DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Malaika

Coach
Back Handspring step out Layout step out on FLOOR:

When do you teach it?

How do you teach it?

What are prerequisites?

What levels should girls be doing this (training USAG)?

Is it a hard skill to learn?

I start by teaching a round off into a back layout step,out, and a back layout step out on trampoline. Usually we work this skill once they have a good solid round off, back handspring, back tuck.

Before teaching the back handspring step out to layout step out I want the, to have a good round off back layout step out, a standing back tuck and a standing back handspring back tuck.

The reason why I require a standing back tuck and standing back handspring back tuck first, is because if you teach the skills in the other order they will get into the habit of throwing their head back on the back tuck, and back handspring back tuck.

The process of teaching is not complex
Back layout step outs on trampoline and tumble track
Standing back layout step outs spotted of beat boards, boxes etc.
Back handspring step out following by a second back handspring step out over a box
Round off back layout step out
Cartwheel snap up back layout step out
Tumble trak
Spotting
Air mats

I don't put a specific level on learning it, my kids learn things when they are ready regardless of level. I have a few kids who are Level 4 who can do it (that is the equivalent of USAG level 3).

Is it hard to learn, no not at all. If the kid is ready they can do it quite easily as there are just so many lead up skills that they are doing in their training anyway. By the time you start this skill, you have already done so many of the drills and prerequisites without even focussing on it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back