WAG Coming back from injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What kind of cast did she have on? This just seems insane to me if she had an immobilizing cast on for four solid weeks. If her elbow was completely immobilized for four weeks, she might be starting to tumble on it on a tumbl trak in two weeks. Maybe! My daughter was probably older than yours when she broke her arm, but even though her elbows hyperextend, it still took her about two weeks to get the joint working properly again -- and it was still a while after that before she was cleared to do weight-bearing gymnastics. This only makes sense to me if it was some sort of removable cast or one that somehow did not immobilize either her elbow or her wrist. And even then, I'm skeptical.

I'd talk to a sports ortho doc and then go back to the coach with that doc's recommendation.

As a physician, I second the notion of finding a new Dr or at least getting some recommendations for rehab/return from either a sports ortho doc, sports med doc (usually Fam Practice that have done extra training) or a PT with expertise in sports injuries.

One thing to really look out for is symmetry - if she returns too quickly she may favor her "good" arm, which can set up for all sorts of problems later; the arms need to be of equal strength (as much as possible) so that skills use both arms. For example on bars, if one arm is doing most of the work, she'll get fatigued before finishing the routine and be more likely to peel. Can also cause all sorts of neck & back pain due to one half of the body working harder. May not be so much of an issue at L3, but still something to think about.

Thank you everyone. I was concern and that's why I asked. I really do believe that 2 weeks is not enough. Asked her coach, if she should scratch and her coach reply was, she will be okay, she will bounce back because she's a hard worker. Not really an answer I was looking for. I don't want to send her competing when I know, she is not able to perform her best because of the lack of training and missed practices.

so don't let her. YOU'RE the parent. the end. :)

One thing to really look out for is symmetry - if she returns too quickly she may favor her "good" arm, which can set up for all sorts of problems later; the arms need to be of equal strength (as much as possible) so that skills use both arms. For example on bars, if one arm is doing most of the work, she'll get fatigued before finishing the routine and be more likely to peel. Can also cause all sorts of neck & back pain due to one half of the body working harder. May not be so much of an issue at L3, but still something to think about.

i would like to add to that. post injury, the body tries to "protect" the original injury. when this happens, OTHER parts of the body can become injured due to super compensation.

You're the parent, tell the coach she is not competing. She's young. Teach her now that you only have one body, treat it well. My daughter has missed 2 meets over the years due to injury, neither were serious, but it wasn't worth the risk of further injury. I didn't get refunds for either meet, either, just part of gym life.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back