have her in their squad, and so far so good, but it's still a constant risk, even when the initial trial is finished. Most clubs reassess at least annually, and after our experience we are more nervous than most about her losing her place. Sorry, I'm not trying to make you worry more, and fingers crossed your dd will pass her trial no problems, but just before you get in too deep - this is a permanent worry in every club I know here.

Coach just phoned me about insurance and I was saying I had switched it from her previous gym.( she didn't go for long and didn't really learn anything there.) The coach asked had she been to one previously and I said yes and now I'm worrying that will go against her if others haven't?

No I don't think so. It's really down to her strength, flexibility, enthusiasm, ability to take corrections etc. Just have an answer ready for 'why did you leave' although they might not even ask.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back