WAG 7 year old Level 4,5 or 6?? Coaches input needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Could you give me an example of what you mean by "how it's handled by coaches and parents"? What would be an example of each coach and parent handling it well vs poorly?

I will PM you some examples of what happened with a few kids I have worked with.

I vote L5 or L7. No L4 or L6

I agree w/ your gym's philosophy of skipping L6. If someone doesn't have L7 skills, It is preferable to have the scrutiny and higher competition level of L5 in my opinion.

From what you have said, I would definitely skip L4. Other than a tap swing and beginning blind (1/2 turn dismount), and beam cartwheel, (all of which you are doing anyway), there are no basics being missed. You just essentially add a clear -hip (the gatekeeper skill IMO), flyaway, baby giant, back tuck, front tuck, and a back walkover on beam (or flip flop--my preference for preserving the spine).

I don't mind the idea of going right to L7, but I agree w/ GYM0M that TOPS will probably leave you crunched for time, and a partial year of L5 might be helpful. You could probably play that by ear when you get there.

I really like the new level 6, it has a really important place for those girls who are struggling to reach level 7 but want their own routines and more choice or skills and also for those who are young, don't want to repeat 5 and have level 7 skills on a most but not all pieces. Used wisely I think it can keep the momentum of progress going forwards.

But not necessary for some girls who can move comfortably from 5 to 7. Interesting that many people seem to be skipping level 4 when in the past most people seemed to skips old level 6. The two levels are similar and I can see a team opting for one or the other.

The problem with really fast progress is that basics can be rushed and just not the quality you need later on. All split leaps and jumps should be reaching full split, jump to catch, long upstart, cast handstand should all be in beautiful shapes. They are the building blocks for higher skills. Not worth rushing.

I meant to Ask... how many hours a week does she practice? And what is the difference in hours for the different levels - that would be my only possible sticking point... along with wondering how she does in school. I know she is young, but I have seen some students struggle with an increase in gym hours.
She trains 19 hours. She's in 2nd grade and testing at 3rd and 4th grade so no issue there. She loves school and LOVES the gym! She's been doing good with 9 hrs of sleep each night and we will continue to monitor her. We have a great relationship with our school (many family members teach and are in administration)!

We don't have a big program and it's relatively new, but the few kids we have had who were that young and skipped levels that quickly are no longer doing gymnastics. They too were scoring 38+ as level 3's. I know there are exceptions, but that is an awful lot of pressure for a 7 yr old. Just a caveat. Maybe your daughter is one of the ones who would do fine.

19 hours at 2nd grade sounds like a recipe for burnout. The skills start getting hard and there comes a time where gym isn't always fun. Most of our girls loved gym at that age. Mine literally wanted to move to into the gym so she could be there all the time. She would tell me where we could fit all of our furniture. She's now in 6th grade and on her third year of 20+ hours of gym and gym isn't always fun. The approach changed from something she did for fun to something she works at because it's important to her. But I don't know if she would say she does gym just for fun anymore.

If your DD stays in gym until she graduates, that will mean 11 years at ~20 hours. And of course that's if she survives puberty, boys, and injury rehab. I know that these things weren't even on my mom radar when mine was in 2nd grade, but it will come sooner than you think. And we've been lucky because my DD hasn't had a single injury to have to work through.

I guess I'm just reiterating what I stated earlier.....skipping/testing out of levels isn't always a great thing. Especially if your DD is going to be significantly younger than her teammates. My child gets so lonely at gym because she's everyone "little sister" but no one's friend. So she gets to hear about all of her teammates shopping trips and sleep overs and see their group vacation pictures but she's never invited. Watching her cry over that gets really old.

19 hours at 2nd grade sounds like a recipe for burnout. The skills start getting hard and there comes a time where gym isn't always fun. Most of our girls loved gym at that age. Mine literally wanted to move to into the gym so she could be there all the time. She would tell me where we could fit all of our furniture. She's now in 6th grade and on her third year of 20+ hours of gym and gym isn't always fun. The approach changed from something she did for fun to something she works at because it's important to her. But I don't know if she would say she does gym just for fun anymore.

