Do you think there's an "elite personality'?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wanted to broaden the discernment of this post so that you will read into it the intent of its author.

When a child develops faith in themselves it is exhilarating to watch that child overcome the challenges that had beset them. Even fear.

The joy of accomplishment is shared among all witnesses including coaches, teammates, parents, spectators, etc., because vicariously we are all inspired. We live for that. We are moved by the wonder of our children persevering, adapting, and overcoming in order to receive a deserved payoff of success. If they can do it then anything seems possible. The exuberant and passionate expression of happiness that bursts forth with a child's spontaneity is a reflection of the triggered emotion in our own hearts.

We all see and notice your child's progress in a chorus of adulation. It makes us happy and is a privilege to share in their achievements. Thank you parents for sharing your children. Through their accomplishments we experience success for ourselves. Day by day it is a high that feeds our spirits forever.

By saying that an elite was an elite all along then I am calling every child that perseveres, adapts, and overcomes their obstacles, an elite athlete. I'm saying that all gymnasts go through the same process whether they reach the pinnacle or not. I'm saying that an elite effort is required from everyone climbing the mountain because its just as steep at the bottom as it is at the top.

Nice post Trip, very insightful & thoughful, yet not complicated.

Aww Stretch I love that! The mountain is just as steep at the bottom as it is at the top. Nicely put.

By saying that an elite was an elite all along then I am calling every child that perseveres, adapts, and overcomes their obstacles, an elite athlete. I'm saying that all gymnasts go through the same process whether they reach the pinnacle or not. I'm saying that an elite effort is required from everyone climbing the mountain because its just as steep at the bottom as it is at the top.

WoW!! That is very insightful and well said!

MY job is to make sure my child has a well rounded life. She loves this sport. But I don't want it to define her life. So, those posters that imply that some of us CB members are jealous of those kids that have elite dream isn't necessariliy true. Some of us have made the decision for our kids that they will NOT train elite even it is what they said they wanted.

You sound like my mother in law. She was a big believer that if her daughter really wanted to go the elite route she could do it after her eighteenth birthday. In fairness to her after her daughter had done several years of L10 and gone to nationals [and a different training opportunity that had not been available when she was younger appeared] she did give her the option of switching gyms. Perhaps because the timing was off [there were several crises in the extended family], perhaps because of loyalty to her coaches and teammates, or perhaps because she really kind of liked having more of a life outside of the gym she stayed at her original gym. She just started her freshman year of college and is hopefully adapting to the world of D1 college gymnastics.

Our daughter is a only ten and should compete L8 this winter. I think we'd like to take a page out of my MIL's book.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back