backtuck help please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

ilostmyshoes1156

Hi, ok so i am having trouble with the back tuck i mean i have enough air and can rotate well but when i start rotating i take on this werid C position because my back is arching bad! i am having trouble tucking in my knees... the round off and the back handspring are fine its just the knee tucking problem are there any drills or something anyone can think of. if so thank you :)

Hi, Firstly, Welcome to CB - I love your username!

It is always difficult to help with a post like this because nobody here knows what the exact problem is without seeing a video. I mean, I can guess, but that might not be entirely helpful!
Also, your coach is always the best person to ask, so that is exactly my advice. Ask your coach first. They should know plenty of drills to help you sort it out!

Good Luck!

Not sure if this will help... We do drills where you lay on the floor with your arms by your side. You swing your arms up and so they hit the floor by your head and then you quickly lift and bend your legs to rock up into a tuck. It helps to ingrain the motion into your head and you shouldn't be able to arch your back. We do a similar drill for front tucks. It's also good conditioning :)

I forgot to say you bring your hands to your shins as you bring legs into a tuck position. It should end up being a smooth motion of arms back and then legs and arms in to tuck.

Hi,
Usually the kids I've seen with this problem are the ones who taught themselves to tuck on a trampoline. Chucking your head automatically arches your body. If you're head is neutral it's much easier to stay in the correct round shape. With an 8incher standing against a wall--or with a spotter work Ro-bhs-Set drills where you look for a spot on the wall with your arms up and by your ears. If you chuck your head on these drills you'll feel it--particularly on the 8in drill. When you go back to tucks on floor you really want to reach up tall with flat hips into the set and then snap your shins in to tuck. Tucking too early can also diminish your shapes, bouncing up into the set and then snapping the tuck should help as well. A tuck should float you shouldn't have to rotate super fast to make it around.

Best of luck!

ok thank you for the input i will try the drills at the gym!
thanks again

get a mat and but it on the wall. vertical so its against the wall. Then lay down on the floor so your head is against the mat. bring your hands up against the wall (representing a set) then pull your legs until they smack the wall. Remember: for a back tuck you need to pull your shin not your knees

* don't have my tuck but have done these drills because I am working on tucks and my coach always says shins over

:)

Alot of girls on my team have this problem too--

I would deff. talk to your coach, they will probably be the best help-

But some drills you can do include doing back drop - pull overs on the trampoline with your arms "glued" to your ears, this will help you get used to the movement of flipping with your head in.

Also we have this mat called a boulder (its like a mis-shapen circle) and you can kind of jump back ward and do a backward roll over it with your head and arms in the proper position.

Repetition will really help with any issuesyou are having.

but again, talk to your coach! :)

Hi, ok so i am having trouble with the back tuck i mean i have enough air and can rotate well but when i start rotating i take on this werid C position because my back is arching bad! i am having trouble tucking in my knees... the round off and the back handspring are fine its just the knee tucking problem are there any drills or something anyone can think of. if so thank you :)

stop doing that?:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back