Parents Any other parent ever have to..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tooootsie

Proud Parent
Talk with a coach because there is another child who is out of control during class?
Last night was the first night I watched my DD practice with her new group on Weds (different coaches on Monday and Weds) And there was a kid who was climbing all over the coach, licked the coach, would raspberry her face. The kids were using the vault and this kid demanded all the coaches attention and would take 3X's a long as all the other kids.. because this kid was playing around. I understand that these are kids. However this is supposed to be an advanced class. My kid is 4 and this kid looked to be 6 (so you would think some maturity would come along with this). I know my kid is no angel and can be a stinker, but this kid makes her look like an angel.
Because this behavior went on through the whole practice I spoke with the coach because i didn't want to go over her head (she looks like a teen) and I mentioned that the kids seemed distracted and if she could try to keep them under control. Then she had the audacity to call my DD out (likely cause she is the youngest) and said she was distracted by her friend) another Mom jumped in and called the other child out (I didn't want to do that). The Coaches excuse "Well that is just how she is, and I try to stop her, but she is just soo cute and makes these faces" (WHAT?!?!? Seriously?!?!) Well I asked her to try, because she is taking time away from the other children which isn't fair. I hope next week we see a change. But I hate that I had to even be "That Mom" But I felt it was necessary to bring it up then because I thought it might become a problem if I didn't.

I have a teen DD who coaches and is a gymnast somtimes kids are hard to control. I am sure this teen coach is trying her best and well aware of the discipline issue in her class. Her casual attidue may be a cover for feeling like she was called out on something she is trying hard to manage already. Some kids lack respect for anyone ecspecially a teen coach. It has taken my DD a few months to gain respect and she is coaching level 3-5 team gymnasts.

I would give it a few weeks and not watch everything with such a critical eye. Coaches can only build on the respect and discipline that is taught at home which in some cases is none. They do not have a magic behavior wands for kids in class. also 4-6 yrs olds are silly and goof off that is who they are. Just my humble opinion

We had the problem when DD was in rec. Boy was out of control would cut in front of the other kids. After DD almost got kicked in the face multiple times in a practice (little boy really liked DD and followed her around) I finally talked to the coach. Learned a little but about the boy's background and the coach implemented a few changes to keep other kids safe.

Eventually the kid ended up breaking his arm because he didn't listen to the coach. I have seen him lately and it seems like between gymnastic school and his new stable home environment (and maybe a lesson learned from the broken arm) his is more under control.

My point is talk to the coaches. Yes, this child may just be being naughty but there may be other factors in this child's life. But you also have every right for your child to be safe

Monkeys Mom, I understand how hard it is to control people's kids I worked day care for a long time before having my own. And I told the coach that I understand her position and how it is hard to discipline another persons child. I also suggested sitting the child out and if my child acts out the same for her.

gwenmom, I know there can be outside reasons why a kiddo is acting out. I feel bad if there is a situation at home, or bad home life. I will give it time before I bring it up again. I normally can't even watch Weds practice because I work. So I will have to have the hubby tell me how it is going. The last thing I wanted to do is get the coach in trouble, which is why I approached her and didn't go straight to the front desk.

Keeping my fingers crossed that things get better :)

Talk with a coach because there is another child who is out of control during class?
Last night was the first night I watched my DD practice with her new group on Weds (different coaches on Monday and Weds) And there was a kid who was climbing all over the coach, licked the coach, would raspberry her face. The kids were using the vault and this kid demanded all the coaches attention and would take 3X's a long as all the other kids.. because this kid was playing around. I understand that these are kids. However this is supposed to be an advanced class. My kid is 4 and this kid looked to be 6 (so you would think some maturity would come along with this). I know my kid is no angel and can be a stinker, but this kid makes her look like an angel.
Because this behavior went on through the whole practice I spoke with the coach because i didn't want to go over her head (she looks like a teen) and I mentioned that the kids seemed distracted and if she could try to keep them under control. Then she had the audacity to call my DD out (likely cause she is the youngest) and said she was distracted by her friend) another Mom jumped in and called the other child out (I didn't want to do that). The Coaches excuse "Well that is just how she is, and I try to stop her, but she is just soo cute and makes these faces" (WHAT?!?!? Seriously?!?!) Well I asked her to try, because she is taking time away from the other children which isn't fair. I hope next week we see a change. But I hate that I had to even be "That Mom" But I felt it was necessary to bring it up then because I thought it might become a problem if I didn't.

hazard pay was the first thing that came to mind...:)

I felt really bad for the coach. I mean the kid was everywhere. And no one deserves to be disrespected by being spit in the face, licked and raspberried.

We had a "cute kid" problem at our gym too. She would terrorize my dd, push her around, jump all over the place, wrestle, etc. The coaches never said anything and finally my dd had had it. She talked the coach about it, and then another mom complained and the coach came down on her finally. "Cute kid" finally quit because she didn't like to be told to behave and mom didn't like being told her kid needed to shape up.

I don't know what you can do about it, but it sounds like the coach hasn't figured out how to maintain firm boundaries with the kids. She's probably frustrated and maybe embarrassed that she can't control the kid. I was a camp counselor when I was a teenager and I remember having similar problems, because I was too "nice." It never got to that point though- I think I would draw the line at being licked. Ew. I wonder if your gym does a good job of mentoring new/young coaches, because there are definitely some strategies that the coach could learn to control the situation. But I don't know if it will work coming from you, might be better from a supervisor. I think it's good that you spoke up, because now she knows that she can't just coast and hope that the problem resolves itself- the parents are watching. It might help to talk to another coach at the gym- not to "tattle" on your DD's coach but to just kind of bring up that she might need some help with controlling the difficult kids.. maybe frame it like the problem is the kid, and you feel bad for the coach (and it sounds like you do feel that way anyway). I say this because I am pretty sure this wouldn't be tolerated in my gym, and I get the impression that the coaches get a lot of training and mentoring in this area. We had a much smaller situation in my older DD's class when she was in the 3 yo class- there was a kid who was not listening well and would run off and do things he wasn't supposed to do. My younger DD's coach told me that she was the supervisor for all the preschool coaches and that she was working with older DD's coach on her ability to keep the little ones in line. And she did get a lot better over the session, though I was happy because my daughter LOVED her and was definitely learning. And well, they were only 3. Now that DD is in the 4 yo class the other kids are much better behaved- it's a small group and they all follow their coach like little ducks, it's so cute..

I agree with dani4. She's probably being a little defensive because she's trying to figure out how to work with this 'crazy kid'. It sounds like she's saying 'worry about your kid' and 'she should work on not being distracted by others'.
I can't imagine that the teacher is excited about being licked.

I can not see how anyone could find behaviour like that cute!

it sounds like a common problem with the coach, it is not easy for teenage kid to control out of control behaviour in young kids. I would take the problem to the head coach or gym owner who can help this teen coach to develop som acceptable discipline strategies. And perhaps they will re look at whether this child is actually suitable for the advanced group.

The "cute" kid is at our gym now and isn't as "cute" anymore. Thankfully the coaches see her for who she is and won't put with her. Unfortunately her mom is a complete pain, rude, and unbearable and thinks the coaches are being mean to her angelic daughter....now I'm seeing where the girl gets her behavior and attitude from. Ugh!

Well... we have seen a couple more practices and it seems that the cute kid had a talking to, or the parents? Either way, the acting out has seemed to have stopped. This is making a huge difference in the short amount of time they have. Seems like the kids are learning new skills :) My being direct paid off, I think? ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back