WAG Advice for an older gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LivGym23

Gymnast
Ok so this gymnast is 16, never competed before, taking rec classes about a year and is at about a level 4 in skills. What can she do diet-wise, conditioning-wise, mentally-wise to get her to level 6 soon before next season so she has a shot at competing?
Thank you this will mean so much to her!!!

Why would she need to be Level 6 to compete?
They have meets for level 3 and level 4 and level 5 too.
We regularly face a team that has a 16 year old Level 3. Another team has a 15 year old Level 4 and yet another with a 15 year old Level 5.
Plus, Xcel Gold has a lot of 16-18 year olds.
But to answer your question... if she is at about L4 skills (having the kip, beam cartwheel and floor tumbling), she would just need to get a clear hip circle on bars and make sure her cast is at least horizontal, a B skill on Beam, and a Salto and a B skill on floor and she would be minimally proficient enough to petition into L6.
To do all of that, she should eat a balanced diet... do basic core conditioning and passive and active flexibility training... and stay out of her head enough to avoid blocks AND understand that she may not be on top of the podium often, if ever.

Is she trying to join a high school team? If so I know that most high school teams here require the gymnast to be at least a level 6. Conditioning and hours in the gym are the only way to get there. Tell her to look for clubs that run a high school program over the summer. That will give her the coaching and hours needed in the gym. Good luck to her!

Is she trying to join a high school team? If so I know that most high school teams here require the gymnast to be at least a level 6. Conditioning and hours in the gym are the only way to get there. Tell her to look for clubs that run a high school program over the summer. That will give her the coaching and hours needed in the gym. Good luck to her!
Thank you! No she is trying to get on the team at a gym, but they don't seem to want her :(

The gym is either open to older gymnasts or it is not. That’s been our experience. There is absolutely nothing wrong with competing L4 at 16. If the gym is not open to it, would the gymnast be willing to try Xcel?
Yes she is, however our gym doesn't have Excel.

Why would she need to be Level 6 to compete?
They have meets for level 3 and level 4 and level 5 too.
We regularly face a team that has a 16 year old Level 3. Another team has a 15 year old Level 4 and yet another with a 15 year old Level 5.
Plus, Xcel Gold has a lot of 16-18 year olds.
But to answer your question... if she is at about L4 skills (having the kip, beam cartwheel and floor tumbling), she would just need to get a clear hip circle on bars and make sure her cast is at least horizontal, a B skill on Beam, and a Salto and a B skill on floor and she would be minimally proficient enough to petition into L6.
To do all of that, she should eat a balanced diet... do basic core conditioning and passive and active flexibility training... and stay out of her head enough to avoid blocks AND understand that she may not be on top of the podium often, if ever.
Our gym doesn't seem to allow it, age seems to be an issue. She wouldn't need it, however that is what the gym seems to be more accepting of :( Thank you for the advice!

Thank you! No she is trying to get on the team at a gym, but they don't seem to want her :(
As sad as that makes me, it’s pretty common for gyms to set unofficial age limits to start team. You should look at other gyms. I would look at your state meet for last year, and look at the oldest age group for L4, 5, and 6. See if any of those gyms are near you. That’s how we found my DDs current gym. She was a older gymnast too. We ran into the age issue every time we moved or she switched programs. Gyms don’t want to “waste” their coaching on girls with “no future”.. but there are places out there- I hope you live near one!

Unfortunately if the gym culture/philosophy is not open to older gymnasts, there isn’t a lot she can do, and I am sorry that is the situation you are in. If she really truly wants to compete and moving to a gym with an Xcel program is an option then that would be the best bet (although I realize not necessarily the most practical). Good luck!

Yes it is, yep I am, Pennsylvania
I’m sitting in a hotel in PA right now! I don’t live here, but I’m from here and my old gymnast is at a college admissions thing right now. If you want to PM me your area of the state I can look at the meets- there is also Ys that compete here and I believe a few IGC teams left too.

YMCAs to consider if they aren't too far away:
Brandywine, Corry, Franklin, Garver Memorial, Greater Susquehanna, Greensburg, Hatboro, Meadville, Northeast Philadelphia, Oil City, Oscar Lasko, Phoenixville, Titusville, Uniontown, Upper Bucks, or Warren County.

Good luck.

YMCAs to consider if they aren't too far away:
Brandywine, Corry, Franklin, Garver Memorial, Greater Susquehanna, Greensburg, Hatboro, Meadville, Northeast Philadelphia, Oil City, Oscar Lasko, Phoenixville, Titusville, Uniontown, Upper Bucks, or Warren County.

Good luck.
Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back