If your DD stays in gym until she graduates, that will mean 11 years at ~20 hours. And of course that's if she survives puberty, boys, and injury rehab. I know that these things weren't even on my mom radar when mine was in 2nd grade, but it will come sooner than you think. And we've been lucky because my DD hasn't had a single injury to have to work through.

I guess I'm just reiterating what I stated earlier.....skipping/testing out of levels isn't always a great thing. Especially if your DD is going to be significantly younger than her teammates. My child gets so lonely at gym because she's everyone "little sister" but no one's friend. So she gets to hear about all of her teammates shopping trips and sleep overs and see their group vacation pictures but she's never invited. Watching her cry over that gets really old.

Gosh, I agree. I'm not sure why this is such a race. I see time and time again folks posting that" it's a marathon not a sprint," but it sure doesn't seem that way! I have to laugh at all the public instagrams of 3-5 yr olds who are training to compete level 4. Yes, 3 yr olds. Saw one being spotted on a fly away yesterday. But I digress. Maybe I'm jealous bc my 8 yr old isn't ready for level 7?? But even if she were, that is A LOT of years to stay at those high levels and hard on the body too! I know there are one in a million who can do it. This just seems a little over the top though. Although I will say I don't see the sense in hanging out in levels 1-3 if they are ready to move on...

I think this all boils down to what the Coaches feel is best for her! There is so much more to think about than what skills she can do. Learning how to compete is huge- emotionally how she can take the pressure of such a huge jump. Skipping levels is not uncommon- even skipping 2 and 3 levels. As a parent of a young gymnast that has gone though this similar experience you need to follow the lead of the coaches and the gyms philosophy. If you trust them with helping her grow as a gymnast and staying free from injury- trust that they will get her where she needs to be when its time to get there. Enjoy it!

My DD did this last season. Tested out of 4 and 5 last summer to compete 6. My daughter was 7 years old as well. It was great for her- she loves competing optionals. She didn't score great to start, but her improvement was amazing. She will compete 6 again- I expect she will do very well this season.

Okay, I'm going to add my 2 cents. I have a 7 year old L5. She has level 7 skills as well. We just switched to a gym that has elites & tons of level 10's. She's doing 16 hours a week at this time. I have actually been so happy that they haven't suggested her skip to 6 or 7 yet. My feeling is that she's already there so much and in compulsories & it's still fun. Once they hit optionals, it's a tougher mentality and really becomes less fun and more stressful. She's 7. Even if your dd skips and competes l8 as an 8 year old, 9 as a 9 year old and 10 as a 10 year old, elite at 11. That's awesome but I just keep thinking about her body as an adult. My only goal with my DD is to keep her interested and happy with gymnastics through high school. If she happens to go farther than that, icing on the cake. She wants to compete in college. She wants to compete in the Olympics. She has
huge dreams. We support and encourage her. I think when kids burn out, it's because both parents and coaches begin to push the kids and expect more and more. And I understand wanting more for them, but it's when they begin thinking everybody wants more from them that they get burned out. Or that's what I've witnessed.That said, with your dd, I would skip 4 & compete 5. There's not much difference in the 2 levels. If she competes 5, she'll have a great year and still be training upskills. The next year she can skip 6 and compete 7 or 8. I think holding her back a tiny bit is just being responsible. She's 7 and I'm sure her personality is like my dd, very driven. I love that!! But as parents of very driven children, being a voice of reason is being responsible. Keep us posted on what the final decision is!!

My dd also "skipped" 4 and 5 and competed six. There was discussion of seven but ultimately they decided not to push too hard and do six. It was a big jump but she adjusted and improved as the season progressed. Their focus was on her development in the gym, not scores that year and that seemed to work really well. The following season she was back to scoring in the high 37s at level seven and is set up to be a strong level 8 this season.

We have several young talented optionals and I have seen them go all ways. Some moved too fast and burnt out. Some need the next big skill as incentive and moving fast has worked from them. Some have struggled because they weren't necessarily given the chance to perfect the basics. Others seem to have moved at the perfect pace for them. Some have been riddled with injuries. Sometimes you just can't predict.

