Parents At what point do you step in?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Also late to the thread -I'd just add that often ( not always ) bullying kids have learnt this behaviour from the adults in their lives which is why approaching the parents of these children often does not work...been there done that...so did not work!

Best of luck in your new gym adventure!☺

I am one whose DD was bullied, and it was a coach's daughter. I approached the Head Coach about, and believe it or not, they actually did something. They believed DD (the kid had a history), and took some fairly drastic action. For the most part, the behavior stopped almost immediately. It is not perfect, but they coexist pretty well as they get older. The girl is a better overall gymnast too. They still backed DD. In bullying situations, I would not always assume that nothing will be done, even with queen bees. The gym may surprise you. Many have a strict code of behavior they demand of all gymnasts, as anything less makes the team weaker. It is alway worth a try, if you like the gym, to try and resolve the issue.

Our previous gym which we left at the beginning of the month partly due to my dd being picked on has had 6 complaints of bullying in the last 2 months across 3 different groups in one group the gym favourite was the bully solution they move the bullied down a group another they did nothing the girl left we moved as nothing was done but because of other issues too another girl who was the victim they offers to drop her down a group they left the others in all the above cases not one word has been mentioned to the kids responsible o don't know what has happened as we are no longer there they clearly cannot seem to do anything about this problem very sorry for your dd to go through hopefully when you move you will see a difference and the new girls will be much kinder

Sort of an update -- when we gave official notice the coach's only response was "thanks for telling me". Not one nice thing about wishing her well or anything. It has made the last week really rough. And once the team found out she was leaving virtually all of them are being nasty. This is clearly observable, so the coaches have to know but are ignoring it. (HC is also gym owner, so nowhere to go "up the chain".) She's hanging in there but counting the days until Friday. About the only good thing at this point is that it makes it really easy to leave. DD was feeling guilty about disappointing the one coach she loves but now just wants to be done.

I would advise not going back as well. A few practices missed is no biggie. There is no reason for her to tough it out for one more minute. I'm still trying to figure out why a child who qualified for states is not allowed to go????? Just that would send me packing.

I would advise not going back as well. A few practices missed is no biggie. There is no reason for her to tough it out for one more minute. I'm still trying to figure out why a child who qualified for states is not allowed to go????? Just that would send me packing.
I'm for taking the week off too. There is no reason to go back and submit to that....and frankly, a few days away from there before starting fresh somewhere else can only benefit her.

A good friend quit her gym on a Monday. Parents did it in a very respectable way, giving notice and thanking everyone.....by Wednesday, the coach himself humiliated the girl publicly and basically told her she wasn't part of the team anymore anyway.....this 12 year old girl ran out crying and never finished her 'last week'.

I can cough it up to the coach being upset, or, mad, or whatever......but when you take adult you expect a whole lot more. Period......
To say the least, this kid will not be able to remember this coach fondly for the rest of her life.....sad.

Wow. I've said this before, but these stories make me appreciate our boys' program director all the more. A few guys have left our gym over the years, and whenever he sees them at meets, he goes over and talks to them to see how they're doing. He even checks up on them with their coaches if he hasn't seen them around for a while.

It's just such a shame when people can't act like adults.

I think the OP 's daughter had to finish out the time because it had to do with her PE exemption from school. Or I may be confusing an earlier post ;)

I think the OP 's daughter had to finish out the time because it had to do with her PE exemption from school. Or I may be confusing an earlier post ;)

This, sadly, is what is driving this whole week. If she doesn't have the minimum 10 hours every week they could give her an "F" for PE. Which would leave her short credits to "graduate" from middle school. Which totally and completely sucks. I don't have any sense of just how much they enforce the rule but it doesn't seem like it is worth risking. Last night was better -- the ringleader is away this week and things were better. Her favorite coach is there for tomorrow and Thursday (today is dance day so no gym), and Friday I think we're going to go in long enough to say goodbye to the staff (who we love), get her attendance sheet signed and then disappear. But yeah, this has definitely confirmed our decision!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back