Anon Division 3 gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (48ed)

Does anybody know if I have a shot at Division 3 in college? I'm currently Usaigc silver and i'll be switching to Xcel diamond next comp szn. I currently have a back full on floor, a front full, a tsuk pike on vault, Ive done a punch front 1 1/2 on floor before but I plan on working it more this summer so its more consistent and so I could maybe add a back layout step out to it. I've also done a front tuck step out ro hs full before. my beam is quite low I have recently just got my backtuck on beam and I basically have a bhs on beam I'm just a little scared to move it, but I compete roundoff rn. my bars is also low I don't have my giants rn (I'm working them rn) but I have a handstand piourette and I'll be working paks in the summer when I go to gymnastics sleepaway camp. I've also done a double back off bars onto a mat into put but it was from a kip push away (I'm aware that I have no shot on beam or bars) but is there a chance with my floor and a vault? I'm currently a sophomore in high school and my grad year is 2026. If I stay in Xcel up to my senior year I would be Xcel sapphire my senior year.

D3 college coaches look for routines with a 10.0 SV which is why most D3 athletes are former L10 (L10 skills = skills that make 10.0 SV in NCAA). Most L9 or high level Xcel just don't have the skill set to create these routines. There are exceptions of course but it's important to understand what this really means. The former L9 or Xcel athletes on D3 rosters will typically be a 'stand out' in one or two events meaning they have a 10.0 SV or have very clean routines with minimal deductions. There are some schools that have former Xcel on roster and my advice is to ask yourself why this is (ie, is it a new program that will be able to beef up recruiting in the next couple of year? or is there something else about the program where the coach can't attract higher caliber athletes?).

Right now your skill set will not be viewed favorably by D3 coaches. I know you said you still have 2 more years - and I'm sure you will learn a lot in those two years - but coaches will be looking at your results from your Jr year/the summer into your Sr year so that's less time than you may be thinking to get to a 10.0SV.

Club gymnastics is another option to consider. Or Acro & Tumbling since floor is one of your strengths (D1-D3).

Id say if by the end of this summer or closer towards beginning - middle of next season can at least get a

tsuk layout/tusk tuck full
front 1.5 to layout step out
back 1.5 to front salto

You may have a shot at a newer or not super highly ranked school in D3

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back