We don't have an elite track group so to speak so the high potential kids have all been given what the coaches thought they needed at the time and for the most part the coaches have been right. I would trust their judgment. I know I struggled with wondering what was right back when she was seven/eight as well. Now I know they have her and it is so much easier to deal with the day to day. The higher they go the more there is to worry about, just totally different things.

I guess I never really thought of my dd's progression as fast tracked even, and granted she was eight not seven when it happened. She has moved at the pace that is right for her. There were a couple who have moved faster, a couple who are right with her but took a different path there and even more that were identified early, shot out of the gate and either stalled out, began to struggle with fear, puberty, injury or big skills. 38s at level 3 really mean very little.

Sorry, I tend to ramble. My advice would be to not go too fast but let the coaches drive for the most part. I think five or six would be a great option for this year, both work the same skill set. Six, I think better than five but that is just my opinion. Six worked great as a popping in point for my dd.

I would caution seven, especially if she going to do tops too. Even if she has all the level six skills and the seven ones are coming along nicely seven is a whole new ball game and the competition in those youngest age groups is fierce and she can compete all those seven skills at six if they want her to. She would need very strong skills, dance and shapes to do well at seven. Not that scores matter but it can be somewhat defeating for some kids to go out and get trounced every meet. Not saying that is what would happen, just perspective. There were a couple really young sevens at meets last year that looked deer in headlights most of the time. Seven is just like a whole different world. No need to rush there when she is so young still. But ultimately the coaches decide so I hope they are great, experienced and will make the right decisions for her.

There just really is plenty of time. My dd isn't the youngest highest level at our gym but she is still right on track to reach her goals, is healthy, happy and still can't wait to go to practice each day. With these crazy high goals and these super intense kids those things have to be the priority or they will never make it.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing more of her journey.

I totally agree and want to avoid any of those issues! But could I hurt her by holding her back? I don't really see how I could because she trains upper level skills anyway, always has!

At this, age, I don't think so. She can always skip later on. If she enters Hopes, for example, she might skip level 8. Who knows. I would still have her compete level 4. I just think that many levels too fast is a lot of pressure to score out, learn routines, etc and she can always just do level 7 next year with only scoring out of level 5 which puts her in the same exact place.

My dd also "skipped" 4 and 5 and competed six. There was discussion of seven but ultimately they decided not to push too hard and do six. It was a big jump but she adjusted and improved as the season progressed. Their focus was on her development in the gym, not scores that year and that seemed to work really well. The following season she was back to scoring in the high 37s at level seven and is set up to be a strong level 8 this season.

We have several young talented optionals and I have seen them go all ways. Some moved too fast and burnt out. Some need the next big skill as incentive and moving fast has worked from them. Some have struggled because they weren't necessarily given the chance to perfect the basics. Others seem to have moved at the perfect pace for them. Some have been riddled with injuries. Sometimes you just can't predict.

We don't have an elite track group so to speak so the high potential kids have all been given what the coaches thought they needed at the time and for the most part the coaches have been right. I would trust their judgment. I know I struggled with wondering what was right back when she was seven/eight as well. Now I know they have her and it is so much easier to deal with the day to day. The higher they go the more there is to worry about, just totally different things.

I guess I never really thought of my dd's progression as fast tracked even, and granted she was eight not seven when it happened. She has moved at the pace that is right for her. There were a couple who have moved faster, a couple who are right with her but took a different path there and even more that were identified early, shot out of the gate and either stalled out, began to struggle with fear, puberty, injury or big skills. 38s at level 3 really mean very little.

Sorry, I tend to ramble. My advice would be to not go too fast but let the coaches drive for the most part. I think five or six would be a great option for this year, both work the same skill set. Six, I think better than five but that is just my opinion. Six worked great as a popping in point for my dd.

I would caution seven, especially if she going to do tops too. Even if she has all the level six skills and the seven ones are coming along nicely seven is a whole new ball game and the competition in those youngest age groups is fierce and she can compete all those seven skills at six if they want her to. She would need very strong skills, dance and shapes to do well at seven. Not that scores matter but it can be somewhat defeating for some kids to go out and get trounced every meet. Not saying that is what would happen, just perspective. There were a couple really young sevens at meets last year that looked deer in headlights most of the time. Seven is just like a whole different world. No need to rush there when she is so young still. But ultimately the coaches decide so I hope they are great, experienced and will make the right decisions for her.

