Parents Anyone competing this weekend?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Meg ~ what level is your dd?? My dd is a level 4 and competed this past Friday and scored her very first 9!! Well, a 9.125 to be exact! Her scores were:

Netty, my dd is a Level 4 too. She is only 6 (October birthday) so she is doing pretty well I think for her age. Congratulations to your dd on her first 9! My dd has gotten a 9.05 on vault (last meet) and a 9.025 on bars (first meet) so I'm hoping she can pull that off in a single meet! Our beam scores were super tough too at this last meet. Lily's teammate, who is a fantastic 7yo gymnast, had only an 8.55 with what looked like a near flawless routine.

Nic, Lily's next meet is the weekend of March 6/7. I am hoping the session times will be up soon. I knew going in that this would be a low scoring meet as I was told by team parents that it usually is so I did not even bring a camera! I was very pleasantly surprised with Lily's floor score and amazed she got an 8.00 on beam even with her fall. They were judging beam super hard (loads of 7s, 6s and even some 5s on beam) so the rest of L's routine must have been good. Only first place on floor had a 9. Second was 8.95, third was 8.85 and then Lily fourth with 8.8. What I am most proud of, though, is that she was getting ready to do her floor routine and was standing in the ready position when they started the Level 5 music! She stood there composedly just waiting for her music to start. She did not get upset or confused and finally the Judges realized what was going on so they waved to the music guy to stop the Level 5 music. She marched right back out on the floor and did her routine very nicely. :) I was impressed with how composed and unfazed she was.

We always think the Judging at the Judge's Cup is really tough. Last year, our old gym had said that they wouldn't return this year (but they did). I'm just glad I'm not a judge!

Lynn, I'm sorry that your dd did not have the meet that she wanted. I hear you on the scores. I think someone told me that they are training new judges at this meet so they are being super picky. There were so many low scores - way more than I have seen at any other meet we've been at. I think an 8.45 with a fall is a great score on beam for this meet. No doubt that would have been closer to a 9 at most other meets.

Meg

Last edited by a moderator:
States is this Saturday and chances are she still won't have that ROBHS. She is upset about it. I would rather her leave it out than try it and just end up hurting herself. Any ideas?

Netty, how close is she to having it? Does she have the standing bhs but just cannot connect it to the round off or is it a situation of being able to do it but crashing on her head? I guess I would want to know what the deduction is for not doing it versus doing it really badly. I doubt she will hurt herself as the floor is so soft and spongy. I have seen a lot of kids crash on their heads on back handsprings (including my own dd several times!) and though it looks scary nobody has gotten hurt. Any chance she can get a spot? I saw several girls spotted on their bhs in this last meet. I am not certain what the deduction is for that, but it must be less than not doing the bhs at all. Maybe she could do that if it's an option. I hope that she gets it this week!

Meg

Dear Megley.. thanks for the encouraging words.. I think after DD saw the overall scores that were just posted yesterday on the website, she felt a bit better... She came in 12th overall for her age group, and like you also said, I told her that w/o that fall on the beam, she would've scored much better on beam.

I wondered why they had SO MANY judges sitting at each table! They were all intently watching the girls, but only 3 were doing the scoring. It makes sense that the others were "in training"... oh well... we have our first "home meet" in 2 weeks, then the March Madness in Chantilly the following weekend...

Everyone else sounds like they had a fantastic weekend of competitions!

-Lynn

Lynn, are you all from Chantilly? We are going to the Flower Power meet there in April. Good luck to your dd at her next meet. We are on next at VIGS the 8th/9th of March.

Meg

Hi Meg... we're not from Chantilly... we're from another "new" gym... Loudoun Gymnastics. DD WAS with Capital last year. There are a LOT of bumps in the road w/the new gym. . . not sure whether or not we're going to stay after states.

Since Katy has already qualified, we don't have to go to the next 2 sectionals - yeah! We're hosting our own "home" meet on the weekend fo the VIGS sectionals, and then we're doing the "march madness" at Chantilly, followed by the GMS invitational in Manassas. Both of those are just "day events" instead of the whole weekend - yeah!

Good luck at Chantilly... DD LOVES their spring floor there!

-Lynn

Lynn, I hope Katy has a good meet at your home meet. Lily qualified to State at Judge's Cup but I guess they are going to VIGS anyway and she just won't be using it as a sectional. We have another sectional at our home gym in April that I guess she could skip but probably won't since it's at home. It's nice you don't have to travel too much. We have Flower Power (which will kill an entire weekend) but then only States (Roanoke for Level 4!) that will take another weekend. Interesting about the Chantilly floor. Is it super bouncy?

Meg

Meg ~ she can do a standing back handspring okay. It's just connecting the 2 together. I think the deductions are as follows: No ROBHS ~ 1.2 deduction; doing the round-off/stop/backhandspring ~ .3 deduction. I think if you have a spot on the floor it's as if you didn't even do the skill so it would be 1.2 off. She could probably score a 9 something. Her best floor score ever was an 8.2. If she had the ROBHS she could get a 9.4!!! States is Saturday so we're all routing for her that she gets it! I'm even willing to try bribery!

Netty---I know you want her to get that ROBHS very badly, but at times its just best to take a deep breath and let her do the routine the way she has been doing it. Tell her to just do her best. Remember that 1.2 would be for a perfect ROBHS. She and her coach should really have the routine planned at this point---either leave it out or do it without the connection. You don't want her so focused on 1 skill she forgets about all the others!!! Also you don't want her overly stressed at her state meet(her 1st?). This should be a great experience for her and her family. Celebrate the fact she made states---not everyone does and go on from there. I know at our state meets the judges congratulate the girls at each event.

