Crazy things that have happened to you/your dd/your team during competitions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just post anything funny, crazy, or just weird that happened during a competition!

I wasn't there to witness it, but apparently at a level 4 competition, a gymnast on our team had a loose tooth and it just fell right out during her floor routine. She finished the routine, grabbed the tooth, and walked off the floor :p

Someone on my team once did a front hip circle instead of a back hip circle on the high bar during practice, but not in competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, pretty much the same, during beam my team mate lost her tooth but she kept it in her mouth until the end.

My other friend, at state didn't make her swing pullover (this was years ago) and was on the big screen at the time

and...........my other team mate farted during warmup :p

this just happened today (not really funny but makes you go ouch lol) so a skater boy came into gym today just to do some flips into the pit!! he did one but didnt do an open tuck and his knee hit his chin and his bottom tooth went through his lip all the way blood was going everywhere ewwwy lol

this just happened today (not really funny but makes you go ouch lol) so a skater boy came into gym today just to do some flips into the pit!! he did one but didnt do an open tuck and his knee hit his chin and his bottom tooth went through his lip all the way blood was going everywhere ewwwy lol
That is why backflips are for gymnasts and kickflips are for skateboarders and the two shouldn't mix.

i agree but all gyms open their centre up to get kids involved in the sport!! and he was doing a front flip :) there is nothing wrong with a skater or anyone for the matter doing a flip!! im a gymnast and i never even got told that i had to keep my knees apart so..... what you wrote sounded very rude but i know it wasn't ;)

didn't mean for it to sound rude it was meant to be funny i guess doing it into a pit was safer than chucking it outside the gym :)

Sorry but unless you have been trained I don't care if it is open gym you should not chuck flips into the pit or anywhere, the injury obviously shows what can happen if you do so. End of hijack. I don't have much to add, I have seen girls forget their routines completly, or do the wrong routine. One of my gyms coaches was at a trampoline meet where a guy flew off the trampoline, missing the mat completly and landed on the judges table.

Reason: Removed the gross bit. :/ Really!
Do you have to be snarky about it? :/ Really!

I don't really mind my posts being edited (much). In fact, I suspected that particular post might be edited. I just would rather not be given flak about it.

Last edited:
Snarky is not quite what I could call it, but feel free to take it anyway you like.

If you thought it might be edited out why did you bother posting it, really???

Once I saw a very young level 4 get up on the beam and start her routine facing the wrong way. After the snap turn she was about to go for the leap but realized there was only like half a foot of beam in front of her. She stood there for the longest time...just staring at the beam, had no idea what to do...probably a full minute until the coach told her "Just do a pivot turn." and then she resumed her routine. Probably they were hoping she would figure it out on her own so she wouldn't take the coaching deduction...but...

One of my friends got disoriented doing the level 6 beam dismount and somehow landed on her knees on the mat. Huh?! She also has bad knees so it wasn't easy to recover from...

Once at a L7 meet I was flashing scores at, a girl completely missed the vault table, doing a layout over it instead of a handspring. It's a good thing we get two vaults...!

I have a "little buddy" in a low level. She didn't have her baby giant which was required, so our coach told her just to go for it. she jumped to the high bar, did a big swing not even trying for a baby giant, swung until she stopped swinging, and did a chinup pullover. It was pretty funny :)

Our gym was hosting a meet and one little girl peed in the middle of her floor routine. I felt sorry for the girl, but laughed at the ferocity of the scrubbing of the coach to get the pee out of the new rug on the floor.

This was the beginning of her back tumbling issues. DD was 7 years old, level 4 and doing her floor routine. She landed her RO funny and there was no way she was going to be able to make the BHS. She didn't have the maturity to know not throw it so she tried. Well her hands never touched the floor and she landed on her head. She started crying, stood up and saluted the judge and walked off the floor. It took her a good 5 minutes to calm down.

The fear kicked in and at the next meet the coach was going to spot her ROBHS. That part of the routine came up and the coach didn't run out on the floor. DD just stood there staring at the coach and didn't know what to do. The music ended so she ran and did a RO and then saluted the judge.

That ROBHS skill has come and gone so many times it's like a revolving door for her so we never know what she will do.

My DD was at a level 5 meet, and they had the vault set up so wierd. First, the vault run started literally outside the gym in the parking lot! Then, the landing area was part of a foam pit, with mats on top. No one could keep their balance while landing their vault, because it was such a wobbly surface.

MamaofEnS

My DD was at a level 5 meet, and they had the vault set up so wierd. First, the vault run started literally outside the gym in the parking lot! Then, the landing area was part of a foam pit, with mats on top. No one could keep their balance while landing their vault, because it was such a wobbly surface.

MamaofEnS

We've been to meets like that - and it makes me a bit angry:mad: If a gym does not have decent facilities for a meet, then they should not host a meet!! Dd went to one where she started her vault run in a closet, and the runway still was not long enough for her and several team-mates. To top it off the vault table wasn't stable either. After two of her team-mates injured themselves on their yurchenko layouts, dd backed her vault down to a tuck.

I argee gymjoy! If you do not have good facilities for a meet you shouldnt host one. Or you should host it at a local basketball gym or somewhere were everything can be layed out correctly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back