WAG Bent Arms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dmbgymnast

Gymnast
This may seem like a stupid question, but I really need the help. I have started learning the xcel silver vault, and I cannot keep my arms straight once they hit the table. This wasn't a problem with my level 3 vaulting, nor with a regular front handspring over the table. What can I do, and do you know if there was a reason for it?

This could be a number of things, a video would be best. Or you could show me one at practice. Anyway's, one thing could be a lack of arm and shoulder strength. If you don't have enough strength to successfully block off the table you won't be able to complete the silver vault. A front handspring vault does not need a block to make it over. With a simple arch you will get over. Having to go up onto the mats forces you to block. You are trying to compensate the block by bending your arms.

Since you are 5'8"ish and are vaulting on 0 of 100, that could also play into it. Working on a faster run and stronger hurdle with a taller vault might help. Based on your height you should be on at least 110. With a powerful run/hurdle and tight body you should be fine going on a higher setting. That might help, as it forces you to go up and be tight.

The last thing I can think of at the moment is that you are changing your vault. The mats could be making you think differently or freak you out. If that's the case, then you need to realize that it's basically the same thing as the level 3 vault, just starting with a table. Don't change your vault.

Talk to the coaches about doing more arm/shoulder conditioning, drills, and possibly raising the table.

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back