WAG Aly Raisman criticizes USAG/USOC for handling of Nassar scandal

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That may be, but it wasn't my main point. My main point was that it is entirely possible to both think that a woman has the right to do what she wants with her body, yet personally not like the choice that someone else makes.

I guess I just don't understand this statement.

For one, who is saying this? I haven't read a comment on this thread that indicated what you are saying.

For two, how can someone agree that a woman has the right do what she wants with her body, but then lose respect for her for doing what she wants with her body? Like the entire concept doesn't make sense.

I am in utter shock that anyone would think that posing for a photo would even be remotely connected to be sexually assaulted by ANYONE? So.. our daughters run around in leotards does that mean they have the right to be treated any differently than an athlete that wears a snow suit? HELL NO! ughhh

First, let me say that I have no opinions about Aly's photo shoot myself. I am not raising her up or putting her down.

I am more addressing the fact that when someone (I can't remember who, and I don't feel like researching) in this thread said that they weren't as big of an Aly fan since the photo shoot, it seems to me that everyone automatically assumed the poster was **** shaming and victim shaming.

I am simply saying that one can dislike the choices another makes (in any area of his or her life) yet still believe that person deserves dignity and safety as a human being. And we shouldn't jump to conclusions about how that person feels or thinks about other issues.

I was discussing semantics, and using examples.

I agree 100%. The surface is simply that--the surface.

My point was more that we shouldn't take someone's opinion about one thing and automatically assume that we know how they feel or think about other issues.
I agree with you here. Earlier in the thread I did think it was implied heavily that Aly didn’t make a good role model or representative of the victims because of her choice to pose nude. I don’t think that was a leap of assumption- I thought I was a spelled out opinion. I make mistakes all the time though.. every single day- so maybe I did misread it.

I agree with you here. Earlier in the thread I did think it was implied heavily that Aly didn’t make a good role model or representative of the victims because of her choice to pose nude. I don’t think that was a leap of assumption- I thought I was a spelled out opinion. I make mistakes all the time though.. every single day- so maybe I did misread it.
The joy of the written word... without vocal inflection and body language, statements can be interpreted differently.

And we all interpret based on our own personal experiences. I think that's half the problem with most arguments online. We assume others think or do things based on a few statements (as well as our life experience) and get angry about that, and in turn, the other person is assuming that we think or do things that we don't actually do. Then, we end up in arguments about our (and their) assumptions rather than the discussing the issue at hand.

“I have a hard time with Aly since she did a nude photoshoot for a sports magazine that did not leave much to the imagination. I lost a lot of respect for her when she did that. And the online comments from the perverts about what they were doing with her photos reinforced my opinion that she shouldn't have done that. I, of course, was in the minority with my opinion, but then you have the abuse scandal and the photoshopping on ebay, and I haven't changed my opinion. So it's hard for me to support her as the main advocate or athelete rep, knowing those photos were taken and are being "admired" by teen boys and old men alike.”

The joy of the written word... without vocal inflection and body language, statements can be interpreted differently.

And we all interpret based on our own personal experiences. I think that's half the problem with most arguments online. We assume others think or do things based on a few statements (as well as our life experience) and get angry about that, and in turn, the other person is assuming that we think or do things that we don't actually do. Then, we end up in arguments about our (and their) assumptions rather than the discussing the issue at hand.

Again, I might be misinterpreting this but it seems clear to me that she is taking an opinion of Aly from the hide photos and carrying into her opinion of Aly in other areas. At no point did I think she said Aly deserved the abuse, but she does imply that Aly is inviting inappropriate.. admiration.. was the term used. It’s seems silly to be trying to keep it all separate since ones opinion in one area does tend to color ones opinions in other areas.

Not surprised but so, so heartbreaking. Angering too. I sometimes cringe with some of Gabby's comments/actions but she has always been one of my favorites. I hope she is getting the support she needs and is surrounded by love.

Agreed. I don’t think what she said is appropriate, but I do think maybe she didn’t know how to deal with the entire situation. The whole thing is heart breaking.

As a parent who has a happy 11 year old
level 8 with no elite potential, I am wondering from those with children who have experience with the elite camp program. What changes has USA Gymnastics actually made? Do gymnast still have to live at the ranch to participate? Are parents allowed? Does USA Gymnastics understand how serious this is? It is completely surreal. I wouldnt be surprised if the entire 2012 Olympic Team was affected. I am thankful I am not in a position where my daughter is good enough that I would have to send her down there in order to follow her dreams. How would a parent say no, but how to trust the system to say yes. Something has to change.

What i really cant help wondering is how many have been abused who are still doing usag and are afraid to come forward because of the possible ramifications in their minds. :(

I have nowhere near an elite child, but I know on a Facebook group this week, a parent said her daughter was at Developmental Invite Camp and still no parents. I do hope/think they are redoing some of the other policies but I can’t say for sure.

I got this in an email today (mostly in regard to the outpouring of reports of sexual harassment in Hollywood), but thought it might be of value in regards to what is happening in gymnastics and talking to your children. It's so important that kids know the things- boundaries, that it's okay to say no (even to an authority figure), and to report when things just aren't right. It's not super in-depth, but it provides some additional resources for further reading.
https://childmind.org/blog/talk-children-sexual-harassment/

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back