Off Topic Activities for High Energy Kid

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For parents of extremely high energy kiddos, what do you do activity wise outside of the gym? Our daughter is constantly bouncing off of the walls despite very active 6-8 hours outside EVERY day (swimming, hiking, biking, chores, etc.). Any/all ideas appreciated!

Last edited:
Swim team was best for my ADHD kid. It’s a lot more exercise than swimming recreationally. ADHD medication made a big difference too. My kid is much happier now that he can settle down if he wants to.

Ditto on swim team. My daughter did five years of it, and there are quite a few girls on team that also swim during the summer. It's a big time commitment doing both, but in our house the fallout from an under-exercised daughter was worse, lol.

Also, dance! My daughter did three years of dance, and ballet in particular has ended up helping her a lot on floor. Just one year of ballet changed her movement patterns for the better, and it shows!

Also, dance! My daughter did three years of dance, and ballet in particular has ended up helping her a lot on floor. Just one year of ballet changed her movement patterns for the better, and it shows!
I agree ballet is very helpful for floor. My daughter did ballet for many years and always gets high praise for her artistry. She eventually gave it up because of time constraints, but she said that she found it rather boring. In the beginner/intermediate classes, much of the time you are standing in place and moving one leg at a time in the same sequence of movements over and over again. So I'm not sure how much that would help burn the energy of a bouncy kid!

You could try rock climbing, or take your daughter for a run - that burns a ton of energy and builds up endurance.

I agree ballet is very helpful for floor. My daughter did ballet for many years and always gets high praise for her artistry. She eventually gave it up because of time constraints, but she said that she found it rather boring. In the beginner/intermediate classes, much of the time you are standing in place and moving one leg at a time in the same sequence of movements over and over again. So I'm not sure how much that would help burn the energy of a bouncy kid!

You could try rock climbing, or take your daughter for a run - that burns a ton of energy and builds up endurance.
Oh, rock climbing! Fabulous idea! Thank you!

ADHD kid here! Rock climbing is a great idea, I really love it! I also recommend jumping on a trampoline, dance, spartan races, lifting weights, and ninja! All super fun and can make me tired which is hard to do! I also love the uptown abs work out on YouTube and cotton eye Joe dance. It is very high energy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back