Do you think there's an "elite personality'?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

Future Elite Mom

Do you think that elite gymnasts have a certain personality type that you can see from a young age? It seems like they are different from other kids. I know my DD is way more focused and serious than other kids, and she doesn't mind spending her hours in the gym and then doing extra TOPS training and private lessons. She knows it will get us closer to our goal of going Elite. Most kids couldn't handle what she does. I know that. There's just something special about her, and I think that maybe there is a certain personality type that is cut out to be an elite athlete. What do you think?

How old is your daughter? I do think that there is a certain predisposed temperment that elite athletes display at an early age. In my opinion it takes a focused, determined, easy going, driven child to reach elite. But I in no way think that if a gymnast has all this will she or he reach elite. The child has to actually WANT to do it for themselves, not just to please someone else. Desire for oneself is the key in reaching elite. Kids are savy. They know whether we like it or not who is pushing for the dream.

I do believe there are certain personality types that are better suited to achieving at a high level in sports. I think you need to be driven, but also calm and resilient. You need a high level of confidence and faith in yourself. Even with the right personality, I suspect some kids are going to burn out or lose interest at some point.

I'm pretty sure my DDs don't have the right temperaments. I'm just very pleased and proud of my 7 yr-old DD being invited into the competitive team and everything she manages to achieve there. I'm hoping she will stick with it for at least a few years, I think the discipline of working at something is a good life lesson for her. But I wouldn't push her to continue if she decided she wasn't enjoying it any more.

just a reminder of an earlier post. may be useful here. 1 in 4.5 million births to net 1 olympian. that statistic is when we had a 7 member team.

I think it is probally a combination of things like parental support talent and determination. But you never know cause I have seen really talented kids who were very determined and then one day they no longer want to do gymnastics. There are others who are average and end up doing really well and stick with it.

Yes, without a doubt. In Australia we choose our elites very young (4-6 years old) and train them in a separate program. When selecting athletes you look for the personality as much as the body.

The kids need to be very active, they sorts of training hours they will do require a very high energy kid. Usually as a little kid they are in quite a bit of trouble at the gym. They hate to be still, they hate to be bored and they often try things that they shouldn't. As they grow older this equates into a high energy kid who needs a challenge and isn't afraid of the skills they will have to do.

They need to be determined and driven and to love challenging themselves.

Do you think that elite gymnasts have a certain personality type that you can see from a young age? It seems like they are different from other kids. I know my DD is way more focused and serious than other kids, and she doesn't mind spending her hours in the gym and then doing extra TOPS training and private lessons. She knows it will get us closer to our goal of going Elite. Most kids couldn't handle what she does. I know that. There's just something special about her, and I think that maybe there is a certain personality type that is cut out to be an elite athlete. What do you think?

*sigh* you want an honest answer?

Yes, there are particular personality types, BUT even if a kid is talented and has the right personality, odds of her making it to elite are still very slim.

When you say closer to "our" goal of reaching elite, I just hope it is not your DD's goal because she wants to make you happy? Many kids will go to those extra tops training and private lessons because they know mom's goal is to have an elite child, not necesarily because the child wants it. How old is your DD? Most children do not even have the understanding of what elite actually entails.

Do you think that elite gymnasts have a certain personality type that you can see from a young age? It seems like they are different from other kids. (1.) I know my DD is way more focused and serious than other kids, and she doesn't mind spending her hours in the gym and then doing extra TOPS training and private lessons. (2.)She knows it will get us closer to our goal of going Elite.(3.) Most kids couldn't handle what she does. I know that. There's just something special about her, and I think that maybe there is a certain personality type that is cut out to be an elite athlete. What do you think?

i don't know this mom. and i don't want to appear presumptious. these are just 'things' that jump out at me in literal interpretation:

1. i just don't know how someone would know this.

2. don't like the use of the word "us" and "our".

3. i just don't know how someone would know this.

I have been at this for a long time. most of the parents that i have known in the sport didn't know jack. over time, they didn't want to know jack. and when their child got good they wanted to know how much more jack would cost. and how much more time jack wanted. jack made them tired most nights so they finally got their teenage son/daughter a car so that they didn't have to look at jack all week long. and when their careers were over they couldn't believe what jack had done for their sons or daughters.

never and "i" or an "us" in their telling experience. and i sincerely mean this with kindness.

No, I dont. I think there are kids who naturally work hard, and like to please. I think there are kids who are competitive-but those things are not an "elite" personality. They are a "personality" of a child who will be successful at whatever he/she may do- whether it be Level 5 or elite, or playing the piano. There are many physically talented children in gymnastics-you will see them all at TOPs testing. If you attend you should definitely go to the parents lecture.

So much of elite gymnastics success is luck-not too many injuries, being able to have the right coaches close to your support system, being at the right age at the right time for peaking, not wanting to become a cheerleader in high school, having "teammates" that will progress w/ her so she is not alone, parents that are supportive but not too supportive....

