Parents Bar for At Home Use?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you for all of your opinions. I'm not sure who the last couple of posts were directed towards, but since I was the original poster, just wanted to clarify that I am a coach...I do not coach my daughter, but IF I were to help her at home, I would make sure she was not forming any bad habits :D

All that being said, I understand both sides of this discussion. I believe my DD is too big and advanced for us to get much out of a home bar, but if parents of preschoolers or beginners want to get one, that's up to them!

Bog's post, I believe, was directed at me. I wasn't trying to imply anything. I thought I directly stated that you were going to get strong opinions about the topic on BOTH sides of the issue. I certainly have no disrespect toward parents who make the decision that a home bar isn't in their family's best interest. And I have never felt personally disrespected by anyone because I have opted to let my child have one.

This is just an issue that has two sides and it seems everyone has an opinion about it. That's not a bad thing and I hope nothing I've said makes it sound like I think it's bad. To me, it's the same as when a poster asks about trampolines at home. I kind of have a nervous chuckle because I expect some pretty strong opinions on both sides of the topic.

I think the thing we all have in common is to recognize the danger of letting inexperienced skills be worked at home. My daughter works nothing harder than a mill circle at home and she's had that for a few months now. She wants to work FHC but I tell her no because she already struggles with keeping straight arms at the gym and I personally think she would teach herself to cheat at home. And out of respect for the job her coach has....no FHCs.

I'm glad that you were able to gather the opinions and decide what was right for your family. After all, you are ultimately the only person who can do so. :)

Thank you for all of your opinions. I'm not sure who the last couple of posts were directed towards, but since I was the original poster, just wanted to clarify that I am a coach...I do not coach my daughter, but IF I were to help her at home, I would make sure she was not forming any bad habits :D

All that being said, I understand both sides of this discussion. I believe my DD is too big and advanced for us to get much out of a home bar, but if parents of preschoolers or beginners want to get one, that's up to them!

you have a unique situation where you are a coach - most of us are just parents and really the only gymnastics "training" we have is getting blisters sitting on those bleachers watching our kids at meets LOL. Personally I just feel they are in the gym so many hours training already that any time out of the gym should be spent doing "normal" kid stuff (now if we can just figure out what is normal we will be all set LOL)

LOL....there are just some very strong opinions on this topic. Just be ready!

I think it really depends on your personal situation. My daughter got one for christmas and yes it cost about $300. But I personally believe that I have already gotten my money's worth. My daughter is literally on her bar every single day. I would almost go so far as to say it is rare that an hour go bu that she isn't doing something on it. And I don't mean formal gymnastics training. Yes, she does that some but like right now..... she is hanging upside from her knees, then dropping into a dive roll. She just likes playing around on it.

I think if your motivation is in the right place and if it is your daughter's bar for fun rather than a tool YOU will use to train her at home, well, I think I'm in the minority I think it's a positive thing.

And once your daughter outgrows it, they sell quite easily.

could you please ask your daughter, for me, not to do that? my cervicals thank you...:)

could you please ask your daughter, for me, not to do that? my cervicals thank you...:)

LOL..... will do. She only drops about an inch and a half onto a panel mat set on a foam mat. Very cushioned and not a long fall at all. If she stretches, she can put her hands on the mats. Mainly she just likes to hang upside down.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back