WAG Backhand springs on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wsg13

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
I have been learning backhand springs on and off for about a year. I got another flight element so I don't really need it but I would like to have it. Anyway they drill my wrists. This is the reason I really don't like Doug them it is just so painful. I have never had any trouble with any other skills including tumbling. Am I doing something wrong in the skill that is causing this?

Talk to your coach about how you place your hands, or hand position, or hand shape (all the same said differently).

My DD's wrists get very sore from BHS on beam also. Not sure if it's normal or not. DD's hand position is just how coach wants it.

My DD's wrists get very sore from BHS on beam also. Not sure if it's normal or not. DD's hand position is just how coach wants it.
How long has she been working them? Has she increased her numbers recently? How does she know her hands are placed according to the coaches wishes..... has she asked, or has she just not heard it being corrected.

Lastly, has she told the coach.

How long has she been working them? Has she increased her numbers recently? How does she know her hands are placed according to the coaches wishes..... has she asked, or has she just not heard it being corrected.

Lastly, has she told the coach.

I totally don't want to hack the OP's thread, but I guess the info will help them as well....

First, I doubt DD's told her coach.

Her coach has been a real stickler for hand placement recently. DD first learned the BHS with "backwalkover" hand placement, but a few months ago the HC sent down a decree that she wanted all the compulsory girls using the "other" hand placement, and I know that DD's beam coach has been following the HC's direction and is making sure all of the girls do it properly.

She has been working them 3-4 x per week, probably 40 per practice, but only 15-20 on the real beam, and the other 20 in a series on the softer beam.

She also complains about her wrists hurting when working press handstands and cast handstands. I kind of assumed it was normal because...ouch...it just looks uncomfortable. Thanks IWC!!!

..don't want to hack the OP's thread, but I guess the info will help...

She has been working them 3-4 x per week, probably 40 per practice, but only 15-20 on the real beam, and the other 20 in a series on the softer beam.

The numbers seem fine so I'm thinking she needs to work on her wrist strength and do frequent gentle stretching. Talk to the coach to make sure she knows about it, and ask her to suggest exercises to build wrist strength.

Be concerned if her pain increases or lingers more than two weeks after starting the suggested wrist exercises ( do not over do these).

The numbers seem fine so I'm thinking she needs to work on her wrist strength and do frequent gentle stretching. Talk to the coach to make sure she knows about it, and ask her to suggest exercises to build wrist strength.

Be concerned if her pain increases or lingers more than two weeks after starting the suggested wrist exercises ( do not over do these).

Thanks IWC!!! I will ask her coach about the wrist strength exercises. DD is always stretching them herself because it makes them feel better, I guess.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back