WAG Concussion warning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I didn't know exactly what to title this thread but I definitely wanted to post a thread on it as sort of a public service announcement if that is ok.

I had a very unconventional gymnastics career where I wasn't afraid of much and my coaches didn't like to teach new skills much so I taught myself most of the skills level 7 and up. Because of that, a lot of time was spent "chucking" new skills which I don't advise anyone to do, it was just what I did and now I understand how dangerous that was.

Anyway, because I taught myself those skills, I was doing them without a spot and really without any corrections. So, I must have fallen on my head quite a few times and gotten some concussions. I can think of several different times when I landed on my head and had concussion symptoms for a while after but never told anyone and kept doing everything. The symptoms would go away with time.

Finally, I got to college and was going to compete on a great gymnastics team with a great coach. I was so excited. However, within the first month or so of practice (I think it was still pre-season actually) I fell on my head once more. For most people, they would be fine after a few days or a week. This was my first documented concussion but several different medical professionals said that I must have had more because my first concussion would not have affected me like that one did...

A year later I don't have as good of a memory as I did before the fall and I still have headaches and I am not allowed to do anything where I could possibly get another concussion. Anyway the point of this thread was to just point out how serious concussions can be and if you or your DD or DS or one of your gymnasts falls on their head or hits their head, PLEASE get it checked out. Thanks!

A couple of years ago, a teen in the youth program I run got a concussion falling down the stairs and she had all kinds of crazy symptoms, for a long time, and even began to show symptoms of ADHD. It's definitely not something to be treated lightly. Thank you for the reminder!

my dad used to cycle race many years ago, before helmets. His last concussion at 24 led him to loose his sense of taste for 35 YEARS ! It eventually came back but took its time. The neurological damage can be very longstanding

Thanks for sharing your story!!! It's a good reminder to tell my DDs not to try tricks they are not ready for!

A few of my friends have permanent brain damage due to multiple severe concussions. Mind you that all of them have gotten these concussions from playing soccer but concussions are not something to take lightly. None of them can play any sports anymore which is devastating to active teenagers, they went from being AP students to struggling in school and one still cannot make it through a full day of school after her last concussion in August... Concussions are a scary thing.

I, myself, am no stranger to the world of concussions (18 at last count- none gymnastics related... and which might explain my ADHD, dyslexia, disgraphia, and discalculia- however mild). A few years ago, the eye doctor told me that I should be aware that, if half my field of vision suddenly goes black, I am to go to the ER and tell them that my retina has detached... please fix it.
Because of my history, I am very cautious with the the girls and all the gymnasts. If I see something, I speak up and suggest a Dr. visit may be in order.

I'm bumping this to share my story.

I suffered a concussion when I was a cheerleader. My concussion treatment lasted for about 8 months, and I had to undergo two types of therapies because my vision had been affected. I had trouble sleeping for months, could not go shopping for longer than about 15 minutes, and day-long headaches became the norm.

Even now, there are subtle hints of my past concussion. Although I can go shopping now, I do get light headed and have issues walking straight. And now that I read the OP, I actually think my short-term memory isn't as good anymore. (I've always had a really great memory and have been struggling without a clue as to why lately when it comes to remembering "what happened two days ago?")

This was my first and only concussion.. they aren't something to take lately.

Luckily our school district has a very strict protocol in handling concussions. My two older children suffered concussions. They had strict instructions from the doctor to stay home I think it was a week and then when they went back to school, they were not allowed to take tests, no homework, no sports at all, no computer games, no TV, just sleep and rest until all the symptoms are gone. They had permission to leave class early so they can take a leisurely walk to their next class. And then they had to do physical therapy for a couple of months and were monitored closely. I thought the procedure was unnecessarily overly cautious. But there seems to be justification for all of it.

The lasting effects of concussions can be a few weeks, months, years, decades, a lifetime or appear decades later. In some instances people exhibit symptoms similar to Parkinson's disease later in life (this was recently brought to light in the NFL/NCAA, which changed the game of football as we know it). It is now factual that people who return too quickly following a concussion and subsequently suffer another one are at high risk of serious brain damage, so when it comes to the brain, healing time is critical.

A few of my friends have permanent brain damage due to multiple severe concussions. Mind you that all of them have gotten these concussions from playing soccer but concussions are not something to take lightly. None of them can play any sports anymore which is devastating to active teenagers, they went from being AP students to struggling in school and one still cannot make it through a full day of school after her last concussion in August... Concussions are a scary thing.

Apparently, soccer has the highest incidence rate of sustaining concussions.

In rugby now if there is a chance of concussion the player must leave the field and be evaluated by an doctor before being allowed to return ( for our US friends Rugby is like American football, minus the protective padding;) )

In rugby now if there is a chance of concussion the player must leave the field and be evaluated by an doctor before being allowed to return ( for our US friends Rugby is like American football, minus the protective padding;) )

My husband played football and rugby in college. Indeed Iwannabemargo. Rugby in my opinion is a much tougher sport and (I may get grief for this) but requires more thought by the players than football. Just my opinion. I am sure many may disagree.

And I neglected to state soccer in girls sports has the highest incidence rate. My daughter plays soccer. I forgot men did too.:rolleyes:

Luckily our school district has a very strict protocol in handling concussions. My two older children suffered concussions. They had strict instructions from the doctor to stay home I think it was a week and then when they went back to school, they were not allowed to take tests, no homework, no sports at all, no computer games, no TV, just sleep and rest until all the symptoms are gone. They had permission to leave class early so they can take a leisurely walk to their next class. And then they had to do physical therapy for a couple of months and were monitored closely. I thought the procedure was unnecessarily overly cautious. But there seems to be justification for all of it.
I think many (if not all?) states/school districts now have very strict rules regarding concussions. To play any sport in our district/state at the HS level, the children need to take a concussion awareness course online before playing.

We know two girls who have sustained concussions from gymnastics...doing their regular stuff.....and one is still out 3 months later. Don't mess around with what you even think might be a concussion!!

We had a kid come to our boys' team after quitting high school football due to concussions. He was around for maybe 6 months before he got one in the gym (and, from what I hear, didn't tell anyone till the symptoms became bad). I don't know if he'll be back or not, but he's definitely not in the gym now. I think a concussion awareness course is a great idea. Kids need to know that this is not something to mess around with. I think, since it's not a broken appendage, it's something that kids, especially our tough-as-nails gymnasts, will think they can work through.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back