bar shorts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Silly question....is it a bad idea to wear bar shorts all the time for practice?

I never thought much about it but my dd refuses to practice without them. I noticed she slipped a few times on her bar routine (didn't fall)at her last meet. Perhaps she's not used to the feeling without shorts? Just curious. I highly doubt I could get her to go without them!

I know some gyms don't allow them for this reason. DD's gym, however, lets the girls wear them anytime, except for the week before a meet, when they are to wear a leo only. I've never seen my DD, who wears them all the time except before a meet, have a problem adjusting to not wearing them (nor have I heard of a problem with any of the other girls - I would say 95% of them wear shorts year-round like she does).

Our gym also allows the year round, with the exception of one day/week when all girls are to wear or team color leo and hair in a bun. This works well for the girls.

Since I do retail, I have included shorts in our inventory. Our rec tumblers and tiny kids love them. Our team girls do, too, but HC won't let them wear them during practice. I asked him, purely out of curiosity, why not? He said that they used to wear them and that they mess with them too much. It became too much of a distraction. I must admit, the girls are very comfortable in just their leos and there are no issues with them at comps. Even the teens. Same kind of thing with the boys....they hated their singlets, so HC started having them wear them one day a week. Worked for my kid...he forgets its on now. Doesn't bother him a bit. I guess its all just what you are used to.

At my gym, Friday is a "routine day." This means our level team that practices at that time does all their routines. During this, we don't wear shorts. After, though, we have a skill day, where we work any event and we can't leave until we get a new skill, whether it's a spin, jump or we get something huge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back