CPN or provincial route to national novice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello all. Does anyone have thoughts on which stream, CPN aspire/elite or level 8/9 provincial, would better prepare gymnasts to take the leap to national novice. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

I asked this question of DD's coaches a few weeks ago.

She competed Elite this year as a 9 year old, and I asked if they thought she'd be better competing it or L9 as a 10 year old.

Without hesitation they said CPN Elite. She will compete L9 in the US or invitationals at home, but Elite for he season.

Now I will add my thoughts: CPN Elite with full bonus can only JUST make the leap to novice unless they have a slew of extra skills "in their back pocket" so to speak. Virtually impossible from Aspire. And I'd hope that the Elite was doing actual vaults to prepare themselves, in addition to the other moves they don't require in Elite, like double backs (as bars dismount and tumbling), release moves, etc.

The above is especially true if the child has a desire to attempt HP Novice. I saw what those girls were doing at championships, and it's not your min. Novice requirements, that's for sure.

The only exception I'd make for the above is if you had a kid doing full on L9 complete with all bonus, and moves like front giants in their back pocket (different skill sets in the provincial stream) for their age 10 year.

Well if you look at some of the top Novices this year, there were many who never did the CPN stream. The went to Novice from the Provincial Stream. Also the girl who won Aspire at Eastern's in 2013 went to compete Novice this year and did okay (she was from Quebec).

So I don't necessarily think it is a cut and dry answer. I think that now it is easier to transition from any of the levels (9, Elite, possibly Aspire), since the changes were made last year. The new Aspire is basically old Elite, and Elite that much closer to Novice.

There are some very high level clubs in Ontario that do not compete the CPN at all. And they produce champions at all levels.

You also see girls who did aspire/elite move back to provincial 9 who aren't quite ready to make that move to Novice.

Then there's my dd who was basically off most of last year with injuries, who was Aspire the year before, trying to get to Novice this coming year. Whether she can or not we will see. If not she will most likely be level 9. But it really all depends on so many factors. There is also a WIDE range of skills at the Novice level.

I'm interested to see what folks have to say who are from other provinces.

I'm just happy to see a new thread in our Canada group!

There is also a WIDE range of skills at the Novice level.

This is so true.

And certainly being in the CPN program (Aspire or Elite) doesn't guarantee you can make it to Novice. But Novice is also a two year program, and doesn't require you to compete until the end of the year. So you could forego early competitions to continue training to prepare yourself for the end of the year. I know there are girls who competed L9 as an 11 year old, then switch to Novice as a 12 year old as they need that extra year.

In Quebec girls switch in and out of the National program to the provincial program a lot. I think the fact that our National meets are held at different times than the provincial ones adds more challenges to gyms, costs, time etc etc.

I think both paths work with excellent coaching, as Canadiangymmom states we see great results from both paths.

It all depends on the kid, as I coach I like the CPN program, but far too often I see kids competing in it that would be better suited for the provincial program, not to say that they are not talented or going to make National but they are not meeting requirements yet.
The National Novice winner at Nationals this year went through CPN aspire and elite.

My daughter placed 4th at Provincials in CPN elite last year. The girls who placed 1st and 3rd - went level 9 this year and the girls who placed 2nd and 4th went novice. My daughter being one of them.

It was a significant challenge for her to be ready with minimums for the first qualifier in December and she actually was not. She only completed bars and beam and even then she had minimums on bars. Great start value on beam.
Our coaches made a decision knowing how my daughter trains that they would not push her to compete until March when we went to Gymnix and then they decided in late January she would compete in the USA Level 10. She was not ready for 10 but they didn't want to remove any of her skills and wanted it as a test meet. She did great. They knew by championships she would have the necessary skills and she did. The goal was to go to Nationals....and she achieved that. She did not compete HPP and again I think that is a strategy on our club. She would not have done well at all against all the HPP at Nationals as she did not show her best. She did fantastic at Gymnix where she competed against all the HPP girls.

I also think those girls who did L9 this year was a variety of things. 1. either they didn't have the skills or 2. it was a strategic move on the coaches part - as the gymnast had all her L9 skills and they used the year to build up her novice skills. I guess we will see this year coming.

I think its totally possible coming from either provincial or CPN to do Novice. It really all depends on what skills they have and what skills they get over the summer months.

You can see the variety of start values on each apparatus. If you have minimum start values you will score poorly. The girls this year had unbelievable start values.

For us this year. I want the goal to be - better prepare her for juniors. Continue on the path for her HPP this year but also start those skills that she needs as a junior.

Good luck with whatever path you take.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back