do trampolines help gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

not if it's in your backyard. i'm with your mom and dad on this one.;)

Hey! I say yes! They can be a bit pricey, but it is worth it, and it will last a long time!! They are great for when friends come over too. I think they help gymnastics because of the bounce it's easier to get power. Once it's easy on the tramp go for the floor! You will know know the right body positions and stuff (with help at first-of course)

Plus it's just plain fun! Ask your parent to get it on your birthday or something

:D

They won't help with gymnastics, but they will help you try skills you might not be ready to do yet. Spend the trampoline money on gym and that will help you improve faster.

We do have a trampoline, but the kids have lots of rules on it, their necks are too valuable!

Home trampolines are for fun. We had one and my girls had many fun days on it. Home trampolines are not for gymnastics , it could make you a gymnast with bad form or scared of skills.One of my daughters got over tumbling problems after we got rid of it.:)

I convinced my grandma and grandpa to get me and my cousin a trampoline, and the only reason my mom and dad won't let me get one in our yard is because of insurance policies. The trampoline has helped me get better at skills I already do at gymnastics. I would tell your parents that you won't do anything that you don't do at gym, and what you are confident with. Oh, and say that you will get a trampoline with a net too, you don't want to fly off the trampoline, even if you are just jumping on it!

I got one for my daughter and it helped on some things...there need to be ground rules for them. She practices jumps on the tramp with weights on her legs and that seems to have helped with her jumps.... When she wanted to do front and back tucks, I made her show her coach at the gym to make sure her form was correct. It would be too easy to develop bad habits that the coaches would have to deprogram later!

I find that anything at all that my DD does outside of gym is bad form. e.g. when she and her friends are just cartwheeling for fun, their toes aren't pointed and their legs aren't straight. They practice their kickovers and all sorts of things with bad form, and their muscles remember that! Then when they are at gym they have to struggle to remember to do things correctly, and they get lazy and only do things properly when the coach is actually watching them. I imagine that trampolines can encourage that sort of bad form as well unless there is active coaching going on. We do have a tramp at home, but the kids use it for fun - they don't do any gymnastics on it except for occasional star, tuck, pike and straddle jumps, and maybe seat drops.

I personally don't think having a tramp at home would benefit your gymnastics directly just because its so much easier to just try to chuck something and have horrible form with the chance of getting g hurt. However I do think they would be good for working on jumps and leaps. Plus they're fun to just bounce around d on, like doing seat drops and what not

I think getting a trampoline is a good idea because you can practice good form on basic skills. Most of the time I just do standing back tucks and arabians, front tucks, bhs, fhs, onodis, and jumps. But I have to admit I do chuck skills on there sometimes. I've tried double fronts a few times:rolleyes: But it really can be beneficial for practicing basics and good form..

I think getting a trampoline is a good idea because you can practice good form on basic skills. Most of the time I just do standing back tucks and arabians, front tucks, bhs, fhs, onodis, and jumps. But I have to admit I do chuck skills on there sometimes. I've tried double fronts a few times:rolleyes: But it really can be beneficial for practicing basics and good form..

Really conflicting statement. You are advocating getting a trampoline to use to "basic" skills but also stating that you yourself have "chucked" hard skills from time to time. Do as I say not as I do ;)

The problem is this is exactly what 99.9999% of people will do. It is just too tempting. Also the parents that think they have it under control have no idea, unless you are watching the entire time your kid jumps on it then locking it away when you are not around you can bet your kid has "chucked" some things.

Overall not a good idea, I don't think any home equiptment is a good idea but of all the things you could have this is about the worst. The other problem is most insurance companies do not allow it and neighborhood children will always make their way to it and if one of them gets hurt the homeowner can be liable.

I was faced with this issue today because DH was looking for a trampoline for DD. Why he is battling crowds today after a 24 hr. shift is beyond me. I get a call from him to check the sale ad on the computer for it. But that is anothor post.
Anyway, he wants to get one because she is constantly jumping all over the place at home. But I am very leary. I don't even like her using the tramp at the gym now. Recently, I witnessed a high school cheerleader come down on her wrist and break it. DD saw it along with her teammates. Yet that did not deter them. Does anybody else have gymmies who see this kind of thing and still throw caution to the wind and keep going? I'm partly glad she didn't get scared, but then it also confirms that she would get a little 'wild' on the tramp.
I have read that parents set ground rules, but come on kids will be kids. I am known as a very strict teacher and parent, and still my own kids 'try' to test me. If any parent is out there with a daring gymmie, please tell me if this 'tramp' idea worked for you. This kid has to stop doing gym at home!

Personally I think they are unsafe. My level 5 teammate hurt herself so many times on it, trying skills that were too hard for her as a level 5. My coach did want me to get one to learn my full on when I was a level 7, but I never learned it on the trampoline, and I'm close to my double full now. Honestly, I can't do many skills on the trampoline and i'm a level 9

They probably say yes if you are smart enough to keep yourself away from unecessary injuries.

As a parent, I bought my child a trampoline but not for gymnastics. She does do some back handsprings and back/front tucks on it but mostly she just jumps and jumps. I bought it for exercise and energy burnoff. It's been wonderful for that.

She loves it and I'm glad I bought it for that purpose. She has a safety net and there is a set of rules that must be followed. We also like to lie on it on summer nights and watch stars, fireflies, etc and just lie there and talk. That's my favorite use of it.

So I say yes for exercise and leaps but no if you'll be tempted to throw tricks you shouldn't be throwing.

I have a trampoline, but it's not like one of those huge gym trampolines that throw you 20 ft. in the air, it is bouncy, just not super bouncy.

I've used it to practice jumps and turning jumps, shushonovas, and yes, I have done flips and twists. I actually think that it is helpful and really fun.

To be honest, when I'm on the trampoline, I really don't want to think about "training" certain skills, I just want to have fun. Fun for me means doing front layouts and attempting standing back flips and layout step outs there, but that's it.

I think that if you are going to use your trampoline for fun and not primarily gymnastics, I would think it is fine.

Oh and by the way, GET A NET. It is more money but COMPLETELY worth it. I can't even tell you how many times I have almost run off the edge in just a front flip.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back