WAG Can I do gymnastics in the US?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

well after this summerbreak i will be on a exchange year in the US and i want to know if i can join a gym and compete even though i'm not american?

thank you for your help x

well after this summerbreak i will be on a exchange year in the US and i want to know if i can join a gym and compete even though i'm not american?

thank you for your help x

What a fabulous opportunity for you! Any gym would be happy to take your money, assuming you are under 18. If you are 18, a lot of gyms would still be happy. :)

Cost depends on the gym and what level you are too. If you know what city you will be staying in, I would see if you can contact gyms in that area and contact their team coaches directly--just to get an idea now if you can afford it. Good luck!!

Just make sure this is discussed well ahead of time with gym, parents, and especially host family. Your parents would have to pay the gym directly somehow (automatic credit card debit maybe?) and your host family will need to be willing to transport you to practices. If you plan to compete, you may even need to discuss things like, are there other gym parents or coaches who may be willing to take you with them to some of the meets. Your host family may well want to accompany you to some meets, but teams in the US may compete a lot more often than what you're used to. Getting kids to all those meets is a big commitment even when they're your OWN kids! If you can find a flexible gym and a super-supportive host family, it could be an awesome experience, for you and for your US teammates!

There are specific rules that must be followed when it comes to foreign athletes competing in the U.S. The USAG Rules and Policies has the necessary information. Your host club would need to take the appropriate actions to notify the meet host; its not a big deal, just something that has to be done in order to not violate the meet sanction.

Good Luck!

Just make sure this is discussed well ahead of time with gym, parents, and especially host family. Your parents would have to pay the gym directly somehow (automatic credit card debit maybe?) and your host family will need to be willing to transport you to practices. If you plan to compete, you may even need to discuss things like, are there other gym parents or coaches who may be willing to take you with them to some of the meets. Your host family may well want to accompany you to some meets, but teams in the US may compete a lot more often than what you're used to. Getting kids to all those meets is a big commitment even when they're your OWN kids! If you can find a flexible gym and a super-supportive host family, it could be an awesome experience, for you and for your US teammates!

yes i understand:)
thank you:)

There are specific rules that must be followed when it comes to foreign athletes competing in the U.S. The USAG Rules and Policies has the necessary information. Your host club would need to take the appropriate actions to notify the meet host; its not a big deal, just something that has to be done in order to not violate the meet sanction.

Good Luck!

going to read them now:) thank you a lot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back