Parents Ages on Team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The reason why age is important is is when you look at the end goal for the child. If the child is aiming to go elite they would want to be international standard by the year they are 15 turning 16. So in this case they would need to be a solid level 10 by at least 12 or 13 years old. Based on 1 level per year they would need to be level 3 (old 4) at around age 6.

if the goal is to get a college scholarship, colleges are looking for solid level 10 gymnasts by 10th grade. So in these cases they would need to be level 3 (old 4) by 3rd Grade.

if the goal is to make it to level 10 by the time they finish high school them the aim would be by 5th grade.

if the goal is just to enjoy gymnastics and get as far as they can then age by level does not matter.

Our gym doesn't have a lot of little bitty ones on the team either. My DD just turned 10 and is Level 4/new Level 3, and she's about average for that team. There are a few younger, but there are also a few older. The level 6-10 girls all warm up together, and out of that whole group, only a couple of them look to be younger than 7th or 8th grade. But the owner of our gym doesn't train elite by choice, so if that is the track someone wants for their child, they go somewhere else.

I'm not concerned about her age because I don't expect Olympic greatness from my girl. I want her to enjoy herself and learn but I realize that starting "late" means she may not reach the elite or higher levels, if she chooses to go that route. I'm just curious. What is the real advantage of having kids start on team at a young age? Am I being dense? I just imagine my own daughters at the age of 5 and I'm quite sure neither of them would have learned much at all! ;-)

Starting "late" does not mean she'll not reach elite or higher levels. There are many elites, and even Olympic gymnasts, who've had a late start but they breezed through the levels going through 2 or 3 levels a year. Most elites, or even aspiring elites, I've read about are in L10 between 10 and 12 years old. College bound gymnasts can get to level 10 by maybe 14 or 15. But most scholarships are given to multi year level 10s. And D1 schools look for elites, former elites or top L10s.

I did wonder too when my daughter started what the advantage is of starting young and at one point I felt her coaches were "rushing" her through the levels. One of the reasons I was given is fear. Many coaches try to get their talented gymnasts to higher levels quicker before they develop fears. Kids tend to over think things when they are older. Also, when they are younger they are lighter and apparently can perform/learn skills quicker. You'll be surprised at what 5 year olds can learn and do. Go to youtube and you can watch amazing things 3, 4 and 5 year olds doing amazing gymnastics related skills. Starting kids on team early also provides them with more competition experience. It goes without saying that gymnastics favors the young, light and shorter athletes. And as such, the earlier they start the better.

Starting "late" does not mean she'll not reach elite or higher levels. There are many elites, and even Olympic gymnasts, who've had a late start but they breezed through the levels going through 2 or 3 levels a year. Most elites, or even aspiring elites, I've read about are in L10 between 10 and 12 years old. College bound gymnasts can get to level 10 by maybe 14 or 15. But most scholarships are given to multi year level 10s. And D1 schools look for elites, former elites or top L10s.

I did wonder too when my daughter started what the advantage is of starting young and at one point I felt her coaches were "rushing" her through the levels. One of the reasons I was given is fear. Many coaches try to get their talented gymnasts to higher levels quicker before they develop fears. Kids tend to over think things when they are older. Also, when they are younger they are lighter and apparently can perform/learn skills quicker. You'll be surprised at what 5 year olds can learn and do. Go to youtube and you can watch amazing things 3, 4 and 5 year olds doing amazing gymnastics related skills. Starting kids on team early also provides them with more competition experience. It goes without saying that gymnastics favors the young, light and shorter athletes. And as such, the earlier they start the better.

This ^^^ is all true, but I'll counter with another line of thinking. The CB has had several threads on the dropout rate between levels and how when reaching level 6 so many kids leave the sport. This partly do to burnout, which is caused by starting "serious" gymnastics at a young age. This is not an absolute, but perhaps a trend. And certainly there are girls that quit by level 6 who started late. And there is a lot of repeating levels that goes on all over the country at different gyms, so you will still find a lot of 12 and 13 year old level 6s that are excellent.

I just don't think there is a right or wrong approach to age in this sport. There may be some trends but you will still see plenty of excellent gymnasts who started "late" and plenty that started young and either fizzle out or quit.

The reason why age is important is is when you look at the end goal for the child. If the child is aiming to go elite they would want to be international standard by the year they are 15 turning 16. So in this case they would need to be a solid level 10 by at least 12 or 13 years old. Based on 1 level per year they would need to be level 3 (old 4) at around age 6.

if the goal is to get a college scholarship, colleges are looking for solid level 10 gymnasts by 10th grade. So in these cases they would need to be level 3 (old 4) by 3rd Grade.

if the goal is to make it to level 10 by the time they finish high school them the aim would be by 5th grade.

if the goal is just to enjoy gymnastics and get as far as they can then age by level does not matter.

The stressful thing I am finding with gymnastics is that, unlike other sports, it requires such an early and intense commitment with the distinct if not likely possibility that physically speaking a child will ultimately be unable to reach elite or collegiate level. So, the simple fact that my DD is attending a gym that has neither an elite nor a TOPS program is already limiting her options (and she is six!). I guess if she seems unbelievably talented, appears to have the perfect body type, lives to train, loves the sport, and her coaches see great potential over the next few months then I will feel compelled to move her to an elite gym in order to give her a legitimate shot at her dream. As that is highly unlikely, we will stick with the low-key, go with the flow mentality unless talent in the next year dictates otherwise.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I don't think her age is a problem as long as the gym she's in has a history of moving kids through the levels without camping at one or two levels for a couple of years. So look around and get a sense of what this gym does year in and year out. If you hear about more than the occasional child spending a couple of years at the new L3, who then struggled at new L4, you might want to ask some more questions........ like what do I look for in a gym program, or which gym program is best for my darling daughter.

