WAG Comp season is here- what are your traditions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Before every meet, we give my daughter a massage. This morning I ask my daughter if she was ready for meet season. She responded in the affirmative and said, "I'm really excited for my massage Friday night!" Do any of you have specific pre-competition rituals or traditions?

P.S. Good luck to those families starting another comp season. HERE WE GO!!!

massage idea is cute :)

no evening before ritual other than keeping her from cartwheeling into a sharp edge of furniture in our small urban living space.

hair fixed on a barstool in the early AM of meet day feels like a ritual @ this point. ride in the far back of a teammate's van with a bagel/cream cheese stop, for away meets. a celebratory meal post competition. showing the medals/trophies to teen siblings upon her return home.

looking forward to hearing more after meet traditions. beforehand we will keep things low key / business as usual.

7 weeks to go & counting. best wishes to all!

Our pre-meet routine is to get DD hair all done up at a stylist since I am HOPELESS with hair. Then after the meet it's dinner/lunch at her favorite place where we happen to be, either Bonefish or Marcaroni Grill. We still have ten weeks to go.

Nothing before a meet, but always ice cream after a meet. Preferably a oreo McFlurry, which is funny as we never ever eat at Mcdonalds as that food makes me hurl. We always celebrate a meet being done no matter what the outcome. Mind you here there are rarely meets, maybe 3 a year, and there are rarely medals. I imagine in the US where you do so many meets and there are so many medals it all becomes pretty ritualistic.

Put on Leo. Pull hair back 3 or 4 times until I'm sure none will escape and cause my routines to be intruppted (no score) carefully unscrew earring for the same reason. Eat something that will not make me vom all over the trampoline. Realize everyone else's hair is messy and that girl has 9 earrings!

Do routines

Sit through 3 hour award ceremony so that I and all 300 other kids can get the same ugly nickel sized medal.

Go home sharpie place and score on said ugly medal so that I can remember.:p

You mean aside from prayer the entire time that neither she nor her teammates injure themselves?

If the timing is right, we typically all go out to eat afterwards. (level 9/10s--it's a tight knit group--both girls and parents). Nothing else really!

I've been considering sacrificing a goat on the balance beam to see if that will help dd stick her flight series.[/quote
Now that's a pagan tradition I can get behind! Let me know when the goats going down and I may throw a few hallelujahs it's way (it's gotta be better than hitting the bottle like MaryA). ;).

My personal traditions involve increasing my alcohol intake and decreasing the size of my bank account.

At our gym, we've joked about getting matching flasks for the upcoming season, LOL! Some of our traditions are eating with DD's teammates after the meets and getting a treat afterwards. DD is looking forward to starting up again! Think she has about 7 weeks to go. :eek:

I always get a chocolate thick shake from McDonald's (not very healthy, i know) and a fruit salad before a meet because I'm never in the mood to eat a lot before I compete :)

1) The painful meet hair ritual - pull back tight so child is in pain, gallons of hairspray, twist/wrap, elastics, scrunchies, pins if necessary
2) If a hotel the night before kind of meet, dinner at a restaurant with other gym families, explore our surroundings
3) After meet, dinner or lunch out
4) Depending on performance: speeches about the process and making progress, not getting down, being mentally tough OR see how hard work pays off, your focus was excellent, I'm so happy for you

It is the speeches required to maintain DD's emotional stability that is the worst part of competition season and the cause of my alcohol intake!!

8 weeks to go!

My dd likes a good steak dinner the night before she competes.

Mine likes one after. She had the order down pat at the ripe age of 7.... "I'll have an 8 oz (said like the city in the Wizard of Oz) steak, medium rare, with fries please."

But in previous years she had a max. of 3 meets, and only invitationals. This year, she is doing 7 to 9, and a full half of them are out of town involving overnights and/or flights, some might involve team travel (ie. I might be there, but I'm not going with her - she's going with the team)...... so I think far fewer steaks are in her future.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back