Bars strength

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Im currently working on kips ,squat ons and long hang pull overs (pullover on high bar with bent arms) and as i only go 2 a week i would like to know some strength exersizes to do at home to improve my arm and core strenth, i have a pull up bar, weights and a resistance band.
Many thanks

I dont think doing to much conditioning at home is good because you dont want to strain your muscals by over working them... but some easy things to do is push ups, sit ups, v-ups, handstand push ups, and even just like hollow holds and rocks. If you work really hard and practice and dont cheat on your conditioning you will get the hang of all it soon. :)

I have one exercise that I really love for training the strength needed for kips, but it's difficult to describe. I'll see if I can put together a video sometime soon.

It's ok to condition at home if you're only working out 2x a week, unless you can't recover from it. 2x a week really isn't enough training time, imo, to get strong. It's better than nothing but not as good as 4x a week or 2x training and 2 strength sessions.

Weights, what kind of weights?

For bars, I would focus on the:
pullup
hanging leg lifts besides v-ups, tuck ups, straddle-ups, single leg v-ups
pushups toward handstand pushups
hanging L
hanging straddle-L
and possibly hanging V-holds (in a hang, toes to bar with head in).

hollow holds or just hollow lifts. you make sequences like hollow hold for 5-10s, 3 v-ups, hold for 5-10, 3 more v-ups, etc

test your ability to do a pullup, chest to bar is better than chin over bar. I would prefer a hollow body when pulling versus an arched body or a body using a swing to pullup.

if you cannot perform a regular, dead hang pullup; try doing a pullup with the body horizontal or a jumping pullup, hold at the top with a slow descent

test your max number of pullups, cut the number in half and do 5 sets of these. same with pushups and leg lifts

if you cannot perform a leg lift to horizontal, work on doing them in a tuck to the chest.

before you do the pullups, pushups, and leg lifts, practice the L or V-hang and straddle-L hang about 5-10x. rest as necessary between holds, 30-60s. yeah, it'll take some time to get through this

another good type of leg lift is hanging leg lift toes to bar extend to candle/crade (straight inverted position) and lower down.

another is leg lift toes to bar, straddle through to inverted straddle-L

rocking levers is good. pull to flex arm hang, rock to candle/cradle. start these first in a tuck position and slowly over time and sessions extend to a straight body

skin the cats on the bars are a good exercise as well. L-hang pullups or wide arm pullups with an L-hang are tough as well.

try doing pushups with the bar under your chestbone or ribs instead of your shoulders over your hands.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back