Parents Anyone competing this weekend?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well we are back from our meet too and Emily did okay but not that great.
Another darn fall on Bars on the stride circle this time... Now I swear it is a mental block with competing because she doesn't make one mistake in warm ups or practice all week.
ugh ugh... She is pulling what would score like 9.7 in practice then falling in the meet.
ugh ugh ugh...
Then of course Bars was only our second event so she was upset and pouting the rest of the meet and she had two more events and the beam judge was being brutal and then they messed up with the awards... On the sheet it said she was in the 8B group for the older 8s and then they started announcing the awards and she was in the 8A group so we weren't even prepared and didn't get it on camera and now I can't remember what she placed in vault or bars... ugh...
Oh and then on vault she wanted an extra 8 incher on top of the large flat mat... This makes me nervous because not many girls do this and she is probably the only 8 year old that does it. However, she did great with it and scored well.

So here are our scores...

Vault-9.25 and 6th place however, we were unprepared because she shouldn't have been in this awards group so when bars came along I was still going what the heck about her being in this awards group.
Bars-8.9 and 4th or 5 th place I can't remember and this is with a fall...She would have killed in this routine
Beam-8.95 3rd place great routine but went OT so 0.1 off so it would have been a 9.05
Floor-8.9 3rd place this was a WTF because she hasn't scored less than a 9 this whole season and this routine was great.

All Around-pulled off a 36.0 and 4th place in the AA

However, Emily was bawling her head off all through awards and after because of her floor score and upset with beam because it was probably her best routine to date and but she went OT... But really, she didn't even wobble should have been higher IMO.

Gym Monkey Mom - We will also be at the 6:45 late night Rising Stars session!

I will keep my fingers crossed that there are a lot of 35's being handed out. We didnt get a 34 yet this season. I thought she was going to do it this meet but Northern lights was tough this year. 2 age groups 25+ girls in each age group and they went out 10 places. needless to say we didnt bring home any medals this week but for the most part our scores are looking better.

Vault. 8.4 (She has never been good at vault. but we are finally getting a little block! And this is her second highest vault score this year)

Bars - 8.45 ( Woo Hoo! I dont know if this was with or without the cast requirement. I think it is without but they didnt flash the start valut)

Beam - 8.075. (not good.. no falls, made connection but she was Wobble Mc Wobbless.. and was low on her split leap) But she was upset, normally she is mid to high 8's

Floor 8.7 dececnt.

All Around 33.675 Just about the same as we have been doing.. I guess there is something to be said for consistency right? She has been within 1/2 point of this score all year.

Anyway 2 weeks back at the gym to work hard and Rising stars here we come!

Look forward to seeing you there!

Hi all, we went to the USA Invitational this weekend and dd did great in my opinion. She was upset because she didn't like her scores. Now understand that this is only the 3rd meet that she has competed in all season. Remember she had a hurt knee and was out for 3 months and then broke her toe and was out most of Feb. She had 2 practices before the meet and they changed her beam, bar, and floor routines the night before the meet. She didn't place in anything! This is the first time ever that this has happened. She was very upset with herself.

Vault: 8.4
Bars: 8.65
Beam: 8.825 ( with a fall, that in my opinion shouldn't have counted. She fell on her dismount because the mat slipped out from under her when she landed and she fell on her butt. After that fall, the coach sprayed the underside of the mat with water so that it would stick to the other mat.)
Floor: 8.5 (they took out both her back and front tucks because her toe is still broken and she said that landing those hurt) so her starting value was lowered.

AA:34.375

The dr. did ok for her to compete, that is the only reason, that I allowed her to compete.

Trish

Just a little advice, you should always look when you get too a meet and make sure they have your daughters age rite. My daughter had a state qualifier this weekend at a big gym. When she checked in they had her age rite. When we looked at the program they had her as age 11 and she is 8. They went to the office and told the officials, they questioned her coach and my daughter and said they would fix it. When it came to awards we knew she placed on floor but they didnt call her up. When they got too the 11 yr division they called her she took 5th floor, 4th beam in their division. At the end of awards we told them they never fixed the problem, and since it was state qualifier it makes a big difference for her stats. Just keep a eye on this kind of thing!

Well, our meet season is officially over!

My dd didn't do too bad at states this weekend. The floor judge was a bear. Not one of our girls scored a 9 or higher. She was not very generous to a lot of the competitors. You had to have a flawless routine in her eyes, I think! Anyway, my dd's scores were:

Vault ~ 8.75
Beam ~ 8.40 (her best beam score of the season, even with a little slip on her mount)
Bars ~ 7.05 (her lowest score for the season. She missed her front hip circle and her toe hit the bar on the shoot-thru but I don't think she deserved that score. She scored higher in her first meet!)
Floor ~ 7.575
AA score ~ 31.775

She did not place on anything. They had the 6 & 7 year olds grouped together. There were 23 in all. The highest floor score for her age group was 8.75! She was a bit disappointed but was happy with the participation trophy she got.

It was kind of an off weekend for a lot of our girls. I think a lot of them were upset about the floor scores. We'll see what the coaches have to say.

Congrats to all those competing this weekend and good luck to those who still have meets left!

Netty, sorry to hear about the tough scoring at the State meet. It really seems unfair that they grouped the 6 year olds with the 7 year olds. There really is a big difference. Here in Virginia, there is a 6 year old age group and there aren't very many of them so it is probably easier to place. Seems like Pennsylvania could add one additional session that wouldn't take very long to run. Anyway, I guess she is now on to working on new skills for next year. Will she be moving to Level 5?

