WAG A? for optional and xcel parents...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So how much of that includes "many sessions".

Sorry not picking but when folks say a number, its important to know what comes with.

So what does the 350 include?

Again, we get 90 mins and 30 min follow up in initial cost. That got my daughter a routine that scored around a 9..1-9.3. It took additional work (read as privates) to get her to 9.6-9.8
I think the last time DD went down there for two hours initially, then followed it up with a number of 30-60 minute sessions before practices. Maybe 4-5 sessions in total, but I didn't really pay attention. If you're not scoring well, they'll tweak that in practice. The content of the routines are pretty fluid - from the time she got the routine until meet season, it changed quite a bit, but none of that required private lessons.

We had a coach choreograph the routine (same for everyone) for free and work with them on it 3x as a group before moving and leaving me to deal with it. The girls should probably charge me for my incompetence when it comes to dance/musicality :p

...how much is the choreographing for your daughter's floor routine?

$200 for the routine. That includes music, an initial hour with the coach to get routine and any adjustments made during the 2 seasons that they have the routine.

So how much of that includes "many sessions".

Sorry not picking but when folks say a number, its important to know what comes with.

So what does the 350 include?

Again, we get 90 mins and 30 min follow up in initial cost. That got my daughter a routine that scored around a 9..1-9.3. It took additional work (read as privates) to get her to 9.6-9.8

Then I guess I should add to my answer so that everyone knows exactly how it works for our gym.....

The girls who have been optionals longer or who have a strong dance background (we have several optionals who also are competitive dancers) are allowed to work WITH the coach and have input on their routines. The younger girls typically have no say. They are taught their choreography after the coach determines what it is. This done in a private setting and if it takes more than two one-hour sessions, we parents must purchase gym time to make that happen. If a gymnast is struggling with one little part, it isn't unusual for HC to ask the girl to stay after 15-20 minutes for some one-on-one work at no charge.

Beam choreography is completed in practice but the gymnast has more say. If there is a particular mount they want, and they can show that they can do it, the coach will let them have it. My DD is always messing around with her press mount and gets to change it up if she finds something she likes better. But all beam work is completed in practice.

Usually routines are kept for two years. The gymnast can choose the coach they would prefer to do their choreography. This is all for JO as we don't compete Xcel.

We pay one fee for a floor choreography session and either pay half price for a recycled routine or full price for a new one (for which music is purchased separately). Last year, previously used routines were $125 and new routines were $250. The gym's routines are choreographed by an independent choreographer.

When girls in DD's gym do privates for floor, it's generally tumbling/leap work, never floor choreography. Any choreography tweaks are done in weekly dance throughs before the meet season starts and since it's part of practice, there's no additional fee. I'd be dumbfounded and probably rather ticked if my DD were given a floor routine that required additional training in private lessons to adjust the routine's choreography sufficiently to raise her score by a half point. The floor coach did change one of her leap passes last year to improve her score, but that was simply a matter of telling her "do this leap instead of that one" during practice. Our girls' scores do tend to go up somewhat during the season, but this mostly correlates with upgraded or improved tumbling.

The beam coach choreographs beam routines, drawing from the floor routine, and we pay no additional fees for it. New beam routines are taught during practice, so it also does not require a private lesson. Beam and floor routines are kept for two years.

I'll be interested to see how all of this works on the boys' side if DS moves up to L8 next fall. I believe that the coach basically just tells them what their passes are and the order in which they are to do them, but it's a collaborative process, as the boys are working toward particular passes and corner moves right now. From what I have seen, the lack of music and dance elements means that the boys' routines are more fluid; the coach is more willing to change the order of passes and corner moves if he thinks something else will work better. I don't think DS will have a separate session to learn his floor routine; I think the coach just has them work on the individual passes and then one magic day in the fall tells them how he's constructing the routine.

$250 for a Rusisian choreographer who worked with National and
Olympic gymnasts back in the day (Shannon Miller). 2 2hour sessions includes music unless you choose it yourself off a website. Once a week dance privates for $35 are generally the norm but not required.

$250 for a Rusisian choreographer who worked with National and
Olympic gymnasts back in the day (Shannon Miller). 2 2hour sessions includes music unless you choose it yourself off a website. Once a week dance privates for $35 are generally the norm but not required.

I think our gym uses the same choreographer...but the girls pay $350 for new routines....

The last one DD had done was $450 for floor (completely new routine with music) and necessary changes on beam. .. this includes several hours to learn routine (sometimes 4-5 in one day, sometimes additional 2-3 on another day) plus all necessary tweaking for 2 years. Music extra.

For level 6/7 its $250 for beam and floor, plus split the cost of the choreographers travel expenses (no idea why they couldn't use someone local... but whatever) and then the cost of music on top of that. I'm not sure yet what it includes, as far as how long the sessions are. At our old gym we paid $50 for a hand me down routine. Level 8+ I think costs go way up, they use a more well known (expensive) choreographer.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but this seems madness to us. Over here the routines tend to be made by the coach at all levels ( with the exception of national squad members), and to my eyes they don't look any better or worse than American ones I have seen posted. Cost Zip, Nada, nothing. They are learned it gym time, privates are pretty much unheard of over here. Routines are handed down.

Generally the older gymnasts are allowed to make up there own routines, which the coach then tweaks to make sure they meet all requirements. However I have made up with Pink all her routines since the age of 7 (except her current one which she hates).

For Xcel the coaches choreo the routines and pull music from a stack of music the owners have from previous years. All is free. Once a girl gets to optionals she is usually paired up with a higher lvl gymnast who will teach her routine to the new girl. The older girls get new music and the new girl may take her old music or be given new to fit them. I'm unsure of any costs to the parents for any of the optional work. I know we have a dance teacher come in for a short time, once a week. Then that's it. The actually choreography remains the same for the older optional girls, they just put i t to new music and tween it where need be to fit.

Ok, I have never heard of hand me down routines. That is crazy!

Many of the level 7s here get hand-me-down routines--routines that scored well in previous years and the new gymnast likes. cheaper than buying new music and getting a new routine choreographed. My DD passed down all three of her routines she had in club (and got paid $50 each time to teach it to the younger gymnast too). The higher optionals have new routines usually.

I can't believe this!

I've been charging $80 a routine, for music and a one hour private lesson to learn the routine. Judging here, I need to raise my price just a bit!

Old gym - music on your own/your cost (coach has to approve song)
floor choreo 250-350 includes a single 2 hours session. Additional sessions at 60-80$ an hour
Beam was 80-160 depending on how long (1-2 hours) it took to learn it
Our new gym says 500$ for floor, but I have no idea what that includes. We may keep our old floor and just update/upgrade it (the new gym has never seen her floor, so IDK) I have no idea what that will cost.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back