WAG Backwards tumbles with or without BHS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastbecki

Coach
Gymnast
So I have been a gymnast for many years now with different coaches and when it came to backwards tumbling I was always taught to do a roundoff backhandspring back tuck.

However my current coach suggested a few months ago that I take out the backhandspring and just do roundoff back tucks as I was struggling to get height because my power and energy was used up during the BHS. This only got worse as well as practice went on because I would get more tired.

Anyway since doing that I have seen improvements in my tumbling as I have found it easier to twist and do double tucks as I have more height and power!

So I wondering what are the advantages of doing a BHS because most gymnasts do them?
And should I try and persevere and try to put them back into my tumbling?
What are people's opinions and what to other people do?

What level are you in? In certain levels you do need to have three elements in a tumbling pass. However if you could do a round off 1 1/2 into a punch layout it would be a great way to add some connection bonuses. Lots of gymnasts don't use the back handspring and if you get more power without it. Then go for it. Good luck

What level are you in? In certain levels you do need to have three elements in a tumbling pass. However if you could do a round off 1 1/2 into a punch layout it would be a great way to add some connection bonuses. Lots of gymnasts don't use the back handspring and if you get more power without it. Then go for it. Good luck

I live in the U.K, and we run a different system here. But currently the competition I compete in do not need a triple series. Thanks!

For a small number of gymnasts I have them do their saltos out of the round off rather than out out of the round off flic. Usually it is gymnasts who lack shoulder flexibility, most gymnasts can get more speed and power from the flic (BHS) but those with tighter shoulders often have the wrong angle and it slows them rather than spends them up.

If you have good technique, the bhs helps you to generate more speed and power, if you have bad (or even average) technique, the bhs might actually reduce the power you are already generating from the round-off. I'm guessing your technique on your bhs is not good - otherwise there would be no reason for the coach to tell you to do your saltos from the round-off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back