Parents Coaches not around for awards??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our coaches are not there, for all of the above reasons. I have been asked to send pics of DD on the podium at Championship meets though.

As a coach for over 20 years, I can tell you that skipping awards is not personal towards the kids or parents! We usually have either another session, or its the only time we get to eat. Sometimes I intend to eat and go to awards, but I get chatting with some other coaches during our rare downtime and I totally forget. I used to enjoy awards, but now with online scoring there are no surprises, but yet awards seem to take FOREVER! Also, sometimes the awards are held away from the competition floor, and the food room, and I simply don't feel like running around during our short and sweet breaks. Plus, sometimes I just need a few minutes of quiet downtime to drink some coffee, check in at home, and get revved up for the next session. Please don't let your feelings get hurt by it.

Ours don't stick around, they often have another session going on right after. The kids don't expect them to be there, they get a big hug after their session is done and they're sent off to awards in a different area where their families and teammates cheer for them.

Ours don't stick around, they often have another session going on right after. The kids don't expect them to be there, they get a big hug after their session is done and they're sent off to awards in a different area where their families and teammates cheer for them.

Awards are also often a poor reflection of how a child or a team does. A coach who focuses on the little victories will have already had the right conversations with their athletes, whether it's staying on the beam during the cartwheel, or landing a flyaway, or whatever, that are more often than not not reflected in awards.

Most of our coaches are usually there for awards - we don't have a lot of coaches that coach multiple levels, so they usually can stay and do. Times when coaches leave because they have to coach another session or get on the road to get to another coaching responsibility (like coaching another level at the gym the next day), they usually will say bye to the girls and congratulate them.

Is it customary for the coaches to bail the second competition is over? 4 of our girls placed and our team won 2nd place all around and the coaches left and weren't there to support our girls and congratulate them!!! I'm shocked, pissed and dismayed!!!!
Coach- gets up at 7am to be at the meet by 8am, (maybe even started driving at 5 am) might have back to back sessions often running until 8 or 9 pm. If they are lucky they will get some time to sit and have lunch, and take a load off after running around, spotting, adjusting equipment and moving mats. This is tough, sweaty backbreaking work.... They also are dealing with the kids, my kid, your kid.......maybe some crying, some drama, but i'm sure coach is having their own stress of 'doing well' and keeping the kids put together (competition is stressful on coaches and kids)
Usually, the next sessions kids arrive before the previous session is over, which means coach has to take them them and start warm up, or, if they are lucky will get a pep talk and some down away from mom and dad- before the meet starts.

Yes, I have seen coaches RUN to the bathroom while kids are warming up an event. I have seen them sneak food because they did NOT get to have a lunch....I have seen coaches taking a quick nap before they need to drive home for 4 hours after an all day meet. (all day can easily mean 12 hours plus)
*OH, and lets not forget, meet season often means your coach hasn't had a day off in weeks.....practice Monday thru Friday, then meets all weekend, to appear bright eyed and bushy tailed on Monday afternoon?? 8 days a week sista!

So, for all us parents out there who forget, meet awards are a big deal to us PARENTS! the kids want some bling, and the coaches worry about monday morning........
Don't mean to be blunt, but a coach sticking around for a meet to watch my kid, or your kid seems very......_________________(fill in) and if they do, HUG THEM.

Lets give a hand to our coaches who really do this for the passion of gymnastics....cuz, they aren't getting paid like a football coach.

Coach- gets up at 7am to be at the meet by 8am, (maybe even started driving at 5 am) might have back to back sessions often running until 8 or 9 pm. If they are lucky they will get some time to sit and have lunch, and take a load off after running around, spotting, adjusting equipment and moving mats. This is tough, sweaty backbreaking work.... They also are dealing with the kids, my kid, your kid.......maybe some crying, some drama, but i'm sure coach is having their own stress of 'doing well' and keeping the kids put together (competition is stressful on coaches and kids)
Usually, the next sessions kids arrive before the previous session is over, which means coach has to take them them and start warm up, or, if they are lucky will get a pep talk and some down away from mom and dad- before the meet starts.

Yes, I have seen coaches RUN to the bathroom while kids are warming up an event. I have seen them sneak food because they did NOT get to have a lunch....I have seen coaches taking a quick nap before they need to drive home for 4 hours after an all day meet. (all day can easily mean 12 hours plus)
*OH, and lets not forget, meet season often means your coach hasn't had a day off in weeks.....practice Monday thru Friday, then meets all weekend, to appear bright eyed and bushy tailed on Monday afternoon?? 8 days a week sista!

So, for all us parents out there who forget, meet awards are a big deal to us PARENTS! the kids want some bling, and the coaches worry about monday morning........
Don't mean to be blunt, but a coach sticking around for a meet to watch my kid, or your kid seems very......_________________(fill in) and if they do, HUG THEM.

Lets give a hand to our coaches who really do this for the passion of gymnastics....cuz, they aren't getting paid like a football coach.

I can totally understand from the kid's perspective that they would want their coach there for awards. They work w/ this coach for 10+ hours a week to prepare, and when it comes time to actually receive the rewards for their work, the coach who helped them achieve everything is not around? That would be pretty disappointing for the gymnast. I don't think it's (____ fill in) for a parent see things from their child's perspective.

Maybe the real problem is many gyms are stretching their coaches too thin by making them coach multiple levels. I was once at a gym that had one coach coaching 4 compulsory levels - kids felt neglected over stuff just like this...

