Off Topic Any good child development/psychology books out there?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

VA Gym Coach

Hello all,

Any one (coaches or parents in particular) have any good recommendations on child development/psychology books? Any inspirational books about teaching children too? I am thinking if I educate myself more on child development, I can use some of that knowledge in coaching.

I am also interested in reading "teach like your hair is on fire". Wanted to ask if anyone has read that book...wondering how much you got out of it being that the book is written from a school teacher's point of view.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations :)

Hello, there are a few books that might be of interest to you.

Raising your spirited child - Mary Sheedy Kurchinka

This book raised my patience level to exponential heights. What would've slightly irritated me before reading this book actually makes me laugh.

Positive Discipline - Dr. Jane Nelsen

A great book - especially for coaches!

The gym I work at stresses positivity over negativity (i.e., when correcting an intro class for something such as pointing their toes, instead of saying "You're not pointing your toes" you pick a kid who IS pointing their toes and say very loudly/obviously so all the other kids can hear "Wow Susie, I like your pointed toes!")

Every kid in that class will point their toes for the rest of the day.

But yeah. Those two books are required to coach at our gym - hope this helps.

NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children
Po Bronson

Especially interesting in terms of how/when to offer praise to a child, the importance of sleep and how not getting enough affects children, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back