WAG Advice for hip problem in round-offs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kiwi

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Judge
I was having some groin pain when doing round-offs so went to see my physio the other day (she is a dance physio and very good). She believes the pain is from an inflamed hip joint capsule caused by an 'impingement' when my femur rotates inwards as I have very little range in that direction. What I think is happening in my round- off is I step forward with my left leg and then when I kick with my right leg it pulls my pelvis around to the side so that my left femur is turning inwards in the socket. The physio has recommended avoiding round-offs and cartwheels for a while to give the joint time to settle down, and has given me some stretching and strengthening exercises to do for the muscles that stabilise the hip joint. Of course I am following her advice and doing the exercises as recommended.

What I would like to know is whether there is some way I can modify my round-off technique to minimise this problem. I know there are some very experienced and clever coaches here who will understand the biomechanics of round-offs who may be able to advise, particularly anyone who has seen this problem before, or any gymnasts who have had this. (Dunno, please do not tell me to give up gymnastics).

okay, i won't. the usual problem that causes this is that the gymnast only derives their power from only kicking the back leg but not using the front leg.

after both feet step down to the floor from the hurdle, the gymnast must push off both legs into the kick which will then cause a kick from the back leg and a simultaneous push from the front leg.

when you don't push off both legs, the back leg kicks and the front leg goes down and delays causing the hip to open further than it should because the front leg is still going down instead of pushing. but the front leg can't push because their was no push to begin with from both legs when the gymnast steps down from the hurdle.

take 2 frisbees or 2 of anything that will easily slide on the floor. put each one of your feet on them. then put your cartwheel leg in front of the other. then perform a standing round off.

what you will notice first is that your back leg, which is the kick leg, will kick/slide the disk back further than the front leg.

what you must try to do is get both disks to slide back and away the same distance. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back