Competition team and Parent Problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

HI! So I'm a gymnast and have been for a while now and I was offered a spot on my gyms competition team, but my mom made me turn it down because she said I should focus on school.
But the thing is that I have over a 4.0 GPA and now I have level 7/8 skills on most apparatuses and I really would like to be a collage gymnast, but I don't have any competition records or anything. At the gym I go for four hours a week and I'm in the recreational level 3 girls class.
If i did start to compete would I have to start in the level 4's?

HI! So I'm a gymnast and have been for a while now and I was offered a spot on my gyms competition team, but my mom made me turn it down because she said I should focus on school.
But the thing is that I have over a 4.0 GPA and now I have level 7/8 skills on most apparatuses and I really would like to be a collage gymnast, but I don't have any competition records or anything. At the gym I go for four hours a week and I'm in the recreational level 3 girls class.
If i did start to compete would I have to start in the level 4's?

Use that over 4.0 GPA when you write or spell check :p

because they only have rec classes up to level 3 at my gym

This scenario will not lead to college gymnastics, unfortunately...You may be able to participate at a D3 program with a club team but you are going to need training above Level 3...

I'm surprised you are learning/training level 7/8 skills in a L3 class. The logistics of that seem difficult.

Anyway, if you truly have a good, solid GPA, perhaps use that as evidence with your parents. Tell them how important this is to you and perhaps make a deal that if grades start to slip, that you would discontinue your gymnastics.

Many colleges want well-rounded students. If you are only studying and aren't participating in anything else, they find that less desirable than having a solid (but not 4.0 GPA) and having some other interests.

As a pp said, perhaps it is something else, like money or logistics that are causing them to say no. Most teams practice 4-6 days/week. Perhaps the time commitment is not possible for them and they just don't want to say so.

Does your gym have a prep op/xcel team? If so, that would be another option to consider, you still get to compete but it is generally less hours, less money, less commitment.

This makes sense to me because y gym is set up kind of similarly. They only have rec classes and most of the girls in u=your class are a few levels behind you. If I were you I would ask your mom if she can't afford it and maybe ask if theres a prep op class. Maybe wait and ask her next season. You could use that extra year to focus on skills not routines and competition. Good Luck!!

I think you should discuse that you want to do college gymnastics with your mom and promise her you will work hard. If you do the competition team you don't necessarly have to start with the level 4 if your coach sends a video with skills and routines in and then you can be approved to start at level 7, a couple girls around here have done that after their high school career.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back