afraid of handsprings on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

About a year and a half ago I missed both hands doing two connected backhandsprings on beam. Since that I haven't been able to do them on the high beam again. I can do them over and over on the low beam, but as soon as I get up on the high beam I freeze. I need some drills or tricks or anything to help me get pas this fear.
p.s. my coach wont let me stack up mats by the high beam and gradually lower them, that was my first idea.

Thank you

About a year and a half ago I missed both hands doing two connected backhandsprings on beam. Since that I haven't been able to do them on the high beam again. I can do them over and over on the low beam, but as soon as I get up on the high beam I freeze. I need some drills or tricks or anything to help me get pas this fear.
p.s. my coach wont let me stack up mats by the high beam and gradually lower them, that was my first idea.

Thank you

Why won't he let you do that? And are you at a level where you could do handspring /layout step out , so you'd only have to do one BHS? My daughter's been a Level 10 for many years and says that BHS on the beam is the scariest for her ...and she does a ton of other stuff I would think is scary and for just the reason you cite (missing your hands) ...so you're in good company.

Do you have a few low beams and you could work your way up? Seems ridiculous to say high beam or nothing, and not work it out with you...

Crank the high beam all the way down..do one and then crank it up like 5 times and then do another one and then move it up again. Keep going till you get it all the way up!

Do you have any training pads that make the beam wider? Try starting with those on the high beam.

Note- I'm a parent, and my opinion on this might be way off. If the pad changes anything about how you'd perform the skill, then perhaps it's not a good idea. DD is just learning BHS on beam and I've seen her do it with the pads.

I did bhs on beam for 3 or so years before I had to leave the sport and never got over my fear of them. My main problem was that I was so scared of them that when I got to the high beam I would totally change the way I did the skill and just chuck it over- which would not always end up so well (missing hands and crazy crashes). So I think the most important thing is to be comfortable enough with the skill to be able to do it correctly on the high beam, if not totally confidently.
Do you have a medium height beam in between the low and high beam? You could try making a certain amount on the low beam each day (I would say at least 10) until you feel totally confident, getting your hands on each time. Once you feel absolutely confident with that stage, move to a mid-sized beam and repeat the process. If you notice yourself changing anything, head back to the low beam. Once you feel totally confident on the mid-sized beam, head to the high beam. You could try throwing a sting mat over the top if you're allowed, if not you should be confident enough by this point to feel okay going for it on your own. If not, head back to the medium beam for more reps. Don't rush the process, and don't be afraid to go back a step if you find yourself getting so scared you're changing how you do the skill. It's a process, and not always a quick one, so take your time. Rushing through it usually just results in fears at some point down the road.
Even when you do feel comfortable with the skill and do it well most of the time, freak things can happen, you just need to be sure enough of yourself that you can get back up there and correct the problem. Good luck! It's tough to battle through mental blocks like these, especially ones that have some merit to them, but if you had the skill once before- and good enough to do a bhs series- I have full confidence that you'll be able to get it again!

I'm just a mom, but my dd has to stick 10 in a row on the low beam before moving to the high beam. Then she uses a yoga mat on the beam (her coach calls it a beam diaper) and does a bunch and then she does them without.

Back handsprings were the first skill that really brought out the fear in her. Good luck!

Thanks to all the the people who have been commenting I will certainly ask my coach if I can try some of these suggestions. Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back