I'll bet once the meet season is over and the kids are more relaxed, that ROBHS will happen and she'll be doing them like crazy next year.

Last weekend my daughter got her highest score on beam since she has been doing gymnastics. She is a level 6 and scored her higest ever beam score. Beam 9.025 Bars 7.775 (worst she has gotten this season) Floor 8.700 Vault 8.400 (she does not like vault) She took 2nd beam, 3rd bars, 3rd AA, she was so excited!

Congraulations on a personal best! My daughter is also a Level 6 and I know how tough the scoring can be. Third AA was awesome.

Congratulations on that great beam score! Level 6 is very tough so that is a fantastic score!

Netty, what gymlawmom says makes sense. It may be best to leave it out based on how she feels about it. She would have to do a perfect ro/bhs (unlikely if she has just learned it) to get the full credit. I sometimes wonder if a really bad ro/bhs doesn't score worse than just leaving it out. It's the last skill in the routine and the last thing the judges see so it may be best to just do a really nice round off. Best of luck to her at States!

Meg

we are competing in gaspirilla sat--it is supposed to be huge. My dd is upset because she is struglling with her beam mount. She has had it and lost it. I told her dont worry.

Last Weekend we were in a small session of a very large meet. There were only 8 girls in DD's age group. Another good looking vault but only a 8.05, apparently she is blocking after she hits vertical, not at vertical. That is what they judges like to see.

She got a 8.2 on bars, one of the highest scores the season - We still havent hit that cast requirement.

Beam was very clean, a wobble after full turn and a tiny hop on the landing. 8.575.

Floor looked good to us in the stands. 8.25.. She was upset, because she wanted another 9...

Judging all over the meet was tough apparently because DD Placed very well!

Vault - no place
Bars - 1st place
Beam - 1st Place
Floor - 3rd Place
AA - 2nd place.

She was thrilled

Kritilyn73, You sound like you had a better session at that meet than we did. My daughter also a level 7 competed on sunday. She was sick all week with a bad cold and took 2 huge steps after her 1 1/2 on floor right in fornt of the judges (oops). So she didnt' score well only a 8.15 the week before she had a 9. Bars are always awful for her but, her vault and beam were good. She got a 8.6 on vault no place and a 8.525 on beam 5th place. We had 3 really tough teams with us it was really hard to place. No state score either. DD has one more meet in which to qualifiy for State (AA 35)and then if they dont change the score requirement no state this year. Hope the next meet goes well:rolleyes:.

sounds like some great scores!!

my girls are not competeing yet! I do know there are some kids competing at a Harley Davidson Meet in Wisc tho!! I wish we could go!!

Hope everyone has a good time at there meets this weekend coming up!!!

We have 2 meets to make that 35. We are competing this weekend at TCT's Northern lights meet. Then in 2 weeks at Rising Stars. Even though there are 2 meets left, we have come to the conclusion unless she can pull it all together in 1 meet we will not be at state this year.

Although, she was hitting the Cast requirement on Bars all week this week. Lets hope that plays through to this weekend.

Our hope at state is a 9 on floor and beam and an 8.5 on vault and bars. The 8.5 would be the highest score of the year on those.. but she is making improvements.

Good luck at your meets..

I keep my fingers crossed for everybody competing this weekend,especially for kristilyn73,hope your daughter qualifies for state.we are leaving in a couple of hrs for our trip to Seattle,a 4.5 hr drive.DD will be competing at the battle in seattle sunday morning at 0800.Yuk,way to early,dd is not a morning person.

The harley is a gret meet we have not done it for 2 years but will probably do it next year. It is rumored that MN may drop its level 7 state score. We have also come to the conclusion unless they do my DD wont be ther either. It is sad but a relity of life sometimes. if she could get it all together in one meet she could make it but bars have been tough all year. She got a 34.75 in WI at the Salto Invite so if it goes down we will go other wise there is always another year. Good luck kristilyn73 to you at those meets. DD will be at Rising Stars last sessiono on saturday evening. Cant imagine how late it will go it doesn start until 6:45 maybe the judges will be tired (lol). Good luck this weekend

What a difference a week makes in scoring!!! Yesterday Cate competed in a small local meet and although she placed well the scores were so much lower. I don't think we saw a 9 on beam, and only a couple on floor. Her scores:

Bars - 7.975 (an improvement but couldn't they give that 8, lol)
Beam- 8.85 2nd (again tied for first but ranked by AA)
Floor- 8.75 3rd
Vault- 9.150 3rd
AA-34.925 good for 4th and a trophy.

Good news is that the team won many awards at all age groups, and the girls brought home the event trophey for 1st Place. This was for level 4 to 8. She came home wondering what if again, so the joy of last weekend is no more. She listened to me (I think) when I told her not to worry about the scores, lets just pay attention to the improvement. States are in two weeks and we know how picky they will be there. She is flashing at the NIU gymnastics meet today, and she always comes home from a college meet re-energized. I think it will be a great experience, it's the first meet after the tragedy that occured there in Feb. The University has really come together since that day. And she loves to watch Leah Johnson compete, I don't know if she is on youtube, but she is a truely talented gymnast, and as nice as can be to the younger girls.

Cates gymnastics dream is to someday compete college, and right now her school of choice is NIU, of course it's the only college around here, and where Mom graduated, so her opinions may change as she gets older. We are in the MAC conference, and compete against Western Michigan etc, so theres a good level of competition. Good luck to everyone else, and ONE MORE MEET until states, yeah!:D

I'll try to get videos up on youtube tonight.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back