I think "team" generally implies competing. If you are competing level 4, you are on the level 4 team, as opposed to someone who is maybe just working on level 4 skills. At meets there are team scores and awards (generally the top 3 or 4 scores on each event added up) so it is, to a certain extent, a team sport. Are all gym meets just individual competitions in Canada?

Thanks May and Gymmie mom for replying. This is what I assumed, but wasn't sure.

We don't really have awards for "team" here (Ontario, as the rest of Canada uses a different system) A club at the end of the year will get an award based on how girls did at Provincials, but that's it. So yes, awards are individual only until you compete for the province.

I think "team" generally implies competing. If you are competing level 4, you are on the level 4 team, as opposed to someone who is maybe just working on level 4 skills. At meets there are team scores and awards (generally the top 3 or 4 scores on each event added up) so it is, to a certain extent, a team sport. Are all gym meets just individual competitions in Canada?

UGH I just wrote this huge long post and CB ate it!!! GRRRRR...

Clubs don't compete as teams against each other here. In Ontario each year there is a Tour Selection event. This year the top 8 level 6 age 14+ went to compete for team Ontario at Gymnix. The top 8 level 7, 8, 9, and National Open went to Florida for the Presidential Classic.

Then there is a selection event for the National Stream Cup for Pre Novice and Novice athletes, and then Ontario Championships is the selection event for Easterns and Canadians.

(My other post was better though)

:)

At our gym:
Pre-team (L3) has girls from ages 5-10, the majority are 6-7.
L4 - Ages 6 through 11 (the majority are 7-9)
L5 - Ages 8 through 13 (most around 10-11)
Optionals - 11 and older, mostly teenagers.

We have been to some huge meets this past season, and the largest age groups for L4 was always the 9 year olds, so I think it's not too uncommon to have an "older' team.

And I guess I should answer the original question too.

So the competitive team consists of minis, who are 5 and 6 and these girls only compete our ODP program which is similar to TOPs. Then 7 and 8 year olds can start competing at invitational competitions up to the level of their age. These girls don't really compete against each other, they compete for scores and receive certificates with the scores on them.

8 year olds can also enter the Pre-novice national program.

If they are Provincial material, when they reach age 9 they can enter the qualifying system and compete to try and get to provincial championships. Each level, from 5-9, has age divisions from age 9 to 16+.

Or a gymnast can stay at the invitational level and compete at fun meets for levels 2-6. And again at these competitions, gymnasts are divided by age.

Our "team", or the club I guess, has gymnasts of all ages competing at all levels. Invitational is mostly made up of kids who did rec for a while and showed promise and enthusiasm about competing. Most provincial and national girls started at age 5 or 6 in the ODP program.

Good question...I have been wondering about this too...what is the average age per level?

My daughter is 10 and an (old) Level 7. But she is the youngest 7 in the gym. The next youngest is 12. Our (old) Level 3s range from 5-10. 4s 6-12. 5s 9-12. 6s 10-12. 7s 10-up.

There is no strict upper age limit at our gym, but the averages are -

Preteam/Level 3 - ages 6-9
Level 4 - ages 7-10
Level 5 - ages 8-12
Level 6 - ages 9-12

Right now, our L3's are 5-8
4/5's are 8-10
7/8 are 10-13
9/10 are 10-18
These are not restrictions, they are just actual ages of current team members.

At our gym our level 3's (which they just started competing) are from pre-team and ages 9-11.
Our level fours are (last years level 5's) and they are 11-14
And then it continues.
I dont think at our gym it is common for team kids to be younger than 8. However sometimes it happens.

At our gym on the optional team it ranges from my dd (age 9 training level 9) to age 15 On the compulsory it's like 5-11 and on taaf its like 5-17.

Our gym is similar to gymcritter we have several girls in the optionals program but their ages range, for instance my daughter is training level 7 and she's a young 7 year old, there also are girls 10-12 in the same level. We have a very strong Elite group, and a very big age range for our compulsory group. I just think that age and level very greatly upon each girl and how early or late they started gymnastics, how quickly they can master skills, and their ability to dedicate hours to being in the gym. Most girls cannot spend 20-25 hours a week training because of school and other commitments or they just can't physically handle those hours, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But some are homeschooled and can handle the hours in the gym (this is my daughters situation) every girl will develop at their own pace that is comfortable for them, there is no right or wrong just what that child feels comfortable with. My child is a freak of nature. I wish some of you could see her, anyone who knows her understands that 25 hours a week is nothing for her. She trains 5 hours a day, comes home, changes leotards and does beam routines on my wooden coffee table for another hour.. It usually ends by me yelling "stop, I'm trying to watch the voice and I can't hear over a that pounding"

I understand people think my dd is crazy she goes 30+ hours a week and to a special charter school and she doesn't understand why they can't go on Sundays too ;)

Gymcritter- never ever let anyone tell you what is or isn't good for YOUR child. My experience is this: my daughter was doing 20+ hours a week starting at 5 years old, they eased her into it until her homeschool was set up which took a few weeks. She is fully homeschooled and now trains 25 hours a week. 5 hours a day 5 days a week. She loves it and even has energy to burn when she gets home. On her 2 days off she spends outside on the trampoline or low beam doing basics, on her own. I never tell her to do them, what she does on her time off is her choice (within reason she is only 7) bottom line we are in the same boat where we will get criticism from people but at the end of the day we know our children, we know their limits and we would never push them to do anything they didn't want to do. I bet your daughter will do amazing things, hopefully our paths will cross in the future :)

Thank you! I do understand. It just is frustrating my own mom won't go to her meets or anything because she thinks gymnastics is too extreme. Because of the time involved and stuff but my dd would be doing gymnastics at home if not in the gym so much. Thanks again ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back