Parents 9 hours for training level 3??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My girl has been doing 9 hours since L3 (age 6/7), at L2 she was 5.5 hours

At L6 she is still 9 hours, with more hours as schedule allows. She will be 11 in a few weeks.

From my side 9 hours at 7 was easier then now. As she has more activities and homework now.

Hi All,

My daughter got moved up from preteam level 2, to training level 3. We moved to region 1. The new hours are 6. Which I think is perfect. In just 2 months when they start learning level 3 routine, it moves to 9 hours a week. Personally, I think this is too much. She will just be turning 7 this March. Of course, I will not express my opinion to her because I don't want to undermine the process or opportunity. I do think this introduces burnout and injuries. These girls train hard btw!! Lots of conditioning. After her 2 hour workout, she is worn out. There is no waiting around with this coach. It's a tight ship! With too much homework already in 1st grade, I'm just a concerned mom. It actually saddens me a little the workload on kids these days.....

We are in a VERY competitive area so I think these new up'd hours are to compete with some gyms that are big recruiting gyms. But I feel this is a 10 year journey possibly and there is a lot that can happen. Too many hours too young equals quitting....Thoughts? What are your hours at this level? Thank you

We are not in a very competitive area, but DD is training and competing level 3 this year, and she trains 10.5 hours a week (3.5 hours 3days a week), so even higher than what your kid is doing. I wish it was less, but this appears to be standard for the JO track! I kept my DD in rec as long as I could because I didn't want to have to deal with such a young kid doing so many hours in the gym, so now she's a 9 YO (3rd grade) level 3, and comes home exhausted from practice. This is the first year that getting her to do homework has been a struggle for us. The daily routine homework of reading and math facts practice is workable, but it's killer when she has a long-term project due at school. I would like her to move to Xcel where they only train 2.5 hrs twice a week, but right now she wants to do J.O. even with the difficulty balancing friends and school with the practices and meets :(

We have a 12hr 16hr and 20hr group for level 3 at our gym. DD is in the 12hr group she is 7 in first grade. Luckily the homework requirements for her school are not overly taxing 20 min or less each night.

From my side 9 hours at 7 was easier then now. As she has more activities and homework now.

So true. Fifth grade is killing *me.* I have no idea how we will survive middle school next year.

My daughter handled 7.5 hours (3 days x 2.5 hours) on preteam at age 7 with no issues whatsoever. At age 8 she was doing L3 on 9 hours (3 days x 3 hours). There was a bit of a transition period for many of the girls when they moved up to L3, but it seemed to result more from the increase in intensity than from the increase in hours (the others went from 6 hours to 9 hours; mine was switching gyms so her preteam hours had been higher). Now at age 9 (soon to be 10) she is repeating L3 with significant uptraining on 12 hours (4 days x 3 hours). This is the first year when we've really had issues of schedule overload, more from an increase in homework than from the increase in training hours. This is also the first year when she hasn't constantly been begging for more time in the gym, but she still asks to go to every open gym and I'm sure she'd happily take a fifth day if it were offered.

When my daughter was a level 3, she practiced 12 hours a week. 3 days a week/4 hours a day. She handled the transition very well. :)

I don't know if it's a real possibility, but can you talk with the coach about doing fewer hours? In talking with a couple of moms of higher level kids (boys) here about my concerns with DS's training hours (assuming he moves up next year, which is no way a given), it's been mentioned to me that when they felt their kid was getting too many hours too soon, they did that. Basically, they tried it out, with the metric being his progress. He continued to progress just fine, and of course eventually added in the hours. Oh, and kid in question is currently on the Junior National Team, so it didn't hurt him! I know that keeping kids in the sport is a bigger issue on the men's side, so I don't know if this would be an option for women's - or if you'd even be interested - but just thought I'd toss it out there.

At our gym L3 does 9 hours. Prior to this year, they did 12. The only concern I've heard from parents is that one of the practices goes until 9pm on a weekday, which is pretty late for the 6-7 year olds on the small L3 team. I heard some disappointment from the new L3 parents that the hours went down to 9 from 12.

My girl was 7, L3 and practiced 10 hours a week. It seems very typical. They need these hours, not only for adequate time on each event, but for conditioning and stretching. Skills get harder, more is required of the body to perform safely, thus the higher hours.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back