Criteria for choosing kids

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

H

hank123

just wanting to start a casual discussion on what criteria coaches out there use when chosing brand new kids to be part of the the pre team or team at your club?

does head coach need to approve all choices or is it the individual coach who will be coaching the group that gets to choose?

Both the head coach and owner decide with input from the kids current coach. We compete level 2 (yeah like I said before stupid IMO) so there are not a lot of constraints, basically if you want to, your parents don't mind the added tuition, meet fees and leo and you can do basic USAG level 1 skills (same skills we teach our preschool class) then you are in.

Our owner and head coach are the same person, and she's in charge of all such decisions, though the other coaches do contribute opinions, rankings etc. I don't know the details of how they choose, but I know there are numbers restrictions (group size of team) so only a certain number of slots open up each year/term. The letter that was given to rec kids before the summer trials that my DDs first did described some of the things they were looking for, two of them being strength and flexibility, but skills weren't that important - those can be taught once they join the team. Lack of skills does slow down the new team member's progression to a point, though, so it's an advantage to come to team from a strong rec class where you were already doing some L2 or 3 skills. e.g. my DD who's on team started team at L3, but some of the other team members who joined with her had to start at L2. The HC may also decide to start a gymnast off at a lower level than what their skills would indicate because their form is poor and she feels that they need that extra year to gain that form (tightness etc.) - that happened to DDs best friend - she went to try-outs the year after DD and got put in the level below because, although her skills would quickly catch up to DD's group, her form hadn't had the year's work that DD's group had had (more hours in the gym, conditioning etc.). She was borderline then, and she has done well and improved her form, and may get bumped up soon.

Last edited:
Rec and preschool coaches can put a kids name if they think they would be good for developmental classes or team. We have two rec/preschool/developmental directors. They watch the kids who get recommended by their coaches. They then choose the kids and what group they should join, (which pre team level).

Our criteria for preschoolers is different from rec (5+) kids. Preschoolers we look for good listening skills, ability to correct things when asked and strength. Flexibility is a plus but at that age we dont do too many flex skills. Rec we look for the same things listening, strength, and taking and fixing corrections, however we do take into consideration current skills.
If a brand new kid say age 8 walks in the gym and can do 10 chin ups but cant hit a handstand we probably will keep an eye on their progress but not put them on team track right away. However if that same kid is 4, they are going on the team track.

Artistic: Did they get all the skills for L1-3? Are they able to work hard? Cool, welcome to preteam.

T&T: Do they have good shapes? Are they willing to bounce? Can they do a front tuck and a spotted back tuck and a spotted back handspring? Will they work hard? Cool, welcome to preteam.

We like to keep the option open for everyone.

Well what happens is we have a system where in rec classes they have a levels progression of the planets once you have got through all the planets you go to level 1. However you can approach the coach and ask to be put into levels if she can prove that she can do the skills necessary. In my case i went and did an assessment (which i then tore my ligament on) and then went into a snr rec class instead of lvl 2 after about 6 weeks of that the coach approached me and asked if i would rather compete as apparently my training ethic was more of a competitive approach i.e. concentrating on form and stuff. I then went straight to the office and signed up. Now our coach is "recruiting" lower levels to train up to her standard.

Well here you start competing at age 8 in year, our 'pre-team' is for gymnasts aged between 5 and 7. Usually at 6 1/2 - 7 they enter our squad, but it depends on physical and mental maturity and skill level.

There are 2 head coaches at my gym - myself and one other. We are both in charge of our women's artistic squad and I am in charge of the pre-team also. One of our pre-team's training sessions is the same time as our beginners rec group - and the other coach and I are both in attendance. We both begin spotting talent on day one - looking for things like posture, good listening, who can make corrections, who has good balance, agility and co-ordination etc. As the weeks go by, we start looking at how fast a learner they are, strength, flexibility etc. We usually send letters for a trial out after they have completed 1 term. The trial is held over a 3 month period, so that we can get a really good idea of whether the gymnast enjoys it, and if they are right for the squad/the squad is right for them.
I must say that I'd like to be slightly more picky! However, we also take into consideration gymnasts who approach us and ask whether they could be part of the pre-team - If they have the desire to learn, who knows, they may end up better than a gymnast who is super talented but has no desire!

It's a pretty disorganized and not so scientific system where I am. If the girls in rec. classes show potential- listen and follow directions well, good attention span for their age, good work ethic, can make corrections, pick up skills relatively quickly, and can do the basic level 2/3 skills- they are invited to the pre-team group. If they stick around in the pre-team group and pick up the skills needed for level 4, they are invited to compete.
Most of the girls coaches work with all of the rec girls, so it's pretty easy to keep tabs on everyone. If a coach sees potential in one they will typically mention it to the other coaches for their input, but nothing too complicated.

Coaches give names to either HC (me) or the developmental director from their classes- then one of us evaluates them. We have a checklist of strength & flexibility, and we also look at their run & jump (coordination) and try to put them in a slightly fearful situation (pit bar for casting, or high beam, etc) to see their fear level. We also talk to the coaches about their listening skills, and if they can follow directions. We also look at their body type. Today I had 2 make ups in my class-both very strong, flexible & coordinated- one didn't have the best body but was a very good listener and made verbal corrections. One was skinny and had a naturally musclular build but did not listen at all and was crazy- kept trying to climb up on everything high and jump off... I only recommended the kid who could listen & follow directions to preteam! We also do a team tryout in the spring (for our prep opt & compulsory program)- and look at everything on the above list, but also add some basic skills.

