Parents Competition Season approaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

clrmom

Proud Parent
Is anyone else starting to get excited as competition season approaches? I know that a lot of different areas start the season at different times, but for our compulsory girls we are weeks away from our first competition.

You can tell the girls are really starting to get excited and I have to admit that I am too. I love watching my dd and her teammates compete. It is nice to see all their hard work pay off.

Of course the one downfall of competitions approaching is the fact that I hear floor music in my dreams :)

Anyway...good luck to everyone on your approaching season!

Our season is starting soon too but our optional girls haven't learned routines yet! Im sure it will be fine as it always is, but as a mom who hasn't been doing this for a hundred years it makes me nervous. My DD is like "mom, no big deal, it only takes a minute to learn a routine" but I am waiting patiently to see them work the routines. Its our first optional year and all our compulsory girls have theirs already. Anyway, it will be fine,but to answer your question, I am nervous and excited. GOOD LUCK to all the gymmies ready to compete!

DD has already had her "practice meet" at Judges' Cup this past weekend, so now she is ready to go again. :) It's fun to see them so excited about the season. Good luck to everyone getting ready to start their seasons!

To echo lhmom, I also want to wish everyone a fun and successful season! We have Judge's Critique (no awards, they get a score range and comments for the judges) the first weekend in October, then the first real meet is the second weekend in November. I am also anxious to see them back in action. It's true wallinbl, the off season does seem long! We have 9 meets scheduled this year, so by the time March rolls around, I'll be singing a different tune (one of "I am SO ready for meet season to be over!"). Good luck to everyone's kiddos! :)

I look forward to meet season and love watching my DD and her team compete... HOWEVER I don't understand the need to go to so many meets. Like Marn'sMom, we have 9 meets (if you count States)... one in November, one in December, two in January, three in February, and then we're hosting our own meet for the first time ever the first week in March. Plus States, which luckily, for my daughter's level, aren't till late April. So between January 25 and March 3 we have exactly one free weekend... 5 meets in 6 weeks. And three of them are biggies (Parkettes, Chicago Style, and Pink), one requiring major travel. I guess I would be interested to know what the advantages are of having a schedule like this? Surely the gymnasts can't be expected to improve over that period of time. I know that last year by mid-February my daughter was wiped out and her scores actually started to decline.

Didn't mean to turn this into a vent, and I do love DD's gym and the head coach, who I'm sure has very good reasons for running the program this way. But to me it seems like we could cut a few of these and still have a very full season.

We go to 4 meets, then the state meet (optionals have a different schedule and I don't really know what it is). It's not many, almost too few. I know the HC is concerned that meets are expensive and doesn't want gymnastics to be too expensive for people, so I can't blame him too much for keeping a small schedule. It's reasonably spread out over 3-4 months, so it's not too short.

I think some people feel the girls practice year-round, so they should have more opportunities to show off at meets. Every other sport has more than 9 games in a season :). (I know what you mean though--that's a lot of meets!).

And congrats to everyone who is starting competitions soon! Compulsory season gets started here in a month. Have to wait until January before I get to watch DD compete though.

No fall season for my daughter as she is level 7 this winter, but I am meet director for out gym and we are hosting our first home meet in November, so I have plenty to keep me busy this fall.

Good luck to all the gymmies starting soon.

Little Monkey's first meet is not till Dec but we will likely go and watch some compulsories. We also have 9 meets scheduled, DD loves competing and traveling with teammates, we are looking forward to a fun season! More meets give the girl a chance to tweak routines and maybe try different skills, all in preparation for States, Regionals and hopefully Easterns!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back