Meg

Meg ~ They grouped the 6-year olds out last year so I don't know why they didn't do it this year.

They typically don't repeat levels at our gym. I honestly think she'd be bored to death if she had to do that but I think she'd stick with it. They've already started to work on some Level 5 skills so I'm guessing she'll be moving up. We'll see!

awwwwwwww Netty... That sounded like our meet this weekend... Except our floor judge was just throwing the scores out there... The girls that usually scored well scored worse and the ones that have been consistently scoring lower scored higher than the girls who always were scoring high. It was weird and didn't make no sense at all.

Netty, that is great! I'm sure she will be excited to be moving up and learning new thing. Our gym doesn't repeat either so Lily will be moving up, provided she gets her kip of course. I'm sure now that the pressure is off, your dd will have her ro/bhs down pat in no time! :)

Melmonette, sorry to hear about the crazy judging at your meet. We had some weird judging at our last meet too. It seemed like the floor scores went down as the night went on. I was just happy that my dd got floor out of the way before they started to get seriously picky.

Meg

To Netty
I was at that meet working at the score table where they were judging floor. I thought the judges were very fair with their scores. I was completely blown away with some of the young girls from other gyms who had amazing form and clean routines compared to our gym. The girls from our gym did alright their scores were comparable to your daughters scores. I think your daughter did well to even qualify. My daughter did not qualify but after seeing some of these girls skills I think she might have been out of her element. It was very interesting to watch the floor routine and the judges negotiate the scores.

Amber is competing in Arabian Nights this weekend. We are excited beacuse she got her mount back. She lost it after the first meet. We compete sunday and she ia the only one from her team in that age group. She is kind of nervous.

Good luck to Amber this weekend! Good to hear she got her beam mount back.

Lily competes Saturday at 8:00 a.m. at the VIGS Sectional. We will have to drive up the afternoon before and stay in a hotel. I'm not holding out much hope for good scores as Lily is not a morning child at all and we have to be at the meet at 7:40 a.m. UGH!

Meg

We have our home optional meet this weekend. Ah, they joy of moving mats, balance beams etc! Only 2 sessions and the Level 7s compete at 1230. Right now, my gymmie is not in a good place mentally. After a judge critique, they decided to change her floor routine(this is the subject for a whole other post!). So, she had a private last Sat. and this week is trying to retrain her brain and body to do the redone version. She had wanted to really focus on beam, but now instead is trying to get a new floor down. Also having heel pain. Lets say, I'm not expecting a great meet from her this Sat.

1 more meet after this and then states April 5/6.

DD competes this weekend at our first, ever, home meet. I'll let everyone know what happens w/the L6's that are competing as L5's!!!

We have 2 more meets AFTER that before our States in May!

-Lynn

DD competes on Sunday. I am hoping she does ok. She missed all practices last week w/ the flu and is just starting to get her energy back.

good luck to all.

Gymmie and team have their last regular meet on Sunday and drew the early session. Need to be at the gym by 7:45 am. Since this gym is over 2 hours away, we're heading up tomorrow afternoon. Then they get almost 3 weeks to just practice until states(entire team qualified).

Results of our home meet last week:
Floor: The new/redone routine: 8.45. She remembered it all, but stumbled going into her fhs and then sat down on the front tuck. She has her heel taped and said the tape snagged a little on the floor. Coach who redid the routine said without the fall it would have been a 9.2--deduction for fall and the stumble in/out of the fhs.
Beam: I thought it was her best routine. Got dinged again for not connecting the bwo-bwo, but didn't fall on that----fell off on her full turn. Score: 8.175
Vault: 1st competitor of the meet--scored an 8.9. Both coaches on the floor with the team had her at a 9.2.(8th)
Bars: Was in her "zone" Hit the routine the way her coach has been hoping for all season and got a 9.35(tied for 2nd)

Took 12th AA and the team took 1st(always nice at your home meet). Her thoughts after were: she wants to do better on beam this week and doesn't like the new floor routine at all. Told her she has to act like she LOVES if for this week and states!!!

meet tomorrow too

dd has her last ( I am pretty sure) L3 meet tomorrow. We luckily drew a noon start time so we don't have to get up early and it is only an hour away - so should be able to get a good night sleep and hopefully have a good day.

After tomorrow we have an in-gym meet (fun meet w/ all team and all rec kids just for our gym) in April and then final meet in May that I am pretty sure dd will compete as a L4 in but have not had the official word yet. either way, 3 or 4 - whatever coach feels is best for her.

good luck to all competing this weekend.

DD has meet today.She did not score to well in her last meet.Atleast todays meet is at a decent time,at 2pm.Last one was at 8am.It is a smaller meet and Level 8,9+10's are in one session.She had 2 falls in her last meet.Fell on series on beam,got 8.275 with startvalue of 9.7.Since then she changed a jumpseries in her routine which will give her a 10.0 startvalue.
Touched the ground on bars with her feet after her pirouette(counts as fall)which gave her little momentum for her clearhip and had to do monkeycircle after squaton and had a low cast for her giants,scored 8.2.Vault was good at 8.9 for 3rd place and once she got to floor she was pretty emotional,her 1/1 twist was low.She scored a 9.05 for 6th place.Placed 8th with 10 kids in her agegroup.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back