Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh FREAKING OUT!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

4inches

Gymnast
Hi, i'm a new member here and I was wondering if anyone had tips for not losing skills (esp. on bars)
I'm going to Europe over the summer for a month, so I won't be training and I lose skills REALLY easily. I won't have access to a gym while im there. I can most likely find a place to really simple things like cartwheels, round offs, leaps but I probably wont be throwing bhs or flips. Anyone got any advice???

First of all, enjoy Europe. You have a tremendous opportunity and you will never ever ever forget your trip, so make sure you are having FUN! Second, stretch and condition wherever you can. Sit ups , push ups, planks, wall sits, leg lifts( while hanging from something sturdy), box jumps and other exercises you do on the floor at gym. Third, you may be able to purchase or take therabands with you for resistance, they are light weight and take up almost no space. Look up exercises for therabands or look for some on the web.

I wouldn't even worry about it as there is nothing you can do about it ...it is what it is...just enjoy Europe while you are there and when you get back, just plan on having to do some catch up on your skills...

You won't understand this until it happens, and maybe not when it does. You just may have done enough of these skills that they're "locked" into your muscle memory. You may resume your training and discover that these skills are just as good, if not better, as they were before you left for Europe. This has the best chance of working if you remain positive about your skills instead of worrying about them. Possibly, your worst hardship will be really sore muscles after your first few days back.

Okay I go away in January for nearly an entire month most years and coming back is tough but not normally skill wise it is more the strength. So this year I was out November and December with injury and January I was away so I had effectively 3 months of no/very limited gymnastics. Strength was hard and I could barely do any of it but skills were all still there just not as good I.e tumbling was a little lower. After 2 weeks everything was back to normal and my body was thanking me for the time off

Wow! I am exactly like you! Whenever I go on break, half of the time I'm thinking about which skills I'm going to lose! For bars, core strength is required, so do things like sit ups, vups, crunches, push ups, etc. I just went on a trip, so now I'm worried too! Hang in there and Good Luck! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back