WAG Cruise or gym? Fast decision.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In my many years of reading chalkbucket, I can't recall any request for advice that was so completely unanimous, but I fully agree - go on the cruise and enjoy!

I know! There are many posts here in chalkbucket on taking weeklong vacations, mid-season at L9. And most if not all are against it. Curious to hear what dunno says about this.;)

I know! There are many posts here in chalkbucket on taking weeklong vacations, mid-season at L9. And most if not all are against it. Curious to hear what dunno says about this.;)

I think part of the reason for the unanimous support for the cruise is that the OP knows exactly where she stands with her gymnastics...primarily a HS gymnast who enjoys it, no D1 or college plans for it (that I recall) ; doesn't think regionals or nationals are realistic in her JO world...so I can't think of a reason NOT to go!!

I think part of the reason for the unanimous support for the cruise is that the OP knows exactly where she stands with her gymnastics...primarily a HS gymnast who enjoys it, no D1 or college plans for it (that I recall) ; doesn't think regionals or nationals are realistic in her JO world...so I can't think of a reason NOT to go!!

Clearly, that is the reason for the overwhelming support. That is also why I fully supported going to the cruise. However, I also wondered how many of those other posts that did not get support for the vacation have realistic goals of D1 gymnastics or marking it to nationals. In addition, the OP did indicate, she did not want to lose her skills and I also wondered how important it was to the OP to do well in her last year(s) doing gymnastics or if her goals may change. But clearly, I feel the overwhelming support for the cruise is justified under the circumstances and clear goals and expectations of the OP got her more appropriate and accurate responses.

Are you one of the Fab 5? If yes, get to gym and represent your country!! ;) If not, go on that darn cruise, and enjoy your family while you can!! We are all here for a very short time, so take advantage of this great opportunity. Have fun and send pics. ;)

Well my answer would be different if she asked should she plan a vacation for that time, which is more what some if those other posts were like. But what's done is done here.

Pretty sure you've already decided ( :) ) but just adding one more two cents anyway...

Where I live, it's a rule in high school gymnastics that you have to go to at least one practice the week of the meet...there are plenty of girls on my team who are also active club gymnasts and can only go to one practice at the most, and sometimes have to skip club to get in one high school practice to be able to compete. It has been a problem with many girls on my team for the last few weeks, and I was thinking back to this post, where I was thinking I would have a really hard decision if I were you, I would totally want to go on the cruise but I wouldn't want to not be able to compete in my last high school district meet...

But then I re-read this post and I realized that's not what it said....it said you have "only" one week of practice left before high school districts after the cruise! Don't know if the one practice a week thing pertains to where you live, but in this case, definitely, definitely go on the cruise! One week of practice left before a district meet in high school would be considered a lot where I live, considering that many of the girls on my team can only come to one practice a week anyway. As long as I was eligible to compete in high school districts, I wouldn't think twice about this decision!

Hope you've decided to go on the cruise, have a fabulous time, I am so jealous that you get to go on a Disney cruise!! And good luck with your high school season!

Well since everybody gave their two cents I guess I should be considerate and post back. I made the decision to not go. Even both my high school and club coaches were fine with me going. But I've been in gymnastics for most of my life and even though I haven't lived in a place with a great club until recently, gymnastics means so much to me. I want to finish out strong. I'm only going to be a gymnast for a few more months and I have my whole life to relax and go on cruises and such, right? :) I might not be a level 10 but I don't want to have any excuses or regrets when I'm done with this. Thanks everybody for the advice, but I'm going to follow my heart on this one..and right now gymnastics is where my heart is.

Totally respect your decision. You seem like a very mature young woman. I know you said you aren't doing NCAA gymnastics in college, but you may want to see if your college has an gymnastics club (NAIGC, I think) that you could participate in.

Totally respect your decision. You seem like a very mature young woman. I know you said you aren't doing NCAA gymnastics in college, but you may want to see if your college has an gymnastics club (NAIGC, I think) that you could participate in.
I think I'll be ready to be done with competing when I finish this season. I took my 4/5 judging test last summer and just passed my 7/8 test in December. I applied to coach at IGC this summer and am applying for a few different gyms up where I'm going to college. Sad to move on from being a gymnast but so excited that I'm going to get to coach and judge! Mostly coach but I figured judging will help somewhere along the way. I don't have it all planned out at 17 years old..but I know I'm going to get to give back to this sport what it's done for me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back