I can totally understand from the kid's perspective that they would want their coach there for awards. They work w/ this coach for 10+ hours a week to prepare, and when it comes time to actually receive the rewards for their work, the coach who helped them achieve everything is not around? That would be pretty disappointing for the gymnast. I don't think it's (____ fill in) for a parent see things from their child's perspective.

Maybe the real problem is many gyms are stretching their coaches too thin by making them coach multiple levels. I was once at a gym that had one coach coaching 4 compulsory levels - kids felt neglected over stuff just like this...

I think its wise to tell your kid from day one, that coach has other kids to worry about, ( not just MY kid )and that once they get their awards, maybe they can try to show the coach later in the meet....But no, I don't think the kid is disappointed. Parents, maybe. All im saying is best to be reasonable from day one. Parents shouldn't put the idea in their kids head that, coach so and so wasn't even here! OMG!!....the kids have other things to care about anyway.
And yes, it is very common for gyms to spread coaches out too thin. Meets are expensive for gym owners....meals, hotels, gas, salary, overtime.....

LOL. I am not even sure my son noticed that the coach wasn't there when we first started. He was so excited to see his teammates get awards, and to get team awards, that was key.....he loved it. Teammates and family can go a long way!!

Oh my goodness I would NEVER expect the coaches to go to awards! They typically have another warm up going on then for the next session and if they don't, they need to eat, go to the bathroom and just take a minute to regroup! As a mom I personally find meets exhausting- and I only am there for one session! i can't imagine a whole weekend of twelve hour days! And then travel (our coaches really go above and beyond to keep travel costs down for themselves) Awards are for the kids - the coaches already know who did what, and in all these years (DD is going to do L9 this year) my child has never been upset or even wondered why the coaches were not there at awards! Give them some grace and let it go. :)

Nah. The kids get it. They know coaches are often coming from or going to another session. The kids also know that the coaches often miss meals during meets. I think you are projecting your desire for your kid to be congratulated by the coach in the moment of the award. The coach would have already congratulated the kid on a great routine immediately after the routine.

Rarely do I see coaches stick around for awards. They are usually either off to coach the next session, get food or quick down time before next session, or if the final session, start to make the trek home after what is usually a loooooong day/weekend.

Heck, most of the parents here who are past Level 3 wish WE could skip those (often ridiculously long) award sessions sometimes... ;)
Can I get a freaking AMEN...........

Really our coaches (at least one) stays when they can. And we are a small gym. Our coaches coach all Levels 2-8 Currently but up to 9/10. So they are usually there for the whole meet.

They usually have another session. Have been at the meet all freaking weekend and not just the one 4 plus hour session we are at. Things like, food, sleep, bathroom. Kinda important......................

We extend grace..............

Nah. The kids get it. They know coaches are often coming from or going to another session. The kids also know that the coaches often miss meals during meets. I think you are projecting your desire for your kid to be congratulated by the coach in the moment of the award. The coach would have already congratulated the kid on a great routine immediately after the routine.

YES! I think kids are mostly inclined to feel rejected or hurt if the parents feel rejected or hurt. If they DO bring it up, use the moment to teach and model empathy, rather than entitlement.

Gymnasts and their families are required to stay through the end of awards, so I wouldn't be too happy if the coaches bailed.

Gymnasts and families are there for one session. It is the gymnasts ceremony. It is respectful to all the gymmies who participated to stay. That is about good sportsmanship.

The coaches did their job and are likely off to get ready to do their job again, for the next session. And getting ready includes, eating for energy to spot and correct a gymmie who could be my kidand even going to the bathroom, so they can spot and not cross their legs. I would prefer them to be able to focus.

The coaches did their job and are likely off to get ready to do their job again, for the next session. And getting ready includes, eating for energy to spot and correct a gymmie who could be my kidand even going to the bathroom, so they can spot and not cross their legs. I would prefer them to be able to focus.

I am fine with the coaches leaving if they are working multiple sessions, but this is almost never the case at our gym. If the girls and families are required to stay to demonstrate sportsmanship and support for all competitors, it does not send a good message if the coaches are hightailing it out of there. With the itty bitties you also need the coaches there to corral them and make sure they get to the podium in a timely fashion when their names are called. I am glad my daughter's coaches stay with the team during awards whenever possible.

LOL. I've NEVER seen kids get up to the podium in a timely fashion, with or without coaches. Not even the bigger kids. And they ALWAYS end up at the wrong numbers. I think that's more the job of the meet volunteers who are announcing names and handing out awards, not the coaches.

Honestly, it only sends a bad message if you think it does. We choose to look at it differently.

I have mixed feelings. I understand when the coaches have multiple sessions and must get some food and a bathroom break. The other side of the page is the parents are paying our coaches meet session fees as well as food and travel. If the coach can make it to awards it would be very welcome, especially when the team on the floor could possibly consist of only one or two gymnasts. When DD tested out of 4 and 5, at the same meet, I paid the coach two session fees of 95 a piece, the coach wonderful sat with DD at awards and deserved every penny.

Hahaha! I can't imagine having to sit through more than one awards session per meet. They are AWFUL.
As parents, we are not paying their food/travel for them to be our kids' cheerleaders. We are paying them to coach. Girls cannot go out on the floor without a coach. They can go to awards without one.
Besides, the coaches don't want to rehash Suzy's events with her parents .... then talk to Sally's....then Johanna's.....etc.

What was that phrase that went around here for awhile? Practice is for the gymnasts; meets are for the parents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back