MAG Age divisions vs. levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
They didn't play the anthem at the meet my son went to this last weekend. My DH thought that was odd (and he's a Canadian).

At our WAG sanctioned meet this past weekend, they did not do the national anthem, but instead, said the Pledge of Allegiance.

We used to live near a minor league ballpark. We went to so many games when the kids were little that I still feel like the last line of the American national anthem is "Batter up!"

We were at a meet where there was a team from Barbados and they played both US and Barbados anthem. I thought that was pretty cool!

Reactions: sce
At our next meet they are only giving the level 4s a participation medal, all 143 of them. As I recall, they don't call out any places or name, just give their scores and medals to their coaches. All other levels have over 30 athletes er age group.

Our meet today followed actual ages for awards, not their age on Sept. 1, so my DS, who just turned 8 last month was in the 8-9 group. Just thought I would add that since there had been some confusion about this earlier in the thread!

DS still had a pretty large age group but came home with several medals this time and had a great meet all around.

Just had our first meet. They stuck with standard age groups. Meant that our upper level boys swept the meet - cuz they were alone in their age groups (7 and up). For a first meet at new levels/having skipped levels that was mighty fun for the boys...and they are old enough to know that it just means they showed up LOL...however, I guess in our state sticking with gym enough to compete those levels is a triumph in itself! DS the youngest surprised us all by winning a legitimate 2nd AA in Level 6 9-10 age group...go figure, maybe all that dancing about between events allowed him to focus when competing?

Congrats! Glad your DS and team had a great meet! My DS also dances and jumps a lot between events... whatever works! ;)

Thanks - I think they felt really good - and with all the changes, loss of coaches, loss of gym, etc it was great to see the boys get out there (albeit at a small meet) and show they really pulled through it all!

Congrats! Glad your DS and team had a great meet! My DS also dances and jumps a lot between events... whatever works! ;)
I thought it would stop as he got older...only difference is at 6 and 7 it was sometimes the potty dance and he sometimes almost missed vault because of his dance moves...now its just waiting his turn, really on floor only - still - his teen/tween sibs tease him mercilessly about it...

Love it! Way to go to your ds! D frequently dances, sings, etc at meets. It is so funny to watch them dancing and goofing, then turn it off, salute and go!

makes DD so mad - so many things are "ignored" at men's meets - this weekend boys got to "start over" on routines, chat with judges about how to raise their difficulty, lean on the pommel waiting for their turn, etc. Then they get a first place medal just for being there in their age group (DD words) when she has to look pretty, stand up straight, gets deducted for not smiling at the right angle in her floor routine, and still has 30 girls to compete against at meets! (I call this sour grapes for deciding not to compete L8 this year, but I do think the girls program could learn a bit from the boys approach...)

I thought it would stop as he got older...only difference is at 6 and 7 it was sometimes the potty dance and he sometimes almost missed vault because of his dance moves...now its just waiting his turn, really on floor only - still - his teen/tween sibs tease him mercilessly about it...

At our first meet this year, DS (almost 7) went into the bathroom to change into his uniform right after we got there. When they were introducing the teams, I noticed DS adjusting his pants and fidgeting around. I wondered if maybe I should try to get his attention to see if he could go before the first rotation, but I thought surely he had gone when he was in the bathroom changing, since we had been in the car for 3 hours prior to that. He ended up running off between the 5th and 6th rotations, and it was obvious by that time that he really had to go. Turns out he didn't go earlier. After he relieved himself, he was free to just dance to the music, though I'm afraid he needs to work on his dance moves. I got a picture of him kicking up his heels, looking a bit like Elaine in Seinfeld.

DS the younger does a mean Napolean Dynamite impression with his dance moves - the older 2 are graceful and have rhythm...which is probably part of why they want him to stop dancing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back