I get names and class times from the preschool coaches. Then I show up and watch from afar. If I like what I see I pull them aside and check their straight jumps, splits, bridge, arm strength, leg alignment, and ability to fall backwards without turning their heads. If they have fears or lack of focus I put them in my preschool class that I use as a potential developmental pool. If they blow me away I put them in the developmental group. What blows me away is usually an articulate child that will ask questions if they don't understand anything I ask them. Ones that will plop into a split, or bust out chin ups and can have a conversation through it are memorable too. It's directly through me, but if I'm on the fence about someone then I definitely ask other coaches what they think.

Our senior coaches often watch rec classes as they are often in the gym at the same time. In addition, we have a 'to watch' list of current rec gymnasts who are showing potential but are not old enough or not ready to move to a developmental class. There is a developmental group for our competitive squad (age 5-7) and one for our 2 piece floor and vault squad (a low hours/cost option here, like prep op or JOGA or MDL).
The potential we look for is coordination, basic strength, concentrationa and interest, and body awareness (mainly straight legs in very basic skills). In the development groups you are guaranteed for the year unless it is obvious to parents, coaches and gymnast that this is not the best group for them. We review every year with parents and usually move to competition at 6 1/2-7, although recently we've had several slightly older gymnasts move to 4 piece from the 2 piece group.

In my homeclub (I compete for two different clubs it dependes on where I'm competing and for who) we start competing at the age of 4-5. What coaches watch for are flexibility, hand-eye coordination, natural graze and strengh. Maybe it'd sound strange but a Rhtyhmic Gymnast also needs a lot of strengh, no the same type as the artistic but strengh at the ende.
And I'm my other club that offers both, Artistic and Rhythmic is for preschool gymnastics and rec they do both sports and it's after when the choose between one sport or the another. That is coach's decision but also involve gymnast's opinion. But if a 8 or 9 year old enters although her habilites (we only have WAG and RG, just girl :)) she's free to choose whatever she wants. They mainly look for strengh, aim to work and flexibility.
Because when competing there are different levels, not only of skill level but also age separation so almost anyone is competing.

Well here you start competing at age 8 in year, our 'pre-team' is for gymnasts aged between 5 and 7. Usually at 6 1/2 - 7 they enter our squad, but it depends on physical and mental maturity and skill level.

There are 2 head coaches at my gym - myself and one other. We are both in charge of our women's artistic squad and I am in charge of the pre-team also. One of our pre-team's training sessions is the same time as our beginners rec group - and the other coach and I are both in attendance. We both begin spotting talent on day one - looking for things like posture, good listening, who can make corrections, who has good balance, agility and co-ordination etc. As the weeks go by, we start looking at how fast a learner they are, strength, flexibility etc. We usually send letters for a trial out after they have completed 1 term. The trial is held over a 3 month period, so that we can get a really good idea of whether the gymnast enjoys it, and if they are right for the squad/the squad is right for them.
I must say that I'd like to be slightly more picky! However, we also take into consideration gymnasts who approach us and ask whether they could be part of the pre-team - If they have the desire to learn, who knows, they may end up better than a gymnast who is super talented but has no desire!

My club works similarly to this but 1 problem we have is (maybe we are being too nice) we invite kids up for a trial but more often than not we don't say no, we just let them continue on. How do you manage to stress to the parents that it's a trial and let them down easily?

My club works similarly to this but 1 problem we have is (maybe we are being too nice) we invite kids up for a trial but more often than not we don't say no, we just let them continue on. How do you manage to stress to the parents that it's a trial and let them down easily?

We're in a similar situation actually - but we've put certain things into place which make it a little easier:

1) The initial trial invitation letter states clearly that THIS IS A TRIAL. At the end of the trial, each gymnast will be assessed individually. Some will remain in the 'pre-team', Some will return to rec and others may enter one of our competitive groups straight away - all dependent upon age, physical and mental maturity, skill level and commitment level.
2) We have 2 different competitive paths - some gymnasts may not be right for competitive gymnastics but are too talented to remain in rec, so we have a novice squad who do floor and vault competitions and some 4 piece comps. They only train twice a week.
3) Each month we send home 'reports' and we regularly talk to parents at the end of the classes to tell them how their child is getting on and honestly where we see them going.
4) In 'pre-team' although it is important for the gymnasts to be having fun, we are also quite tough on the gymnasts - they have to do quite a lot of conditioning and stretching and they have to be good at making corrections - A lot of the gymnasts who aren't going to make it into the squad actually decide they don't want to remain in the pre-team anyway and often ask to move back to rec - Luckily our rec programme is fun and varied and they'd rather return to that than leave altogether (Risky I know, but seems to work for us!)

Basically while they are in our pre-team they are constantly monitored.
As I said in my first post, I'd like to start being more picky. Out of a group of 6 trialists at the moment, I think 2 will make it into the squad - probably in Jan 2012, the rest will probably go to the novice squad, but the start age for them is a little older, so they'd remain in the pre-team until they are almost 8!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back