There just really is plenty of time. My dd isn't the youngest highest level at our gym but she is still right on track to reach her goals, is healthy, happy and still can't wait to go to practice each day. With these crazy high goals and these super intense kids those things have to be the priority or they will never make it.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing more of her journey.

You make such an excellent point about level 7. My daughter scored very well in compulsory levels. She also did well at the new optional 6 as well. Hitting level 7, it was a new game. 37's were much tougher to come by, where 38's were more commonplace for her up to that point. It was a big learning experience for my then 9 year old. One meet she didn't place at all. Zippo. She was sad and hadn't experienced that before. It was a super teaching moment. The younger they are the harder it can be to process all of this. Those young level 7's are extremely competitive and add in new pressures, it can be a bit rough. Just something to think about.

Okay, I'm going to add my 2 cents. I have a 7 year old L5. She has level 7 skills as well. We just switched to a gym that has elites & tons of level 10's. She's doing 16 hours a week at this time. I have actually been so happy that they haven't suggested her skip to 6 or 7 yet. My feeling is that she's already there so much and in compulsories & it's still fun. Once they hit optionals, it's a tougher mentality and really becomes less fun and more stressful. She's 7. Even if your dd skips and competes l8 as an 8 year old, 9 as a 9 year old and 10 as a 10 year old, elite at 11. That's awesome but I just keep thinking about her body as an adult. My only goal with my DD is to keep her interested and happy with gymnastics through high school. If she happens to go farther than that, icing on the cake. She wants to compete in college. She wants to compete in the Olympics. She has
huge dreams. We support and encourage her. I think when kids burn out, it's because both parents and coaches begin to push the kids and expect more and more. And I understand wanting more for them, but it's when they begin thinking everybody wants more from them that they get burned out. Or that's what I've witnessed.That said, with your dd, I would skip 4 & compete 5. There's not much difference in the 2 levels. If she competes 5, she'll have a great year and still be training upskills. The next year she can skip 6 and compete 7 or 8. I think holding her back a tiny bit is just being responsible. She's 7 and I'm sure her personality is like my dd, very driven. I love that!! But as parents of very driven children, being a voice of reason is being responsible. Keep us posted on what the final decision is!!
This is along the lines of how I feel as well! I coach also so that's part of why she is at the gym so many hours. Since she was 3 they have had her join classes while I coach do she's not playing and learning bad technique. I feel strong about competing L5, I don't see how it would hurt her? Good Luck to your little one!

Go to fast and you will spend all your time fixing the fear issue (then your future post could be, "ugh,, flyaway fear, anyone have this problem"? ) In other words, going fast has its negatives, but what you should be asking are these questions. What benefit will my DD have by moving up super young? Answer; She will compete against older girls, and will be the youngest in the age group. Example, I had a child who was a 9 year old level 8 and we were thrilled about it, until,,, we went to state and she got cleaned out by 11 year olds, same thing at regionals.... Next year same story, 10 year old level 9, yay! right? Wrong,.... So the bottom line is so long as you are working on the skills it's irrelevant what level you compete so long as you are competitive, as nothing and I mean NOTHING replaces the drive spawned by success. This is why I get annoyed with people screaming about people holding kids back at a young age,, its very easy to forget that someones DD also needs success even if it means beating yours. :)

Go to fast and you will spend all your time fixing the fear issue (then your future post could be, "ugh,, flyaway fear, anyone have this problem"? ) In other words, going fast has its negatives, but what you should be asking are these questions. What benefit will my DD have by moving up super young? Answer; She will compete against older girls, and will be the youngest in the age group. Example, I had a child who was a 9 year old level 8 and we were thrilled about it, until,,, we went to state and she got cleaned out by 11 year olds, same thing at regionals.... Next year same story, 10 year old level 9, yay! right? Wrong,.... So the bottom line is so long as you are working on the skills it's irrelevant what level you compete so long as you are competitive, as nothing and I mean NOTHING replaces the drive spawned by success. This is why I get annoyed with people screaming about people holding kids back at a young age,, its very easy to forget that someones DD also needs success even if it means beating yours. :)
I agree 100% Everything you said is what my heart tells me! I have a meeting tomorrow to further discuss this with her coach and I hope she understands when I tell her L5 is my choice!