Kids must also be fearless, but not too fearless, be paced at the right time with the bulk of her time spent while she is young w/ physical preperation and basic skill development. There are many other factors as well, and all the stars need to be aligned for a true elite athlete to develop.

Be warned Future Elite Mom- you and your daughter have a LONG HARD road ahead. Good luck to you both.

I agree with Dunno, Geoffrey and Gymcoach34...and there are so many red flags in the original post but the biggest for me was the statement "OUR GOAL"...and she mentions that her daughter does TOPS so she is a maximum of 11 years old ...but I guess what I want to say is what does she (the gymnast ) really want? She may "want elite" or see it as a goal at this point but the prior posters were correct in saying that it is kind of a crap shoot as to who actually will make elite. And the elite scene is tough, it's never good enough, someone always nipping at your heels ...and sometimes while they may be good enough to DO elite they don't want all that goes with it...and the mom should prepare for her to change her mind as well if that happens.

I dont want to come off as negative. I have been there, done that so I just wanted the OP to understand that it takes more than "personality" to be come an elite gymnast. If she was a parent of one of my gymnasts, I would tell her to drop the focus off elite and make sure she pays the bills and that her kid is happy & healtly.

This is an interesting topic and it kind of goes hand in hand with a thread that I was curious about as well:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/c...-gymnasts-have-thrill-seeker-personality.html

I think that there are some personality traits that help gymnasts endure in the sport of gymnastics but I do think that getting to the Elite Level has a lot to do with the right coaches, timing and luck.

I once read Shannon Miller's biography that her mom wrote and she said that Shannon was very timid and quiet as a child. She also cried A LOT at practice over everything. Had she been at a different gym with other coaches that did not allow crying or were more strict, would Shannon have progressed as far as she did with the sport? I also read somewhere or heard on a documentary that Kerry Strug was a bit unpredictable in practices and nicknamed "scary Kerry" because she would bail out of skills. If you look at all elite gymnasts they all have different personalities and I really don't know if there is a common trait running through them.

Future Elite--I think many gym moms see a lot of potential in their kids and say that they are more serious than others or gym is "their life". But the reality of them actually making elite is very small. It is best to take gymnastics one year at a time and not worry too much about the future. Think of it this way, if we have never tasted filet mignon before but only heard about how great it is and that is all we think about, then eating ground beef or other cuts of steak or meat will always taste "not as good" because we are waiting for the taste of filet mignon that we haven't even experienced yet. That may not be the best analogy but that's all I could think of.

OK, I can see that I worded my original post wrong. Elite is not "OUR" goal. It is my DD's goal. Yes, she told me that. Yes, she understands what it means. She watches Elites all the time on TV and on YouTube. I made sure she was at a gym where Elites train so that she would understand Elite training. She gets it. It is what she wants, and I will support her in her goals, even if it means sacrifice for me.

My original question wasn't about goals but about personality. It just seems that Elite gymnasts have a certain personality type. I wondered if other people had noticed it. I guess its true for all Elite athletes. I didn't mean to offend anyone. When I watch practices, I notice a difference in how my DD practices than some of the kids that aren't Fast Trackers. I'm sure that's why they picked her for the program. Her skills are advanced, but her personality is very suited to intense training. I was just wondering if others had noticed that those at the top had similar personality traits. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Future Elite--I think many gym moms see a lot of potential in their kids and say that they are more serious than others or gym is "their life". But the reality of them actually making elite is very small. It is best to take gymnastics one year at a time and not worry too much about the future. Think of it this way, if we have never tasted filet mignon before but only heard about how great it is and that is all we think about, then eating ground beef or other cuts of steak or meat will always taste "not as good" because we are waiting for the taste of filet mignon that we haven't even experienced yet. That may not be the best analogy but that's all I could think of.

MadGymMom - I do not eat meat, but I do know talent when I see it!

Thanks for your comments, though.

I have to agree with others have mentioned here. I think personality is only one small percentage of becoming Elite. It's a long road and right now you want to make sure she is happy, stays healthy, and you never loose sight of what her goals are. Be prepared for bumps in the road!

Oh, sorry, I meant MdGymMom. I read it wrong. Sorry.

No problem. It's amazing how one little letter can totally change a name LOL

But, considering gymnastics is such a LONG road, especially to the Elite level, even talent at the age of 7, 8, 9 or however old your dd is, is no predictor of how she will do as she gets older and higher up in the levels. Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but I have seen too many "talented" athletes in gymnastics and high level cheer just drop out due to so many unforeseen factors. I don't doubt that your dd has talent, but it is best to embrace her talent TODAY then focus too much on an unforeseen and unpredictable FUTURE.

I think everybody here is trying to send you the same message. There are so many factors that will come into play regarding your dd's gymnastics future (primary among them would be physical health/injury, burnout and puberty) that it is unrealisitic and probably counterproductive to call yourself 'futureelitemom' at this point. Remember that this journey is a marathon, and too fast too soon will serve no good to your dd or you. I wish you both all the luck in the world and may there be peace and contentment in your lives, no matter how the gym journey turns out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back