baby giant question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i am really struggleing with my baby giant and desperatly need it for the summer, we do not do kips but meerly cast squat on low bar then jum to high bar swing forward, then backward , then forward agian then attempt the baby giant. My tap swing is not finshing at horizontal but i dont know how to improve it. Thanks​

i am really struggleing with my baby giant and desperatly need it for the summer, we do not do kips but meerly cast squat on low bar then jum to high bar swing forward, then backward , then forward agian then attempt the baby giant. My tap swing is not finshing at horizontal but i dont know how to improve it. Thanks​

The best advice is to work your tap swings and baby giants on a strap bar (I would recommend putting a pad on the bar for your baby giants as the metal bar is much harder than a wooden rail). You can maximise the amount of turns you take in one attempt therefore increasing your productivity over the long run in training.

I was watching all my boys the other week and noted that all of the boys that could do the swing pullover easily all had a very aggressive tap, almost a bit of a flick, prior to the swing pullover.

Those that could not do it, had a tap but not the aggressive flick.

Not sure if this is a bad thing, but it seemed to be easy for the boys that had the flick.

Putting the pad on the bar like blantonnick suggested is a good idea. I will have to try that. My DS does a baby giant starting in front support casting back, swinging down and over the bar to an underswing.

Getting girls to tap on bar work is one of the hardest things in gymnastics. Often, they won't be doing anything resembling an honest to goodness tap till L9. They can get away with it far too often.

One simple drill is baby tap (arch-hollow) to pullover. It's like a dead hang pullover with a swing assist.

You can also cut a piece of pool noodle and slip it over the bar between their hands so they don't worry about slamming their hips on the bar. Many gymnasts kill their swing to avoid this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back