Another Dilemma...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

sophgymnast

Awhile ago I posted a thread about my feelings on gymnastics at that time...I was thinking about quitting and didn't know how to tell my parents. I just don't feel the same about gym anymore. And plus, I have multiple injuries, meaning I can only do beam, bars and a little bit of vault. Floor was my favorite event. But anyways, I still mostly have those same feelings. But I don't really want to quit...I know I am making hardly any sense, but it' s hard to understand. I honestly don't like the gym club I'm going to. I don't get along that well with everyone in my training group. It's not that they are mean to me, and I am mean to them, we're nice to each other, it's just we don't "click". I've been at this club just a little bit over a year. I am a pretty shy person so I take a lot to get to know people. Anyways, I've been thinking a lot lately and I kind of want to go back to my old club that I was at before I moved to this one. I don't really even know why I left there in the first place..I think it was more of my parents decision than mine. I just went along with it. I personally think I got better coaching there, and I got along with the girls. But there's totally different girls there now. I know some of them. I recently saw and talked to my old coach from that club at the grocery store. She misses me a lot and I think she was dropping some hints for me to come back, even though she didn't say to come back ("There's been a lot of improvements, and there's a lot of girls now!"). Problem? I don't know how to bring up going back to that gym to my parents. And I'm the type of person who cares what people think - Bad, I know, but that's just me. So I don't want the people at the club I'm at right now to judge me and talk bad about me. One of my best friends who is in the other group is at the club I'm at right now, and I know she'd probably be hurt if I went back, and maybe she wouldn't even talk to me again. (I'm a worry wart too :eek:)
I want to do this to see if I can get my love for gymnastics back. I know it's in there somewhere inside of me. I need to see if it's the actual sport that I am starting to dislike, or if it's the gymnastics club. And if it's the actual sport, then I might just try something new like cheerleading.. So sorry for this being so long, I never intended it to be. Thanks in advance.

I think you should show your parents this post. I think it is wonderful that you want try to understand your feelings and make the best decision with minimal regrets. That is a very mature desire. I cannot offer advice, as I am not sure why your parents made the choice to leave the gym, but you seem articulate- just a bit conflicted. Communicate openly with your family, and I wish only the best to come your way. Good luck!

I think it would be good too, to let your parents read this post. You have explained your feelings the right way and I think they might understand better this way, because it is right there and when you speak to them it might come over different. I think it is hard when you start thinking I don't like the sport anymore, and you don't have a click with the other girls. And that makes you doubt the sport even more, eventhough it might not be the sport or your injuries. It is your sport, and you have to enjoy it.

I hope you can find a solution.

The last thing your parents want is for you to go along unhappy and never tell them about it. That's not to say that you'll just up and move back to the other gym after the conversation (there may be other reasons for the switch that go beyond preference), but your parents need to know how you're feeling and what you want in order to help you with what's best.

Make some notes for yourself and talk to your parents. If that's not comfortable, write them a letter and give it to them (as long as they don't think it means you're running away!). This is a great place to sort out what you're thinking and what you want to say, but when you're ready, I think it would be more meaningful to take the time to say it to them rather than pointing to a forum posting.

Yes, as a parent, it would break my heart if my daughter ever came to me as a teen or an adult and told me that she had only been doing gymnastics, or staying at a particular gym, or whatever, just to make me happy. She has to go to school and she has to do her best work there... that's non-negotiable. Gymnastics is HER thing and she spends WAY too many hours there to not be happy there. She and the entire family are making too many sacrifices for her to do gymnastics for it not to be making her happy. Please tell your parents what you just told us!

I think you should show your parents this post. I think it is wonderful that you want try to understand your feelings and make the best decision with minimal regrets. That is a very mature desire. I cannot offer advice, as I am not sure why your parents made the choice to leave the gym, but you seem articulate- just a bit conflicted. Communicate openly with your family, and I wish only the best to come your way. Good luck!
I'm not really sure about showing them this post, I just don't want it to be awkward. And my parents didn't necessarily make the decision to switch for me, I some what wanted to move for a change at the time as well. Yes, you have that right about me being conflicted. Thanks :)

I think it would be good too, to let your parents read this post. You have explained your feelings the right way and I think they might understand better this way, because it is right there and when you speak to them it might come over different. I think it is hard when you start thinking I don't like the sport anymore, and you don't have a click with the other girls. And that makes you doubt the sport even more, eventhough it might not be the sport or your injuries. It is your sport, and you have to enjoy it.

I hope you can find a solution.
I think I may eventually just tell them face to face. I just don't know how to bring that subject up. Thanks!

The last thing your parents want is for you to go along unhappy and never tell them about it. That's not to say that you'll just up and move back to the other gym after the conversation (there may be other reasons for the switch that go beyond preference), but your parents need to know how you're feeling and what you want in order to help you with what's best.

Make some notes for yourself and talk to your parents. If that's not comfortable, write them a letter and give it to them (as long as they don't think it means you're running away!). This is a great place to sort out what you're thinking and what you want to say, but when you're ready, I think it would be more meaningful to take the time to say it to them rather than pointing to a forum posting.
Yes I agree with saying it to them. I will eventually spit it out, I just don't know how. I don't like things to be awkward and uncomfortable. Thank-You!

Yes, as a parent, it would break my heart if my daughter ever came to me as a teen or an adult and told me that she had only been doing gymnastics, or staying at a particular gym, or whatever, just to make me happy. She has to go to school and she has to do her best work there... that's non-negotiable. Gymnastics is HER thing and she spends WAY too many hours there to not be happy there. She and the entire family are making too many sacrifices for her to do gymnastics for it not to be making her happy. Please tell your parents what you just told us!
Thanks, I will try my best to spit it all out!
And it's not like my parents don't have a clue that I am losing some interest. They have asked me many times - "Are you still interested in gymnastics? You don't seem to be that into it as you used to". A long time ago, (like maybe September,October of 2011) my mom asked me if I wanted to switch back to my old gym. At the time, I never really thought about switching back and I wasn't really fond of the idea. So I said no. But ever since then, I've been thinking: "Do I really want to switch back?" And when I saw my old coach in the grocery store, that just put the icing on the cake that maybe I DO really want to go back. And maybe that was a sign...who knows.

Hi everyone, I just thought I'd give you an update:
I am now back at my old gym club and I love it! Best decision ever. My parents are actually the ones who brought the subject of me going back, making it much easier for me. I've only trained there twice so far, but I just know that I feel right at home again. :) Thanks for your support everyone!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back