Parents Anyone else send their kid(s) off to camp this week?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Heading off to the second camp of the summer. DD and I went to Lake Owen week 2, as I was the camp nurse. Later today we are heading off to Geddert's Twistars Camp with her BFF and her mom, one coach and two of the older girls from the gym. Getting excited to go.

We're headed to IGC this morning. I really don't like that they don't allow cell phones -- I end up trolling the daily photos on the website to see if she's okay!

Good luck to all of the kiddos headed off to camp today (and their parents)! Mine are back home... safe, sound, and healthy, though sore. I had to wash Kathy's hair in ketchup last night to get the chlorine green out of it. Sounds like there was some interpersonal drama going on at Tory's dance camp... mean girls and such. I'm sure that existed at Woodward too, but that stuff tends to roll off Kathy's back, plus Woodward is so big that there is no reason you have to spend any extended time with anyone you don't want to.

We're headed to IGC this morning. I really don't like that they don't allow cell phones -- I end up trolling the daily photos on the website to see if she's okay!

No cell phones?! That's a bummer. I'm so glad mine had hers at camp. They were so busy, they barely had time to use them, but she still had time for 1 brief phone call every day, usually right before bed.

I'll be picking mine up from the airport tonight. It sounds like she had a great time & learned lots at Karolyi Camp.:D

Bella has been checked into camp! I left during skills evaluation because she seemed like she was ready for me to go on. She approached a group of girls and was instantly included which was such a huge relief to me. I feel like the training staff is going to be wonderful with her.

My only worry is her cabin "mom". I guess I was expecting the cabins to be staffed by adults with experience working with young children. I'm not sure Bella's cabin person is even an adult. If so, she is barely one and didn't seem very enthusiastic about greeting the campers. She sat on her bed, checked off a name as someone came in and didn't really interact with anyone unless approached. I have to admit that I don't feel like she is going to work very hard to make sure all 16 or so girls under the age of 10 have what they need and get where they need to go.

I just can't believe that they would turn down adult volunteers who have actually raised children to have a teenager who didn't show a lot of interest in the girls in charge of so many little ones.

But other than that, I think B is going to have an absolute BLAST!!!!!!! No tears when I left at all.

Bella's mom- if you are on Facebook, check out the Flip Fest Camp page. They already have pictures up from today. You may be able to spot Bella. :) Hope that she has a great time!

Off to check right now!!!!!!

ETA: shoot....no pics of Bella yet. But I've liked the page and I"ll be checking daily!

My only worry is her cabin "mom". I guess I was expecting the cabins to be staffed by adults with experience working with young children. I'm not sure Bella's cabin person is even an adult. If so, she is barely one and didn't seem very enthusiastic about greeting the campers. She sat on her bed, checked off a name as someone came in and didn't really interact with anyone unless approached. I have to admit that I don't feel like she is going to work very hard to make sure all 16 or so girls under the age of 10 have what they need and get where they need to go.

Wow... that doesn't inspire confidence, does it? That's one think I've been SO impressed with Kathy's two years at Woodward. She's been in the junior cabins both years (the first year because she was under 10, and then this year because there were girls from her gym that were going who were under 10 and they wanted to stay together). The "mini-cabins" as they're called (any cabin that holds 18 girls is anything but "mini" in my opinion, but I guess they're referring to the kids in the cabins) are staffed by "mini-moms" who ARE actual moms. Last year Kathy's mini-mom was a fellow Chalk-Bucket Poster (though we only figured that out when I posted Kathy's "states" video a few months ago) so of course she was awesome. This year's mini-mom had three boys attending camp on the "extreme sports" side of camp. She was also wonderful and I was totally comfortable that Kathy was in good hands. (Though apparently there was much "oohing" and "aahing" by many girls in the cabin over the youngest of Mini-Mom's three sons when he came around the cabin to see his mother. That may have been the one thing Mini-Mom wasn't prepared for! ;) )

I think that once they're in the regular cabins, they're "supervised" by college students. I'm somewhat more concerned about this as my daughter gets older and the interest in boys goes beyond the giggling stage. Do you think she'll object if I continue to sign her up for the mini-cabins until after she graduates from high school?

DD first day at camp today. We dropped her off yesterday...couldn't sleep till I heard from her. I can't stop thinking if she is a) having fun b) learning new skills c) being good.
ARGH....being a mom sucks sometimes!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back