Parents Brag alert--Not what you think!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ladybird

Proud Parent
Well, tonight as I was picking up my 9 year old DD from practice, she comes out and proudly announces, "I crotched the beam after my split leap! See, I am getting braver." So, I gave her a high five and said, "Good job!"

The beam has been her nemesis since pre-team. She has been afraid of the cross handstand for two years (she thought she would fall completely over and break her spine). She is finally at vertical.

I believe this beam fear thing is partly responsible for her repeating level 3/old 4, so to hear that she is really going for it with all her skills is making me proud!

My DD was about 7 or 8 when she came up to me (grinning) and told me that she "cratched the beam." I suppose I was smiling and looking vaguely confused when a friend whispered to me, "she means 'crotched' the beam." Well, I had never heard that phrase either, but at least it was easier to figure out. I guess it's a rite of passage, up there with rips and beam bites. Why do gymnasts seem so pleased with themselves when they leave a hunk of flesh behind them on the equipment?

Congrats to you DD for going for broke (or broken, as the case may be)!

I hate the word crotch! Lol especially coming out of the mouths of little girls. Much prefer split the beam.....

Apparently it is one of those weird gymnast rites of passage!

I hate the word crotch! Lol especially coming out of the mouths of little girls. Much prefer split the beam.....

Apparently it is one of those weird gymnast rites of passage!

Yes, a "rite of passage" is what I have heard many times!

We use 'split the beam". And it was never something my daughter was proud of. It was always painful for her. I don't think it was something she looked forward to either. But she was excited about her first rip!

ugh! Kipper "split the beam" 3 times in a row, and a her beautiful cartwheel disappeared for 4 months! She says splitting the beam is the only time you are allowed to cry in gym.

We use 'split the beam". And it was never something my daughter was proud of. It was always painful for her. I don't think it was something she looked forward to either. But she was excited about her first rip!
This will hopefully be the first and last time she is "proud" of this. And I also hope her new found braveness doesn't lead to this end result again!

ugh! Kipper "split the beam" 3 times in a row, and a her beautiful cartwheel disappeared for 4 months! She says splitting the beam is the only time you are allowed to cry in gym.
Our girls our only allowed to cry if they are hurt as well. Of course, they are girls and there are plenty of tears from other things (hurt feelings, coach yelling,etc).

Glad your DD had a great attitude about it! As far as I know, my DD hasn't split the beam yet, though she is still on the floor beam with her cartwheel attempts, I believe. I don't think she will be very thrilled, though! Regardless of the "you're a real gymnast now" moment... It was total drama and tears over her first rip. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back