WAG Age Division Determination

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is it normal to let unborns compete. Lol
(12/31/2018 hasn't been here yet)
Lol, it's just an easy trick by the meet director setting up age groups for the meet to make sure all gymnasts are included(can also set the date to the youngest possible allowable age for competition, but that takes some extra math!) The sheet doesn't show the oldest group's age range, but I would often set the oldest group's upper age range at 1/1/1900, though 100+ year old gymnasts not likely entered!

The age groups for the 4/5 state meet ( that just passed) in Illinois don’t appear to be randomly assigned, it was all by birthdate? Is this for next season?
That was the age groups for that meet. Age groups usually change by the meet to keep the number of gymnasts per group balanced.

Also when they talk about randomly assigned they are talking about what letter the group gets assigned, A, B C and so on. They are still grouped by age/dob. It just means the youngest group doesn't necessarily start Child A

The age groups for the 4/5 state meet ( that just passed) in Illinois don’t appear to be randomly assigned, it was all by birthdate? Is this for next season?

@SMH - Here is the link for the minutes(http://ilusagymnastics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Minutes10-20-17.pdf ), where I found the information. It seemed like it was for this year's state, but maybe they just worded the motion strange and I'm reading it wrong about what is going to be "random". Because as you posted - the A, B, C, etc subgroups are by age/dob.

Reactions: SMH
Maryland Leve 7 age groups. My Daughter is the oldest athlete in her session.

Level 7 – Sunday March 25, 2018

Session 5 900 stretch 1140 awards – Child A, Senior A

Session 6 1215 stretch 255 awards – Child B, Senior B

Session 7 330 stretch 610 awards – Junior A, Junior B

CH A 1/6/07-7/7/09 S1 Dani (1.06.07) REPORT TIME 8:30 AM

CH B 4/11/06-12/18/06 S2

JR A 10/15/05-3/30/06 S3

JR B 3/21/05-10/8/05 S3

SR A 5/11/04-3/17/05 S1

SR B 4/13/01-4/16/04 S2

Is it normal to let unborns compete. Lol
(12/31/2018 hasn't been here yet)
I have always thought the same thing. You would think that the "youngest allowed birthdate for the youngest age group would actually be the birthdate of the youngest possible LEGAL competitor... so for Level 4, they have to be 7.
IF they don't have to compete in any meets during the season, then they could use exactly 7 years before the meet date. If they have to compete in at least one meet (I think most, if not all states have a score requirement for all levels), then the date should be 7 years before the date of the day BEFORE the meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back