Can gymnasts use training/palm grips in USAG meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bigtiny

Different coaches have told my daughter different things regarding training grips/palm grips. Are gymnasts allowed to compete with them at USAG meets?

Thank you for the information.

Yes, they can. But most USAG programs don't really encourage or use them so there could be some confusion over that.

The coaches say her hands are too small for dowel grips (she is a small 7-year-old Level 5), but her hands are ripped to shreds. They have to use tape grips every day because her hands are bleeding. She asked them about training grips so she wouldn't have to keep using the tape grips, and one coach said yes and the other said no, that they weren't allowed in competition.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, my DD competed in them L5 USAG(and was AA state champ in them). I just don't recommend them because she became addicted to them & wouldn't switch to dowel grips when she should have(when the rest of the team did). It became a big deal & really hindered her getting her giant later on(because she wouldn't wear the dowel grips). Even the Hot shot & Pixie & Just Right brand dowel grips are too big??? Those brands come pretty small. Check them out. JMHO.

What I would do if she were my gymnast would be to have her get a pair of palm guards to keep at the gym and wear as needed. She would not necessarily have to compete in them, but could use them as needed instead of tape grips. I don't know how the coach has time to be making tape grips everyday, I'm assuming most 7 yr olds cannot make these themselves.

We have a pair of old palm guards at the gym that the girls can use if they have a rip, sometimes they only need one. This way they are only used as needed and are not getting used to in a way that would prohibit switching over to dowel grips later.

Also if she is ripping A LOT maybe she is gripping the bar TOO tightly or maybe they are working bars too long. A 7 yr old with ripped to shreds bloody hands should NOT be the NORM!

Maybe you could PM ingymmom and see what brand her daughter used? I know she was in grips at 5 years old and she is pretty tiny. I know there are teeny tiny grips out there, maybe the coaches just aren't aware they exist because they haven't had one to tiny. :D

The coaches say her hands are too small for dowel grips (she is a small 7-year-old Level 5), but her hands are ripped to shreds. They have to use tape grips every day because her hands are bleeding. She asked them about training grips so she wouldn't have to keep using the tape grips, and one coach said yes and the other said no, that they weren't allowed in competition.:confused:

Hmm. Yeah, I don't know (well, except they are allowed). Maybe you could ask them about the Hot Shot grips. I have a very small 7 yr L5 in dowels...hasn't been a big issue, although I understand the thought behind it. She doesn't really "need" them now, but she adjusted pretty fast.

Grips are available in VERY tiny sizes. Flipper started wearing dowel grips in L5 at age 7. (She just turned 11 and wears size 6X/7 clothes.) Bailee makes a size 00 with narrow palms and buckle closure - so you can punch another hole if necessary - that fit tiny hands. Flippers HC put kids in dowel grips early saying that they would have to get use to them eventually, and it's easier to learn skills in them then to have to relearn skills in them. Flipper absolutely HATED them - they set her back several months in learning skills, but once she was used to them, she won't go near bars without them.

I'm pretty sure. No one really checks your grips in competition so I don't see why not. Are you talking about the beginner grips? Then if so, yes.

Midget competes in Pixie Grips as she rips a lot as well.

No issues.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back