MAG Age divisions vs. levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
makes DD so mad - so many things are "ignored" at men's meets - this weekend boys got to "start over" on routines, chat with judges about how to raise their difficulty, lean on the pommel waiting for their turn, etc. Then they get a first place medal just for being there in their age group (DD words) when she has to look pretty, stand up straight, gets deducted for not smiling at the right angle in her floor routine, and still has 30 girls to compete against at meets! (I call this sour grapes for deciding not to compete L8 this year, but I do think the girls program could learn a bit from the boys approach...)

Obviously, I have limited experience after just two meets, but there was none of that at either of our boys' meets. The judges have all been quite serious and kept their distance, even the ones our coach knows well. I like how formal it is -- keeps the boys focused and serious (dancing aside!). These were both pretty big meets, though, so it may be less formal at our upcoming competitions.

Both my daughter and my son can deliver long dissertations on why girls'/boys' meets are harder and more stressful. But so far this season, the groupings for awards have been larger for my L6 guy than for my L8 gal. Yet each has been to a meet where the awards went ALL the way out, or just about -- for my son's meet like that, the L6s competed with part of another level, so they had 3-4 age groups for that level, then about 5 age groups for L6, and then team all the way out for every gym that brought a team. I wanted to die. Several times.

Words you NEVER want to hear at a meet: "And the 15th place 7 year old competitor on vault is . . ."

Just all around here this time which made sense as, for instance, DS at L7 and his friend at L8 didn't need to be called up for all 7 1st places in their age groups! :D And yes, we do do some meets that are larger and more formal. But again, in our tiny state, by the time the boys get to Level 7 or so, all the judges have watched them "grow up" and it can be less formal. Also, at these meets, the other events often stop to watch the Level 9/10 boys compete an event - as there are generally less than 10 of those ( total for both levels combined) in our state at a time... The scoring is still tight as can be. Our boys generally get the same scores (within a few) at these tiny meets (only 60 boys in L5-10) as at the big invitationals they attend, so L6 pommel scores ranged from one or 2 8+s down to a 2. DS youngers 7.6 was darn respectable!! I'm sure that its MUCH different back East where there are many more men's programs and coaches. But for a first meet with no falls and only a couple left out skills for the big guy recovering from 6 weeks off we'll take it!

makes DD so mad - so many things are "ignored" at men's meets - this weekend boys got to "start over" on routines, chat with judges about how to raise their difficulty, lean on the pommel waiting for their turn, etc. Then they get a first place medal just for being there in their age group (DD words) when she has to look pretty, stand up straight, gets deducted for not smiling at the right angle in her floor routine, and still has 30 girls to compete against at meets! (I call this sour grapes for deciding not to compete L8 this year, but I do think the girls program could learn a bit from the boys approach...)
One of our coaches works with the girls and boys team. She is shocked at how different they are. Boys meets are relaxed and fun, the coaches help each other out and the judges are chatty. The girls meets are much more serious, to talking between coaches, judges etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back