She's only 7! I can't imagine her competing a meet at level 4 then one month later competing a meet at level 5, and then one month after that competing level 6! Has anyone had success with a gymnast this young doing this type of thing?

My daughter went from L4 to L7 very quickly...she is now going to be a 10 year old L9. The jump from L4 into optionals at a young age was very aggressive...very mentally demanding. It worked for my daughter though.

The coaching staff should be making the call...not the parents. Let them run their program...trust and support their decisions...even if the whole season is a train wreck. If you do not trust them...well???

My daughter went from a L7 train wreck season to L8 regional champ one season later. In my case the parents were on the same exact page as the coaches.

EDIT: This will most likely be a tough season as a 10 year old L9.

My daughter went from L4 to L7 very quickly...she is now going to be a 10 year old L9. The jump from L4 into optionals at a young age was very aggressive...very mentally demanding. It worked for my daughter though.

The coaching staff should be making the call...not the parents. Let them run their program...trust and support their decisions...even if the whole season is a train wreck. If you do not trust them...well???

My daughter went from a L7 train wreck season to L8 regional champ one season later. In my case the parents were on the same exact page as the coaches.

Should be easier with 16 divisions instead of 8. We didn't have that but do now.

Well I would agree but it sounds like the coaches aren't really making the decision here so if they are asking FlipMom I guess it's reasonable for her to say "we prefer to have a bit of a slower year but definitely are open to accelerating next year." We are talking about a 7 year old who has never competed level 4. I don't have a problem with skipping levels. But this means she has to learn the level 4 routines, go to a meet and score out, learn the differences for the level 5 routines (okay not much but it's not exactly the same), score out, and then prepare and practice an optional routine all within a few months. I think that's a bit much personally. If the coach was on here asking my opinion I'd be even more blunt.

Going from 4-7 means you just have to do a level 5 score out at the end of your level 4 season or fall. And you'll know the level 4 routine really well so the differences won't be too hard. That is pretty different than learning three routines in a few months.

And actually I've seen 7 year olds doing insane things (that little girl from Salcianu?) but if it's to the point that you're a 7 year old doing BHS layouts on high beam maybe you're better served not focusing on your JO level. That's one kid out of the whole country though and I'm not sure we're to that point or that the gym has her in a special training program even if she could learn that. So given that the gym seems to be your average JO program I would say staying compulsory one more year is their best bet. Worst comes to worst she is TOO successful and they readjust next year...I think being too successful is better than fears or injuries developing because of the stress of learning three routines rapidly.

Also, if they've never had a kid go from 3-6/7 I wonder if they're completely prepared. Sure, let's say the kid can do a tap swing flyaway. But she can't do that in level 6. She has to do a flyaway out of a handstand or suffer big deductions. I don't know about anyone else her but personally the idea of rushing a handstand flyaway gives me hives, I don't care if I'm working with the next Olympic superstar...a couple bad experiences there and the kid have issues for years. Just not worth it. Take a year to learn it and again the worst thing that happens is the kid is too successful and saying "look at me coach, I stuck it perfectly again, 10 times in a row!" I know people always fear boredom but my experience is that's more an issue at the lowest levels like preteam and level 3, by level 4/5 there's so many extensions you can teach such as different in bar skills, more advanced leaps, start doing drills for aerials and back tucks and beam acro, etc the kids rarely get bored and love to show you how they can stick five of something cold and then move on to something fun.

If the kid in question was 9 or 10, then maybe going to 6 this year would be different. But 7? Just move up later...why rush to do 6 this year then 7 next year when she can just do 4 this year then 7 next year?

I've also seen girls do lvl3 in the fall, one meet of lvl 4 in spring, TOPs testing in summer, TOPs camps and one meet lvl5 in fall and then lvl7 in Spring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back