Any advice please? (:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys, I'm on my highschool gymnastics team for what will be my second year starting next week... I have a problem getting my Back Handspring, I had them last season and I went to do one with spot last season with my coach and she dropped me on my head and I messed up my back really bad, and it still isn't as good as my back was before. But ever since then I won't do my handspring by myself, its like I have mental blockage doing it.. I will do it alone into a pit, but I wont do it on floor not even with a mat on floor...does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? Anything will help. :) Thanks.

Repetition, repetition, repetition - with however much of a spot you need. Don't force yourself to do them on your own until you feel comfortable with the move itself.

I realise though, that might be an issue in High School, because coaches might not know enough to teach skills properly. In which case I'd say, video yourself and look for corrections online but also just to get your confidence up that you can do it.

Flipper's Fan: Yeah, I'm swtiching gyms next week, because the one I'm at now has dropped me and I'm not getting many new skills.

Grizzoline: Thank you! That definatly has helped me, with some confindence and helps me to know eventually I will get it.

My suggestion is private lessons too. That one on one can really do wonder. Also you do have a mental block. My DD had a similar thing happen doing a roundoff back handspring back layout. The coach was supposed to spot her and got distracted and my dd landed on her head. Took her a good year to trust that someone would spot her on that move. It set her back that the layout became a back tuck no after a good year she is finally able to do the layout the way it is supposed to be done. Just keep telling yourself you can do this and try to believe it. When YOU belive you can you Will.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back