Parents Crazy gym mom or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Although this isn't the same situation, my dd's level had a lot of unhappy parents earlier in the season. There were some coaching changes that happened and some general gym changes going on and there was a definite feeling of her level being ignored or written off by the gym. Parents were complaining more and more to each other, no one was responding to our concerns and it was just a very tense time. Finally, the team mom sent an email to several people at the gym outlining the issues and requesting a meeting. So one of the main coaches sat down with all the parents and finally just talked to us. He explained what was happening with the coaching situation, reassured us that our kids did matter to the gym and that they did have a plan for them, apologized for not communicating with us better and then opened himself up for questions and complaints. And there were quite a few of them, especially the complaints! I am sure it wasn't a meeting that he really wanted to have, but it did so much to reassure us that it really turned around the whole atmosphere of the team. Parents have stopped complaining. the kids are getting the coaching they need and everyone seems happier.

If you and other moms felt that your DD's group is pretty much the "reject" group, the group that gets cast to the side. Would you express your concerns to the HC or just let it go in fear of becoming that crazy gym mom?

Just because the other group is better, does that have to mean your daughter and her group are "rejects?" There is always a faster moving and slower moving group in gymnastics, based on the talent and work ethic of the kids in the group. It's not something the coach creates, it's something the coach responds to when they see how fast the kids learn/advance. When you see that some are moving faster, you put them in a group with other fast moving kids. Your daughter is in the group that moves at her pace. I'm not sure what talking to the HC would accomplish. In some cases, a coach will cave in to a parent's request for their child to be in a different group, which is never in the best interest of the gymnast. I wouldn't want that for my child.

The last major squabble we had at our gym over this centered around a handful of young gymnasts who had not yet competed. All had the same skill set at the time of the drama. Only because it helped with numbers, I allowed the one slower moving gymnast to train with the others (per mother's request). 3 years later, she is competing 4 levels below the other 5 gymnasts. They are all the same age, started with the same skills and came out of the same pre-team. She needed to start at L3, the others started at L4. She is needing to repeat levels, the others tested out/skipped levels. Mom finally got why she was initially not considered for the faster moving group and was okay with her switching back. She is in no way considered a reject at our gym. I consider her typical and doing well. The problem is, nobody ever compares their kid to typical, they only compare them to the rising stars of the gym and choose to see them in a negative light.

My DD mentioned once that her group is "the rest of you". This drove me NUTS.
I didn't say anything..
Story: after a group of L4 girls scored out of L5 last april, HC explained that all of the L4 girls would be invited to be optionals - whether it be XG or L6/7. So from then on out, they were all considered "optionals". I mean, they ALL had to buy the sparkly leo, pick music, pay for choreography...
Now, understandably they were split into two training groups during the summer because there were so many of them.

Two coaches insisted on saying "Optionals over here, the rest of you over there".

DD wasn't really bothered by it, but I was fuming inside, a la CGM. I wanted to run and scream "WTF??". I didn't.

On another occasion I did have a meeting with the HC, and had the opportunity to "joke" about it, and HC said "I've heard that. I've corrected them. They aren't used to L6's. It should be Levels 4-6 over here, 7-10 over there. That's what I say".
She said it really nicely, and for a moment I felt like crap for bringing it up, even joking. (but one tiny part of me was secretly happy that I pointed out how it sounded when DD called herself "Hi, I'm a restofya")

Although, the vest is to cover up the shirt that has lunch stains on it from a messy toddler, and the boots are warm and cozy. If I don't wear makeup and my hair is in a sloppy ponytail, does that mean I'm only half-CGM?

No you can't be half. You're either full or not. I deem you not! If you're covering lunch stains then you're not self-important enough to qualify for the distinction of CGM.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back