Parents another CGM!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

onebusymama

Proud Parent
So sitting in viewing area watching my DD gymnastics practice, & another parent sits down next to me and begins a conversation. After awhile I realize she is a CGM. Her DD I think is age 7 (she had a younger DD who she treats very differently-need to add that). Her DD is extremely small & to me looks very tired & weak. The mom told me her DD is on a low fat diet which to her is necessary for a gymnast (remember she is 7!) She has her DD in dance classes as well bc that's what ALL good gymnasts do. She talks as is her DD is training for the Olympics, as it is her destiny. She is very proud for some reason that her DD is so small & references that often. Her other DD is not (I would say she is average to a bit big for her age). But her other DD looks so much healthier & has so much more energy than her older smaller sister. I personally feel that this CGM is trying to produce the "ideal" gymnast but in ALL the wrong ways. Why does this sport make parents so EXTREME? Don't say soccer is the same bx my 14 y.o. has been in soccer since 4 & the soccer parents aren't that CRAZY!

Um... WOW! So sad for that poor little girl. Can you imagine what she goes through? I know my gymmie is hard enough on herself and if she had a CGM, she'd flip out (even more than normal).

Yeah...it's sad. We have one gymmie who's mom is so caught up in the possibility of her daughter being elite. She puts soooo much pressure on her and I can see her daughter starting to crack under the pressure. She's 7...I try often to talk her down, tell her to relax, etc. but I'm not sure it's working. (Okay, I'm sure it's not!). Poor thing.

Stupid is as stupid does. A low fat diet is insanity waiting for a cgm to grab hold and foist it off on some unsuspecting individual....like her own daugther. Really, how does she think the human race made it to the top of the food chain? I hardly think our pre-historic ancesters would ever have thought this a good idea.

Balanced diet..... sure

Balanced diet favoring protein with a realistic minimum % of fat.... fine again.

Fat withdrawl is a phrase I use for people who are fatigued for lack of fat in their diets, and the metabolic/endocrine side effects are logical. If you go "scace fat" you end up with a compensating blood chemistry that scavenges any possible calories in a process that stores fat any time possible, consider it a suvival directive, even if it means lowering the amount of energy available for every day activities.

Sometimes I think society should require an individual to obtain a parenting license before being allowed to conceive..... geez!

Is the movie good? The summary makes if look interesting.

It is excellent - interesting and eye opening. It should serve as a warning to all parents about the negative outcomes of pushing our kids too much. That being said, Todd's example is the extreme.

iwannacoach;230568 [B said:
Sometimes I think society should require an individual to obtain a parenting license before being allowed to conceive..... geez!

But you need to be vetted before you can "adopt" a cat from a shelter (who might end up being euthanized if no home is found!) .....

It drives me crazy when parents like this act this way. My daughter is 7, trains 25 hours a week, is training level 7. I have never once pushed her to do any of it. When her coaches suggested moving her up or increasing her hours I always asked her if she was ok with it, when she said she was it was always followed up by telling her that at any time she felt it was to much that all she needed to do was let me know and we would immediately cut back. I have to add in that she is homeschooled so people don't think that the poor thing is burning the candle at both ends :) she has brought up the topic of gymnastics diet to me in the past, I think from a show she watches on TV but I told her absolutely not, she is 7 years old and with as many hours as she's working out she's probably burning more calories than she's consuming. I pack her a snack bag every day for gym and of course she has healthy things in it but I do add in cookies and rice crispy treats, etc... She's a kid and I'm sorry but it won't hurt her. She knows the dedication it's going to take to make it all the way but she also knows how many other girls are out there with the same dream. Remember only 5 make it every 4 years. If your starving your child or forcing them to go when they don't want to be there, you may want to stop reading now but your daughter will not be one of the five because I can guarantee she will either quit, become injured or her skills will level off. Someone wise once told me that there are no guarantees in gymnastics, you can have the most talented, naturally gifted, body type built for the sport daughter and she can one day have a career ending injury or just up and decide that she no longer wants to do this sport anymore. I say let them be who they are, enjoy them, praise them for their talent, be there for that shoulder to cry on and maybe, just maybe one day we will all be sitting reading a post from one of our CB buddies saying "my daughter/son has made the Olympic team"

But you need to be vetted before you can "adopt" a cat from a shelter (who might end up being euthanized if no home is found!) .....

When my husband and I got married, we wanted to adopt a dog from a shelter. We had a three page questionnaire to fill out, We were denied on the basis that they felt I would not be treating the dog like a family member because I would not allow the dog to sleep in my bed with me.

My question is why would the coaches and gym owners be accepting of this? They have to notice how crazy the woman is, they have to notice how tired and weak the girl is, etc. When I coached, and mind you it was only rec, but I talked to my girls, got to now them and their parents, if I had a cgm on my hands I would have known it.

Sorry to hijack, but I'm wondering if coaches/owners saw thing going on what they would do.

The coaches might not know--many don't speak to parents much, so they wouldn't have any clue what the mom is like. And they might figure the girl is just weak--not that it's due to diet. If the girl is quiet and doesn't speak up in class much, she probably wouldn't be talking about her restricted diet.

Not to say that there haven't been coaches that pushed restricted diets, but I would hope all coaches know better than that now.

I don't think the coaches are aware of any "diet". Are coaches have little communication with the parents. However the mom seems to speak her mind, & has a strong personality so I'm sure the front desk/ coaches know this mom is crazy. I'm sure they try to avoid her (I will from now on). But the coaches don't ask the kids about eating habits. I have not seen what she eats bc I'm not around her at breakfast, lunch or dinner. I just was told by the mom.& knowing that the mom is crazy she could be lying. She just loves to push her superior attitude on other inexperienced gym moms. Not that I think she knows what she is talking about, but she wants us to think she knows what she is talking about.

Not only do you feel bad for her kid, but then also for the mom who she corners next time, who is new and clueless and doesn't realize that this woman is insane and starts thinking she's supposed to have her daughter on a low-fat diet and she just somehow didn't get the memo. Moms like this need to wear a scarlet CGM on their chest. Maybe we can convince them that it stands for "Cute Gym Mom" and that ALL of the moms of Olympians are wearing them...

Now, Mary A, that made me laugh!!!! Sad thing tbat CGM doesnt know there are so many posts on chalkbucket on her behalf...

Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back